Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #40 - Multiclassing Part II

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5071 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Presumably if and when they increase the level range to beyond 20, multi-classed characters will eventually have access to the more powerful abilities now available only to single-classed characters. I'll be curious to see if they ever explore "epic" level campaigns.

What would happen, I wonder, if this system were adopted to allow a player to select a second class at a higher level, adopting the same progression scheme?  Would it lead to unfavorable character designs?

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know they gave the example of the wizards missile spell getting more missile on greater power levels. stuff like that dont know how it works for all spells   

I knew it worked like that in the original idea of the mutliclass system, I just thought that everything about that system was scrapped now.

Ye spells and abilities scale giving single class an advantage with power. 

Edited by draego, 22 September 2017 - 10:42 AM.

• limaxophobiacq likes this

Piero

Piero

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

I was more interested in conceptual descriptions of the subclasses rather than mechanical descriptions :c

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
Overall I am thrilled about this update..... but they can't come up with a better name than 'Contemplative' for a Monk Priest? It's... boring. This is a fantasy CRPG for crying out loud. We have the awesomeness of a Corpse Eater paired with a Contemplative?

Come on Josh we know the team is much more creative than that!

This game is going to have ENDLESS replay with all of the build choices. Oh YEAH!

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5071 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Kind Wayfarers - Flames of Devotion (Sword and the Shepherd) heals nearby allies.  Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, Wael, or Skaen.

Does this (somewhat) nerf the rogue class, if you multi-class priest/rogue?

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Kind Wayfarers - Flames of Devotion (Sword and the Shepherd) heals nearby allies.  Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, Wael, or Skaen.

Does this (somewhat) nerf the rogue class, if you multi-class priest/rogue?

As written it severly nerfs the damage dealing capability of a King Wayfarer Paladin. It says "does less damage against enemies vulnerable to sneak attack", to my mind that means any enemy that has an affliction that enables Sneak Attacks, regardless of whether there is a Rogue to take advantage. I hope that it actually means "does less damage against enemies under attack from a Rogue benefiting from Sneak Attack".

Assuming it only applies when an enemy is actually being Sneak Attacked, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Have your Paladin attack someone else to your Rogue, and if there's only one enemy simply accept that your Paladin will do less damage (they're not meant to be big damage dealers anyway).

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5071 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, sorry, I should have said rogue/paladin multi-class, which seems like a weird combo anyway.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, sorry, I should have said rogue/paladin multi-class, which seems like a weird combo anyway.

Yeah, that combo (with a Kind Wayfarer at least) does sound not great.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14865 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well - why not? You can attack enemies with afflictions with your rogue abilities - and when there are no enmies with afflictions you can use your FoD to deal damage. It's more like balancing things out instaed of adding them up, but it's maybe not too bad. It's not great either I have to admit though... ;)

I wonder if the second talent of the paladin orders will still be in as pickable option? Like Strange Mercy, The Black Path and stuff? Would be a pity if not.

Edited by Boeroer, 23 September 2017 - 01:48 AM.

• JerekKruger likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I wonder if the second talent of the paladin orders will still be in as pickable option? Like Strange Mercy, The Black Path and stuff? Would be a pity if not.

I was wondering the same thing. I hope so, and it would be even cooler if each had further modified ability trees with unique variants of many powers.

Kadayko

Kadayko

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts

''Soul Blade - Offensive cipher that can dump Focus into a Soul Annihilation melee attack for extra Raw damage.  Shred powers have reduced Focus cost.  Lower Max Focus''

What are Shred powers? 

Edited by Kadayko, 24 September 2017 - 07:46 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What are Shred powers? 

No one other than Obsidian knows at this point. I'd guess direct damage powers but beyond that I have no idea.

• fortuntek likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 579 posts

It seems all or at least most classes have more consistent keywords to their powers now. Shred is one of them.

Welperooni

Welperooni

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

This does seem like an AWESOME addition. Loving the updates so far!

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What are Shred powers?

No one other than Obsidian knows at this point. I'd guess direct damage powers but beyond that I have no idea.

I'd hazard a guess that it's "Disintegration" type spells, single target raw damage over time that end in destroying the target, like Detonation etc
  • JerekKruger likes this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well - why not? You can attack enemies with afflictions with your rogue abilities - and when there are no enmies with afflictions you can use your FoD to deal damage. It's more like balancing things out instaed of adding them up, but it's maybe not too bad. It's not great either I have to admit though... ;)

Sneak attack in PoE 1 only works with certain afflictions, right---"when the target is BlindedFlankedHobbledParalyzedPetrifiedProneStuckStunned, or Weakened"?

Kind Wayfarer - Rogue isn't going to be an optimal DPS build, and most of the PoE 1 Rogue debuffs trigger sneak attack, but what about the Trickster (gets wizard illusion spells in exchange for weaker sneak attack)? The obvious seeming PoE 1 Illusion spells don't trigger sneak attack:

Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights - dazed

Bewildering Spectacle - confused

Confusion

Arkemyr's Wondrous Torment 

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage - sickened / terrified

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror 

Llengrath's Dread Haze - Sickened

(Not sure if Arkemyr's Capricious Hex or Wall of Many Colors would be illusion, they do cause paralyze.)

And about half the likely Illusion spells prevent damage (wizard's double, mirror image, etc., maybe even the spells that create a duplicate/dummy of the caster). So a Kind Wayfarer-Trickster tank/support character might not be bad.

(Though why not just KW - Illusionist? PoE 2 rogue is supposed to be sturdier than in PoE 1... and there's also Adept Evasion. But the main advantage might be the rogue's ability to disengage and move around the battlefield to get within range to heal or rescue squishies---the PoE 2 video showed the icon for Coordinated Positioning.)  

Wonder what schools the wizard spells from PoE 1 will be put in. They'll probably add some to balance out the schools and their different power levels. If the Trickster gets access to the highest level illusion spells... would that even be worth it? Obvious "illusion" spells in PoE 1 seem to taper off at higher levels with the exception of Llengrath's Dread Haze (which I've never tried---I guess "foe health and endurance concealed for 20 seconds" means they won't initiate any heals triggered by low endurance?).

Edited by SaruNi, 24 September 2017 - 06:55 PM.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I normally don't like skill trees that much, but this Deadfire skill tree, it makes the Grand Arch Druid of All Mo'Fo Treehuggers!

Overall, this update boosted my already ridiculously whetted appetite for this game logarithmically.

Deadfire is shaping up to become a true CRPG classic, I'm so very glad I backed this, and I am a proud Black Isle bastard.

Aargh!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 25 September 2017 - 10:30 AM.

• Karkarov likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

When it comes to multiclassing I really don't care, would prefer prestige classes... but the hype is strong nonetheless.

Shout out to all you Warrior/Ranger/Cleric/Mage/Squirrel/Carrot/Communists out there.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14865 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Logarithmically?
  • IndiraLightfoot, kanisatha and JerekKruger like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Heh! I was sleeping. I meant exponentially, since "logarithmically" in this case would mean very slow. :lol:

• Bill Gates' Son, injurai, kanisatha and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users