You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

Doesn't really look like it's throwing the flames.   This looks cool....not sure how it is legal though :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yesterday/today I haven't felt much like gaming so instead I've been browsing through the entire collection of Ebert's film reviews that are archived on his site. I rarely visit the site anymore since his passing - with no single voice there anymore the site is boring - but I'm glad they've kept his archive up. I started on the very last page (there's over 450 pages with multiple reviews each page) and have been slowly making my way through a lot of them. It's an interesting re-walk through some of film's history, so to speak. I still miss Ebert a lot. I think I only agreed with his star-conclusion maybe 65% of the time but his rating wasn't why I read his reviews.

Only film reviewer I like these days is still James Berardinelli. His "ReelThoughts" essays are often interesting reads as well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yesterday/today I haven't felt much like gaming so instead I've been browsing through the entire collection of Ebert's film reviews that are archived on his site. I rarely visit the site anymore since his passing - with no single voice there anymore the site is boring - but I'm glad they've kept his archive up. I started on the very last page (there's over 450 pages with multiple reviews each page) and have been slowly making my way through a lot of them. It's an interesting re-walk through some of film's history, so to speak. I still miss Ebert a lot. I think I only agreed with his star-conclusion maybe 65% of the time but his rating wasn't why I read his reviews.

Only film reviewer I like these days is still James Berardinelli. His "ReelThoughts" essays are often interesting reads as well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Spent the day fixing 4 issues so I can try to reproduce an issue for a client...only to have the client say the issue's not an issue for them, so essentially the day's work was pointless.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think I'm getting console-controller elbow from having the forearms bent inwards to hold it.  :disguise:

Think I figured out that it's more from sitting at the desk, not the controller use. I guess I've been angling my arm to use the mouse weirdly lately or not enough of my forearm is resting on the desk surface so lack of support or something. Pfft. I did think it was odd it'd be the controller, since I played XV for months last year with no problem, so this is good and hopefully fixable/preventable with a desk/chair adjustment again.

...I remember when I used to sit at the computer for hours and hours with my feet propped up on the desk, slouching in the chair in a way that my back/head had to swivel to view monitor, mouse arm all akimbo, and it didn't bother me, my legs, my arms, my back etc at all. When I was a kid I used to sit in this really weird position in chairs to watch TV - half on my back with legs folded up against my stomach like I was doing crunches. I miss those days.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Winter has been longer and colder than expected. I have to cut and split some more firewood today.

Also here is tip for getting rid of fire ants if you have critters and don't want to use pesticides. Pour a pot of boiling water on the mound. That works really, really well. And you get to gloat over their bodies. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The cheap DIY 3D printer: hubby's been fiddling with this thing for a while now, always in the garage. Power supply (he had to put that together) and fans were cheap and installing the wires/cables was a mess and he spent time making it all tidy, but it works. If he likes the concept enough he may try another kit down the road. Past few days he's been trying to calibrate all the settings so the printing ends up smooth/clean and his test subject is ... a lego brick. Thus there is now a small growing pile of lego bricks on his bench, from rather poorly formed to "almost there." It's rather hypnotizing to watch the thing. I don't think I've seen hubby have this much fun since he was making lasers. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkhUyA5VW3g

Now hubby's making spindle holders. Like a kid in a candy store.

Also, I was eating a pear and he jumps up saying "save the core for me!" I asked why - apparently the worms like them. For his garden (which is quite large this year). He's becoming quite the hobbyist again - which is better than sitting around watching TV all day, so I approve.

Myself - errands and then maybe a nice long walk. Weather has been pretty nice here, for early Feb. Then I'm going to bake some coffecakes.

• Like 1

My gf is hungover and spent the day reading in bed so I did the productive thing and watched a lot of movies between posting stuff on my phone.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Happy the Pats lost

I thought Tide won the commercial battle but the Dundee bit was good too

Update! Wife got into a car accident. She's fine but the car is the opposite. Now onto dealing with the insurance.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

**doldrums, SIGH**

...that is all, carry on.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Browsed class options for my local community college online. Getting to an age where I need something to fall back on or lift myself up.

Taking care if sick family, the woman is sick with the flu so been taking care of her and giving her space and meds. Thankfully the kids have only been getting a cold here and there, definitely sick season around here.

Went to the dentist. A tooth busted on Monday.

I haven't been to a dentist in a while, but the checkup went better than expected. Only one cavity and it's too small to do anything with. But I need a deep clean and a crown for the busted tooth. With a quote that's making me take the idea of dental medical tourism seriously...

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The nice weather continues so I'm off for another walk. Still gets "cold-ish" late night but noon-evening feels like Spring to me.

Update! Wife got into a car accident. She's fine but the car is the opposite. Now onto dealing with the insurance.

I'm glad the wife's fine, even if the car isn't. :)

• Like 1

Man, how did I not look into this thread for several days?

@Shady: Glad the missus was ok!

@Tale: I was in a similar boat as you. I hadnt bothered to go to the dentist for *cough20yearscough* and needed to get some work done on a tooth, and let me tell you, it felt like I went through a time warp. I needed a crown too but it would take a week or so to be made so in the meantime he literally fashioned a tooth out of this putty like substance, put some yellow lens safety glasses on me and grabbed a wand which illuminated the putty in a blue laser for ~8-10 seconds and BOOM, the tooth was done. Fully hardened and ready for chewing almost instantly. I'm so old I actually have "silver amalgam" in some other fillings but the stuff a modern dentist can do was just short of wizardry to me. I was honestly flabbergasted. :lol: 

• Like 1

I feel like something happened to this thread, because I don't remember reading the last couple days either. Glad to hear your wife is ok Shady.

I took my new bike in for a tune-up because it was dropping gears. I've also got a bruised knee and hip and it is hurting my training, but I did run a PR for a 5k yesterday. It helped that students were running the 400 meter while I was doing it and I kept trying to keep them from passing me.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

This is what you get when you buy stuff from fellow nerds overseas:

ou9WdgJ.jpg

If I'd known the guy I got this from would go all out with these stamps I would have asked him to use a Battle and Action stamps on this.

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

After printing more legos, spindles, lettered blocks, and various other little do-dads, hubby printed a chess rook, something like this one:

3Drook01.jpg

Nothing really exciting, but it did have me thinking that oh, I guess I could use it to print out a whole RISK set, or missing Monopoly houses, or other game items like that. Finally, something I might actually use the thing myself, for! ;)

He's mostly been using other people's object programs but he tweaks them and is trying to learn how to write his own. I'm starting to think I won't be "seeing" my husband much until summer.

• Like 1