What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

Met an online friend of 15 years, didn't end in knives and fire.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I considered going back to school to get a BS in Civil Engineering. Then I remembered how stressful and expensive and how much I hated working full time and going to school at night when I did it 19 years ago.

Have you ever considered taking online courses?

I've looked into it. Classes in the engineering disciplines are rare in online only education I'm finding. So far I haven't found a sing accredited school that offers a full BS in any of the engineering fields without some classroom or labs. There are a few that offer a MS but the fields of study are pretty narrow.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today I considered going back to school to get a BS in Civil Engineering. Then I remembered how stressful and expensive and how much I hated working full time and going to school at night when I did it 19 years ago.

Have you ever considered taking online courses?

I've looked into it. Classes in the engineering disciplines are rare in online only education I'm finding. So far I haven't found a sing accredited school that offers a full BS in any of the engineering fields without some classroom or labs. There are a few that offer a MS but the fields of study are pretty narrow.

am understanding that the lack of online is bad for you, but we find it reassuring that at least engineering has not succumb to the digital trend o' other disciplines.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I completed my BS is Electronics Engineering in 1997 and every class had a lab. I don't see any way that can be simulated with an online only course. At least not for the physical disciplines. I guess Computer Sciences and SW development there is no reason why you couldn't.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@Calax that really sucks. Hopefully nothing comes of it. S--t happens right?

Got written up because I rear-ended the person (which is, in hertz dictonary, automatically my fault no matter the weather). But otherwise I'm just back to work as normal even though our "manager" is off getting cars because the caucuses have eaten everything rentable for the entire state (seriously, I barely cover my reservations and you're outright screwed if you send your vehicle to the shop right now... Ohhh you got a Tahoe in the shop? Well, here's a Hyundai Accent to tide you over!)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Buddy checked one off the bucket list with a new GTI. Not quite as fly as Leferd's R turbo, but the door sills light up like a TIE fighter. 

5c8ff92c-dd8f-425c-80c3-6d3c191e6484aaa_

The poster on the wall says, Periodic Table of Beer Styles.  8)

I've seen plenty MkVII's in the wild. But never near enough to touch. Perhaps next time I take mine in for servicing.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Did some slow careful dead lifts with belt to check if my exercise injury has healed properly, started with 140kg 8 repetitions and worked my way up to 160kg 8 repetitions and 180kg 5 repetitions. Didn't want to push it. Its looking good, I've got no stability issues and I can use a good stance though it still hurts a tiny little bit above 180kgs. I don't want to push it.

I guess in a month I'm 100% again.  :w00t:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Drinking Lagavulin and getting smashed in the hotel bar. I think I sawr a kraken in the Chicago river.

if we were a bit closer to march 17, we woulda' suggested that what you likely saw were two drunken irishmen who fell in the river while arguing 'bout... well, anything. a chaotic mass o' flailing limbs and bloated, moon-pale flesh?  could indeed looks like a smallish kraken. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Got a belated birthday present, the Witcher - Wild Hunt. To be honest, I've never payed much attention to the Witcher series, I've heard many good and many bad things about it. 

I have the computer to run it on max though so at least my eyes gonna be happy.  :)

Edited by Woldan

I completed my BS is Electronics Engineering in 1997 and every class had a lab. I don't see any way that can be simulated with an online only course. At least not for the physical disciplines. I guess Computer Sciences and SW development there is no reason why you couldn't.

I actually got a B in one of my CS classes because I didn't attend the lab often enough (they marked me down a full letter grade.)  It was stupid of me, but the lab was all the way across campus, way too early in the morning, and they didn't have anything there that I didn't have in my dorm room.  So even labs are (apparently) an important part of a CS degree, at least according to the universities.

That said, I'd love to be able to go back to school and just take random classes.  I took way too many random classes when I was in college (though some of them, such as C#, proved to be pretty useful, Japanese not so much) but I don't think I'd want to pursue another degree because I'm sure I'd have to take a bunch of pointless garbage again (like those stupid HCI classes.  All these studies on human computer interaction, and if anything, interfaces have gotten worse over the past half dozen years because they're trying to make them one size fits all across tablets and phones.)

I think I saw that on reddit a few days ago...and the same goes for pretty much everything that gets posted in the "weird, random, and interesting" thread. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think I saw that on reddit a few days ago...and the same goes for pretty much everything that gets posted in the "weird, random, and interesting" thread. :p

So stop reading reddit already. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Had some lady walk into our office and try to market some meat pie shop to us. Certainly strange

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So stop reading reddit already. :p

Stop stealing and re-posting content from them! :p

(Although I'm sure you guys don't actually get your content from reddit...just that reddit, by its very nature, features popular content currently making its rounds throughout the internet, and generally does it faster than everywhere else. It's not called the "front page of the internet" - as stupid that sounds - for nothing, I suppose.)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm not sure, since that entirely depends on what's "confusing" to you. :p

Made a bunch of phone calls, sent a bunch of emails, did some research, and visited my (soon to be ex) landlord all in preparation for my trip to Charlotte in a couple weeks to look at places to live and fill out a bunch of applications which will ultimately lead to my move in a couple of months.  It's a scary and exciting time for me.  I can't wait until it's all over and I'm settled and established in my new, much warmer home.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I dont think Ive ever been to reddit unless linked to it. Is that the one with the confusing forum/thread layout?

Yes, yes it is.

Also I too never go there except when linked.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thank god its back - bent over barbell row and reverse flyes day today, all that sitting in front of a computer curls me in like a dried leaf.

Weight lifting is like going to a blacksmith and you're the hot, warped metal. You get beaten into shape, from a lump of ugly metal into a shiny, strong and powerful blade.

Edited by Woldan

Spending another $1000 on a car to replace spark plugs, rear shocks that are leaking, and transmission fluid.  And before anyone gives me guff about doing my own work, I was a mediocre mechanic when it came to older cars back in the day, and now with all the new computer cars I know enough to know I'm not equipped to deal with that stuff.

It's been a tough few months for my vehicles, I've dropped $3000 on various jobs for my two cars and the RV, and I still need to spend $1400 to fix the front wheel bearings. 

Spending another $1000 on a car to replace spark plugs, rear shocks that are leaking, and transmission fluid.  And before anyone gives me guff about doing my own work, I was a mediocre mechanic when it came to older cars back in the day, and now with all the new computer cars I know enough to know I'm not equipped to deal with that stuff.

It's been a tough few months for my vehicles, I've dropped $3000 on various jobs for my two cars and the RV, and I still need to spend $1400 to fix the front wheel bearings. 

up until a couple years ago, our main vehicle were a 1988 ford ranger.  our mechanic skills is rudimentary, but the pre-1989 models o' the ranger were simple by modern standards.  hell, we even had a distributor.  we could work on our own car... time permitting.

now we got a bmw x5 as our primary "car."  we hate it.  we fill it with gasoline and change windshield wipers.  virtual every other maintenance or repair task is beyond our abilities.  even to replace the battery requires us to remove the spare tire and disconnect a half dozen connections and braces.  buying that vehicle has unmanned us a bit, but we ain't so stoopid as to try and fix stuff on the x5 when it goes wonky.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1