HBO Game of Thrones Season 6!

ktchong

Good ep! Definitely some big revelation moments --even for book readers. That origin reveal for the Others, tho.

Hmmm, maybe it wasn't actually Bran the Builder who constructed The Wall. The Children making amends for unleashing the blight?

Hodor.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That was a good episode... except the silly Hodor thing.

I thought the detah of the wolf was rather meaningless. Hodor and Treegirl sacrificing themsleves would be enough of 'named' characters dying. Wolf didn't need to die here.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Great episode. Apparently D&D got Hodor's story from GRRM all the way back in the beginning. So that is one thing from the books that was spoiled by the show for sure. It hit me like a gut punch. The one recurring theme of the story is how the characters are undone by their flaws. But in this case Bran's flaws were suffered by others. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on his development.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What else has Bran affected through violation of the Temporal Prime Directive?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

In the show, I don't remember if Robb ever drafted a letter that may have legitimized Jon Snow, like it may have been alluded to in the books. Anyone know?

Also, could we possibly see Coldhands or Benjen Stark coming to the aid of Bran and Meera?

In the show, I don't remember if Robb ever drafted a letter that may have legitimized Jon Snow, like it may have been alluded to in the books. Anyone know?

No, he didn't, at least not on screen.

I'm not really surprised by the Children of the Forest being responsible for the Others seeing how ADWD dropped a few vague hints in that direction already. Enough to give rise to theories that they're still working with them (I guess the episode jossed that idea though). Anyway, the Iron Islands were sort of terrible. That kingsmoot was ridiculous, as is Euron. Meh.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Don't think the show has mentioned that at all. In the books the letter was definitely more than alluded to, as Catelyn objected to it in POV and a Glover and a Mormont were sent off to find Reed senior and then get it to The Wall.

If they did want to legitimise Jon it would be easy enough to do so- have Robb lodge the letter with someone like the Blackfish. Book version smacks of red herring in any case though, since he may be legitimate already given polygamy and Targaryens go hand in hand.

Why are people hating on the time thingy? I thought it was ok and didn't felt like it doesn't fit the setting. In any case it was a tense moment, imo. And this isn't even the season half-final.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah I like that last episode as well (excludig magic holy hand granades)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Sounds like they cut a lot of good stuff from the books

le sad

The books are telling a much bigger story. There is a lot more detail, more characters, more subplots, etc. In the books the Dorne & Iron Island plotlines are important and MUCH more interesting. In the show Blackfyre Targayens were never mentioned, in the books they are becoming an important thing (or at least some strong hints are beting dropped.)  In the books Sansa is in the Vale, Brienne is in the Riverlands, Varys is in King's Landing, Pycelle is dead, Kevan Lannister is dead, Barristan Selmy is alive. Melisandre is not at the wall so whatever happens with Jon will be different. His story is different too. It's a lot less of a surprise when his Brothers try to murder him.  Brans storyline looks like it's going to be similar, only Jojen is still kicking. Stannis may or may not be alive. It's a good bet Ramsay did not write the "pink" letter to Jon because he referenced things Ramsay could not know. Ramsay is married to Jeyne Poole (who wasn't in the show) who is pretending to be Arya Stark. The Manderlys, Horwoods & half the Umbers are plotting against the Boltons and are looking for Rickon on Skagos.

Hizdar zo Loraq is still alive and plotting as the King of Mereen. Dany's meeting with Drogon in Daznaks pit went down totally different (and less epic IMO). Her meeting with the Dothraki looks like it will go different because she knows the Khal who found her (one of Drogos men) and she had Drogon with her.  Tyrion has had a much harder road and he hasn't met Dany yet. Looks like it's going to happen though. Arya never killed Maryn Trant but she did kill her assigned target and became "no one".

There are other differences. Rob's wife was different. Cersi made a much bigger mess of things, Petyr is likely going to have Robun Arryn killed, etc. If the show followed the books exactly is would be a lot bigger. Probably too much so.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Probably too much so.

Definitely too much so. Far too many films and shows have been ruined by staying too far or too close to the source material. Especially visually speaking, there are characters that work great in books, like The Stone Lady or Coldhands - but would seem out of place or way too extreme in a visual medium.

Imagine Darios looking like this on the show

two-sides-of-Daario-630x321.jpg

Nah, I'm glad they are rewriting it to fit a TV medium..

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't think I'd want it to be an exact retelling of the books but not having read the books I can't say for certain. It's just a lot of the things that get mentioned here like Coldhands and the Stone Lady sound pretty interesting. Who knows though because the Sand Snakes sounded good when I heard about them here but I thought they were pretty terrible in the show

Free games updated 3/4/21

I see the show as an alternate reality mirror universe of the books.

I don't think I'd want it to be an exact retelling of the books but not having read the books I can't say for certain. It's just a lot of the things that get mentioned here like Coldhands and the Stone Lady sound pretty interesting. Who knows though because the Sand Snakes sounded good when I heard about them here but I thought they were pretty terrible in the show

Lady Stoneheart.... ugh... that plotline is going nowhere fast. She ends up leading the Brotherhood Without Banners. I think she was a mistake by Martin.

I'm suprised you've never read these books. You are a fan of the genre.

Thomas Sowell

Well the run 400-600 pages each in paperback. Five books. If you started now and read one page per day you might... might finish before book 6 comes out.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Lady Stoneheart.... ugh... that plotline is going nowhere fast. She ends up leading the Brotherhood Without Banners. I think she was a mistake by Martin.

I'm suprised you've never read these books. You are a fan of the genre.

I agree, unless in the books she gives her life to resurrect Jon just like happened to her. It would let her save a child (the one she regrets mistreating), keep a child of Ned's alive, and it ends her existence. It would be a better way to bring Jon back than that of the easy way they did it in the show.

Either way her and Dondarion are proof resurrection happens to keep Jon's from being out of the blue.

hah - Ho dør.. That's means (depending on pronounciation) 'prostitute door' or "prostitute dies"...

Hodor was a prostitute. #confirmed

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?