You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

No orcs? Then what's the point!

Nazgul it is. Black sheet is low budget.

Also verboden ;_; No evil races... So, no fun basically.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Gollum's a hobbit. :lol:

Hahaha!! That'd be glorius! XD

... I just realized how perfect that'd be... They'd get to see me in nothing but a loincloth. And they would've dug their own grave! :D

EPIC!

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Today's crazy guy on the street was trying to sing Manowar. A nice change from the ranting about some race or aliens.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

​You know your cat is diabetic when he refuses to eat meat - chicken, tuna, salmon, doesn't matter - and will only eat that dried pure carb crap... What a stupid cat I have.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have a habit of watching TV for 15-30 or so minutes every time I eat, and the past few days I kept seeing ads for the "last role/performance of Daniel Day Lewis" and thought he'd died, which made me a little sad since I knew he wasn't super old. Then I finally looked it up - guess he's just retiring. They could have worded it better. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a habit of watching TV for 15-30 or so minutes every time I eat, and the past few days I kept seeing ads for the "last role/performance of Daniel Day Lewis" and thought he'd died, which made me a little sad since I knew he wasn't super old. Then I finally looked it up - guess he's just retiring. They could have worded it better. :disguise:

but you might not have read the article if they worded it different.

in a similar vein, we do mourn the absence of gene hackman from hollywood.  tommy lee jones is a guy who appears to loathe hollywood and humanity in general, but am enjoying him as an actor. is too bad hackman couldn't channel his inner curmudgeon as has mr. jones and squeezed out a few more films. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In may/june last year I got a salary of 24444SEK, despite being home alot from pulling teeth. This december, despite working more hours and 30 hours on sundays aswell, and having the same amount of sickday I earned 24307...

I'm going to ****ing murder someone on monday.

Edited by Azdeus

I was surprised when you mentioned that there's no clock in / clock out system and everything is kind of on the honor system. That would never fly here. Well, unless you're on salary of course, then they can work you like a dog.

I've benefitted from the honor system, getting extra hours for working, but I'd rather have a system where I can't get such bonuses and nothing gets missed than having 4 production officers trying to keep track of 130 peoples hours.

I'd have an easier time understanding if I was working on the floor like the other 126 people, but I'm one of the very few people that work with marshalling (Think this is the right word) trailers and I'm in almost constant radio communications with them, when I'm not face to face talking to them, several times per day.

I went cellar diving today, in the hunt of some really old RAW format images. First, I found my old Toshiba laptop (20 years old, almost to this day).

And it woke up after all this time, without a cord and a transformer, but it shut down within a minute. I dove into my cellar again, and after half an hour of rummaging, I did find the cord+transformer.

And lo and behold, screen and everything works. Windows 98 and Word 97, the screen, the touchpad, everything worked like a charm.

I wonder how long these little buggers can survive! :nuke:

EDIT: And yeah, I found the photos too, plus some old ones I had forgotten.

EDIT 2: Weird cellar facts: Pretty damp, semi dirt-floor in places. The laptop itself was in a cardboard box with some old books and cords and stuff. This box stood 1 m from the boiler, and just 2 from a frequently used wood burner (up until like 3 yrs ago). It smelled a bit of soot, iron, and dust. The temperature there over the years must have varied between 50 degrees Celsius to 5 degrees in a few odd days (when we were away during the winter). Ideal for a laptop, huh?

EDIT3: I love how internet-free it is. No required online bullsh*t, and everything's just plug and play.

EDIT4: This laptop is older than quite a number of those that visit these forums and play the Obsidian games.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Today, I literally fell of the chair when it hit me that the Bohemian Rhapsody is a retelling of Camus’ Stranger.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I believe that was one of three separate influences.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

--I still miss Win98. Not because it was the best thing evah, but because ... I understood it.

--I'm used to Win7 now but it's where I stopped being a "computer" person because I became fed up trying to keep up with such things. I have it set up and leave it alone and rarely do anything deeper but play games/edit pictures/surf the net on it now. Most anything else is a mystery. :p

--I still haven't built a new rig because I don't want to deal with Win10. Everyone, including my husband who knows me best, says I'll hate changing to Win10 100x more than I hated changing to Win7 and so...

--maybe if I overclock my old i7 to 3.2 and stick more RAM on the mobo.

--in a few years I bet more games will be Win10 only, plus there's the DX thing.

--I could build new rig just to game on and keep old rig, but that never works long term because one gets fed up switching and transfering files and all of that constantly.

--I could just give up PC's entirely.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

​On the other hand, if you stay on Windows 7, you help contribute to developers not being able to afford to switch to W10/DX12 only, as it's still much too big of a demographic to ignore. :D

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Had a nice swim this morning. I haven't really done regular lap swimming since I was a kid, so it has been interesting getting back into the routine. After a month I've got my front crawl back in shape somewhat, so I can hopefully do that this summer in the triathlon. I put in 1800 meters in about 40 minutes, so my pacing is coming along. It's an interesting crowd at 6 AM in the morning, a mix of high schoolers and tech company guys. Other than asking to split lanes, I've managed to avoid communication for the most part.  :p

Wetsuit shopping is next on the agenda.

Hubby: "I just spent too much and bought an expensive geek item online."

Me: "Geek item?"

Hubby: "A 3-D printer."

Me: (envisioning thousands) "And what is 'expensive?'"

Hubby: "$300."

Me: "Oh, is that all. ... You and I have very different ideas of expensive. **Seen our monthly groceries expense lately? Inflation? Y'know?" 

I had no idea you could get 3d printer for so cheap. I wonder what kind of quality you get for that. He wants it because he's always wanting these little "parts" that no one makes anymore so now he can experiment with making them himself, or something, I guess. It'll be cool to see one in person tho, vs. just videos. Maybe it'll get me more excited about them vs. just vaguely interested in their far-future potential.

As to hubby - well, let's just say even if he won a huge lottery, he'd still complain about having to spend more than a buck-fifty on almost anything.

**edit: I hope that doesn't come off as snobbish. I just mean in relation to our income. It's no longer $3.50/hr like back in the 80's...

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

Spent the day arguing with angry nerds on Reddit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The small things occasionally drive home how much money Amazon must be making.

My phone went wonky, and I needed a new one, so rather then get stuck in an expensive two year contract, I thought I'd do the initial expenditure, buy a new phone, and keep a small sim only contract. Thus, I ordered a Blackberry Keyone from Amazon.

It turned up, but they dropped it in the porch without signing for it, and the packaging was...bizarely odd for an Amazon package. A normal amazon paperback size box was cellotaped around the phones box. Not properly sealed, not the right size, and with no protective packing inside.

So I emailed Amazon about this, and without batting an eye, without asking for any proof or evidence, they simply waved it with a "Eh, we'll refund you. Or if you want to keep it, we'll refund you 20% of the cost."  

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Man, today I googled housing prices in Vancouver for fun, but the prices are so crazy high, how is anyone "normal" able to live in the city? The only more or less cheap places I could find looked... so bad. One was a single room where the bed was right next to the sink and the cooking place, and this one room costs almost as much as my tiny 3 room apartment in Potsdam (it's already expensive here as well). Seriously, does every single factory worker or server come from the city borders? Is it a city full of rich people (because nobody else can afford it)?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Man, today I googled housing prices in Vancouver for fun, but the prices are so crazy high, how is anyone "normal" able to live in the city? The only more or less cheap places I could find looked... so bad. One was a single room where the bed was right next to the sink and the cooking place, and this one room costs almost as much as my tiny 3 room apartment in Potsdam (it's already expensive here as well). Seriously, does every single factory worker or server come from the city borders? Is it a city full of rich people (because nobody else can afford it)?

*looks up 2017/2018 median Vancouver home prices*

...sounds about the same as San Francisco, which went over 1 million US recently as well. SF Bay Area as a whole is lower than that (600k?) but it's still just nuts and the lower priced places are tiny or run down or in undesired spots. Our postage stamp 980sq. ft. 3bd/1ba single-family, which we bought for around $575k 9 years ago (just before or just as the major US crash) would be over a million now, which I find absurd for a 9year period that includes a long market crash. Even during the height of the crash it never went below $500k. Lack of housing for population continuously wanting to live here for some unfathomable reason = bidding wars between the richer people, inflating the value in seller's/market's minds.

...salaries for higher paying type jobs tend to be inflated in metro, but if you're not in one of those lines of work, then yeah, good luck affording a decent home in large metro areas these days for most/the average worker. You save up and if the economy depresses, try to jump in before the banks start to tighten up. Or have mom and dad help and co-signers etc.

...even the rent around here is nuts (probably $2500-$3000ish for 1bd/1ba). I often wonder how all the service/retail workers manage. It's one reason ppl want the minimum wage raised a lot, but then of course service prices would skyrocket, meaning even less living affordability, etc. Endless conundrum.

Edited by LadyCrimson

We've had our place for almost 8 years now and now we can sell it for about 50% more than we bought it for and we aren't even coastal.

I'm trying to cut the cord again now that I've signed up with Webpass and get gig internet for 45 bucks a month. I saw that Hulu has a live TV option for 40 bucks and a free trial so I'm going to give that a try. I already pay for Amazon and Netflix so here's hoping that Hulu and an antenna are up to the task.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21