You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

Aha! So that's why that 3D printer was so cheap. It's a DIY thing. So many parts to put together. Hubby might have it done by this evening.

This morning ... missing my cat. Missing my mother. Avoiding the grocery store again but darnit I'm out of caffeine. Standing by the wall heater with wild bed hair with a cup of coffee stolen from my hubby's pot, feeling grumpy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Man, today I googled housing prices in Vancouver for fun, but the prices are so crazy high, how is anyone "normal" able to live in the city? The only more or less cheap places I could find looked... so bad. One was a single room where the bed was right next to the sink and the cooking place, and this one room costs almost as much as my tiny 3 room apartment in Potsdam (it's already expensive here as well). Seriously, does every single factory worker or server come from the city borders? Is it a city full of rich people (because nobody else can afford it)?

*looks up 2017/2018 median Vancouver home prices*

...sounds about the same as San Francisco, which went over 1 million US recently as well. SF Bay Area as a whole is lower than that (600k?) but it's still just nuts and the lower priced places are tiny or run down or in undesired spots. Our postage stamp 980sq. ft. 3bd/1ba single-family, which we bought for around $575k 9 years ago (just before or just as the major US crash) would be over a million now, which I find absurd for a 9year period that includes a long market crash. Even during the height of the crash it never went below $500k. Lack of housing for population continuously wanting to live here for some unfathomable reason = bidding wars between the richer people, inflating the value in seller's/market's minds.

...salaries for higher paying type jobs tend to be inflated in metro, but if you're not in one of those lines of work, then yeah, good luck affording a decent home in large metro areas these days for most/the average worker. You save up and if the economy depresses, try to jump in before the banks start to tighten up. Or have mom and dad help and co-signers etc.

...even the rent around here is nuts (probably $2500-$3000ish for 1bd/1ba). I often wonder how all the service/retail workers manage. It's one reason ppl want the minimum wage raised a lot, but then of course service prices would skyrocket, meaning even less living affordability, etc. Endless conundrum.

My mothers cousin was really lucky when he moved to Vancouver. He bought a piece of land that was a bit off from the main area of the city in the 60's or so wich turned into ludicrously attractive property now. He sold his house, bought a really nice downtown apartment and sailboat, and still has alot of money left over.

Also; Helped a friend move today, got treated to pizza ofcourse, but the highlight for me was reversing the trailer(Because ofcourse :p ) into their very tight and windy yard with speed, precision and finesse enough to gather a crowd of neighbours and getting applauses. :)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Some modeling supplies I got from and online shop had an ad with a picture of a closet full of boxes that said "Closet full of unbuilt models? We'll buy them!"

I think that store knows its customers a little too well. _Glances at shelf full of boxes of Warhammer minis that have yet to be painted and assembled_

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Fell asleep around 3pm yesterday, woke up at 5am. >.>  Guess I was tired.

Waiting for MHW to download. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

MHW?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think I'm getting console-controller elbow from having the forearms bent inwards to hold it.  :disguise:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeectic day today at work, the main lady who does all the invoicing for the business unit I manage is on leave till next week 5/02/2018

I have to do some of her work and its really time consuming and frustrating .....oh she is on  holiday in the USA, so THANKS AMERICA for being a holiday destination...you guys are so selfish sometimes  ;)

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heeeeeeeeeeeeectic day today at work, the main lady who does all the invoicing for the business unit I manage is on leave till next week 5/02/2018

I have to do some of her work and its really time consuming and frustrating .....oh she is on  holiday in the USA, so THANKS AMERICA for being a holiday destination...you guys are so selfish sometimes  ;)

Don't thank US thank Capitalism, because without it your greedy boss might have hired more people instead of dumping the work on your lap.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Don't thank US thank Capitalism, because without it your greedy boss might have hired more people instead of dumping the work on your lap.

That may seem like a good idea but then there cost comes off my P&L for the business unit....and that reduces the chance of me making my number and getting a fat bonus  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What company hires a new person because some other person went on vacation? :wacko:

Could be hires to increase the slack in the planning? Is also the hit by bus factor.

Today, lady at work commented that I am not as weird as she first thought. Not sure what to make of that :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If the work wasn't time sensitive then it would wait but most stuff was moved off to other people. It was only the higher up types who got temps and even then it was just for the menial stuff and anything important or requiring certain skillsets was handed off to other employees.

Now at my current place work mostly stops if someone is out. It's been difficult to adjust to.

Free games updated 3/4/21

If I went on vacation for a week it would probably be three days before I was even missed!  :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Meh. I'm getting a little envious. I have a ton of vacation credits that I can't use at the moment. I'd like a job where nobody would miss me for a week or two. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Meh. I'm getting a little envious. I have a ton of vacation credits that I can't use at the moment. I'd like a job where nobody would miss me for a week or two. ;)

The joys of government work. And being the low man on the totem pole. 

Thomas Sowell

The joys of government work. And being the low man on the totem pole. 

the irony being the lowest portion o' a totem pole typical is commanding the most respect... or such is our understanding. is not a plains indian tradition, so am getting our info from a couple "native american art" classes we took. such poles is often telling stories and is 'read' bottom-to-top.  most important characters is closer to ground where is most visible and recognizable.

'course we know exact what you meant so is just pointless interjection on our part.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I didn't know that. That is pretty cool.

Thomas Sowell

That is getting stored away for use at a later time.

...Ofcourse I'm going to twist it to my own logic, because I am a bastard like that :p

• Like 1