HBO Game of Thrones Season 6!

ktchong

So Arya let herself be stabbed like an utter fool, the waif managed to fall for the ol' "stay under water a while" spiel like an utter fool and the Brotherhood Without Banners is nothing more than a band of common thugs and House Mormont commands all of 62 fighting men to make Sansa accept Littlefinger's help (if that what the letter was supposed to be).

If it weren't for Emma Peel telling Queen Gorgo off this would have been a total loss. Even Bronn was terrible.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Swearengen had a good run. Too bad he died before Ian McShane could get off a "C--Sucker" or two for old times' sake.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So Arya let herself be stabbed like an utter fool, the waif managed to fall for the ol' "stay under water a while" spiel like an utter fool and the Brotherhood Without Banners is nothing more than a band of common thugs and House Mormont commands all of 62 fighting men to make Sansa accept Littlefinger's help (if that what the letter was supposed to be).

If it weren't for Emma Peel telling Queen Gorgo off this would have been a total loss. Even Bronn was terrible.

Agreed. I would add how terrible Jon's regression as a character is. The former Lord Commander that defended the wall against the Wildlings with a far smaller force, infiltrator of the Wildlings, survivor of the ranging north of the wall isn't capable of making eye contact with a 10 year old and can't show any backbone against a Glover. sarcasm/ Ned Stark's "son", indeed. /sarcasm. Even more strange is he just had a convincing speech to gain the Wildling support to take back Winterfell. It's wishy washy at best, and terrible writing at worst. I'm leaning toward the worst case scenario.

Arya gets stabbed 4 times and walks it off. Silly.

What a waste of Ian McShane, and a horrid use of the Meribald character to boot. All around a dissatisfying episode.

The best part was the Blackfish, IMHO.

The are really trying to beat the Starks down this season. As if the past 5 seasons weren't enough. I guess it will continue until episode 9 or 10, and it will turn it around or the cliffhanger will give hope for a brighter tomorrow for the Starks. It's getting trying either way.

Also, the preview for next week... Book Jaime > TV Jaime. He needs to get a spine when it comes to Cersei. I'm tired of his Cersei worship already.

Edit: Jon name dropped Manderly a few times. That means he will likely show up. My fingers are crossed he retains his character in this. I hope he gets his speech with Davos. One of the best parts of the 5th book IMHO.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 4

Benjen showed up. That's something. That is a revelation I hope is a bit different in the books, but that is mostly because it is one of the easier explanations for Benjen. It seems too easy. I expected the episode to be a bit humdrum for setup for any upcoming mayhem.

GRRM stated flat out that Benjen is not Coldhands because we have seen a ADWD manuscript page with Martin's and his editor's notes where that question was asked:

Cushing-Coldhands-is-NOT-Benjen_1200_900

Leaf also stated that Coldhands was killed "a long time ago" and for a Child it seems odd that it would be a ranger who died fairly recently, given their lifespan.

Not that I trust that resounding "No" here any more than I trust Leaf's words. Plus, why else would the show pull out Benjen after 6 years (with the same actor to boot)? Questions, questions...

I almost didn't recognize Brutus though. For a moment I thought they swapped him for Faramir. ;)

Because of course authors can not possibly lie in order for their books to not be ruined.

Assuming he was Coldhands, what the f would Martin say? 

"Yeah you totally got me. It's Coldhands. I'm going to admit it and spoil my own book's twist, just because some reader guess right/asked, for millions of other fans, and those who may read in the future. You got me. The jig is up."

Edited by Zenman12

Agreed. I would add how terrible Jon's regression as a character is. The former Lord Commander that defended the wall against the Wildlings with a far smaller force, infiltrator of the Wildlings, survivor of the ranging north of the wall isn't capable of making eye contact with a 10 year old and can't show any backbone against a Glover. sarcasm/ Ned Stark's "son", indeed. /sarcasm. Even more strange is he just had a convincing speech to gain the Wildling support to take back Winterfell. It's wishy washy at best, and terrible writing at worst. I'm leaning toward the worst case scenario.

Arya gets stabbed 4 times and walks it off. Silly.

What a waste of Ian McShane, and a horrid use of the Meribald character to boot. All around a dissatisfying episode.

The best part was the Blackfish, IMHO.

The are really trying to beat the Starks down this season. As if the past 5 seasons weren't enough. I guess it will continue until episode 9 or 10, and it will turn it around or the cliffhanger will give hope for a brighter tomorrow for the Starks. It's getting trying either way.

Also, the preview for next week... Book Jaime > TV Jaime. He needs to get a spine when it comes to Cersei. I'm tired of his Cersei worship already.

Edit: Jon name dropped Manderly a few times. That means he will likely show up. My fingers are crossed he retains his character in this. I hope he gets his speech with Davos. One of the best parts of the 5th book IMHO.

I couldn't have said any of this better.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Yeah you totally got me. It's Coldhands. I'm going to admit it and spoil my own book's twist just because some reader guess right/asked for millions of other fans and those who may read in the future. You got me. The jig is up."

This isn't some reader, we're talking about a note to his editor, probably the only other person involved in GRRM's creative process when it comes to the (main) books. Make of that what you will, but it does seem a tad silly to go to such lengths as to fake editor's notes to "disprove" a theory that simply goes on to be validated by the rapidly catching up TV show anyway.

Martin might be a bit weird, but I sure hope he's not that much of a nutjob. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This week's episode is the weakest one, ever, on Game of Thrones.

There have been worse, imo.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Hound is back, that is all that matters.

Speaking of missing characters, we haven't seen YOU around much!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As great as the show is, and episode 7 notwithstanding, it is great it can't touch the books. There is so much more story in the books. None of this has made it into the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6E6jyUSBc

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I am only waiting how Sansa will Ef it up for Jon again, that girl is so stupid and pompous

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think you guys are a tad off with Sansa. I don't think her weakness is stupidity, I think her weakness is cruelty.

GRRM once said the ending would be "bittersweet." I think we're going to see a cycle of sorts, and I think the surviving characters are either going to "replace" characters we've lost or they're going to repeat their own history. One example is that Baratheon as a house was founded by a bastard, and sure enough the only remaining Baratheon is Gendry, who is a bastard. If Baratheon as a house survives, it'll be through him, time will repeat. Jaime is another interesting one and while I can envision him both living and dying, if he lives then I expect him to once again make a tough decision that garners him some infamy but ultimately helps the realm. I mean a common theory is Cersei will become a "Mad Queen" of sorts and it makes sense Jaime would put her down.

In Sansa's case...? I believe the characters that have been around her and others cultivate who they've become. Jon has been influence by Commander Mormont, Aemon, Sam, Thorne etc etc, Arya by the Hound, by Syrio, by Jaqen, etc etc, and Sansa...?

I find it interesting that Cersei took a special interest in Sansa. Sansa was one of the few characters Cersei actively let her guard down around and showed some compassion for. Hell, looking back on it? I'd go so far as to say Cersei encouraged Joffery to wed Margaery not out of politics or distrust, but out of sympathy for Sansa. The Blackwater scenes they had together were a definite oddity in Cersei's mannerisms, and likewise if I recall correctly, part of Cersei's prophecy regarding her downfall involves her being replaced by a "younger, more beautiful" queen. Cersei suspects Margaery, many fans suspect Danerys. Me...? I suspect Sansa. Sansa has been "raised" and "cultivated" by Joffery, the Hound, Cersei, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Ramsay....the majority of those characters taught her cruelties of the world and deceitful ways of gaining power, and I expect her to use those methods herself. I fully expect that by the time GoT is over, Sansa will likely be alive, but she may not be the same likeable character we have now. I expect that Sansa is going to be the one to "replace" Cersei in terms of characteristics.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

A good chunk of the characters we liked have died already and there's an upcoming zombie apocalypse, so it's going to be bittersweet either way.

As for Sansa, she's kind of all over the place. She randomly starts copying Brienne's Stannis hate even tho she never even met either him or Renly, she dropped all the shrewedness that was figuratively and literally beaten into her and just shouts commands at people, and she just doesn't really do anything. And that's partly why I said the writer aren't doing anything with her. Her was she and Jon, trying to unite the North and suddenly Jon can barely say anything, Sansa's just background and everyone blames Robb for being betrayed via breaking of hospitality laws. Which got even funnier when Glover mentioned how they'd flay him for talking to Jon. Wonderful replacement for the Starks indeed. But I digress.

So, it just feels like she stands there but doesn't seem to actually learn or actively help. Oh and she let Littlefinger walk away even though she was sure he screwed her over intentionally.

Jon's story arc has been merged with Stannis'.

I believe Sansa has been merged with Jeyne Poole's (FArya) and perhaps Val's. This is odd because Val and Jon have some very romantic feelings swimming around, but the original story from GRRM had Arya and Jon falling in love. I believe it has changed from Martin's original plan, but perhaps only from Arya to Sansa. This would happen late In the 6th book perhaps after the Val story ran its course. People may cringe because of the incest, but they are probably cousins, and cousins are wed in the Seven Kingdoms (Tywin Lannister married his cousin) and it was common in the our own Feudal era. Plus, prior to Jon's parentage reveal, it would echo the Lannister incest somewhat. Also, Val and Jon have some similarities to the Night's King story.

Davos' has been moved to be with Jon, and Rickon's arc has been is changed. I think it is too much change for characterization to survive it unscathed without extending the show time. I hope this weeks episode opens or ends with Davos in White Harbor. I need that speech.

Then consider who has been percieved dead in the Red Wedding from northern houses, and you have the mess we are experiencing from the show writing. GreatJon Umber was killed I think where in the books he is imprisoned. Karstarks are pissed because Rob beheaded their lord. No Glover in White Harbor. No Umber/Manderly alliance. Ramsay ran off the Iron Born instead of Stannis. Blah, blah, blah. It makes the North wishy washy. They better remember.

In the books, 3 of Robert Baratheon's bastards survive, IIRC. The girl in the Vale that leads Cat to the Eyrie, Edric Storm who Davos saves from being burned by Stannis and Mel, and Gendry. Although I believe things will end with some symmetry to the initial layout of the Seven Kingdoms, but I also expect that this will be the death throws of feudalism in the Seven Kingdoms (at least in the books). So, a Bastard of Robert's may get Storm's end. However, Gendry is the one almost no one knows about.

This season has me disappointed enough that I decided to start listening to the audio books at work, but I'm only nearing the end of the first book. So, I could have a faulty memory on some things in the books.