What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

Thanks Guys, I'm having a Skype session tomorrow with them where we will discuss more about what the job actually entails 

I'll come back with more questions so please respond if you can and be honest even if you think its weird...for example maybe you think Georgia is a bad place because its full of SJ types ( thats a joke but you know what I mean ) :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Thanks Guys, I'm having a Skype session tomorrow with them where we will discuss more about what the job actually entails 

I'll come back with more questions so please respond if you can and be honest even if you think its weird...for example maybe you think Georgia is a bad place because its full of SJ types ( thats a joke but you know what I mean ) :)

Oh that's a load of bull. It is impossible to classify the politics of an entire state you have never visited by the reputation you think it has because of what you've read on the internet.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh that's a load of bull. It is impossible to classify the politics of an entire state you have never visited by the reputation you think it has because of what you've read on the internet.

Yup. Also consider the demographics. Take Atlanta --biggest and most cosmopolitan city in Georgia. It's 51% Black who overwhelmingly vote Democrat. Yet the rest of the state is 59% White and Georgia is a red state.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes obviously GD :)

But I want valid opinions about the states, anecdotal if possible. I can research a lot, I have relatives in the USA and I watch international media but your stories are important ...I share them with people on the radio and other mediums so people don't generalize about the USA 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No kids, so yesterday I didn't get out oof bed until 6pm,went to the Olive Garden with the wife, filled up on soup and breadsticks, and had the leftovers for breakfast while watching Machete Kills.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

No kids, so yesterday I didn't get out oof bed until 6pm,went to the Olive Garden with the wife, filled up on soup and breadsticks, and had the leftovers for breakfast while watching Machete Kills.

That must have been an amazing experience, how did you feel being able to do your own thing and just have a life?

Of course the Meds are also working but I'm sure the experience was great

I have never stayed in bed that long but for me I can do it everyday so it seems like a waste :)

John Milton 

I've been watching Puppy Bowl on APL. I can't explain why but I feel compelled to watch this thing every year. There must be some subliminal messages on it. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go order a Bissell floor cleaner and a new Subaru while eating my twrizzlers candy.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's awesome Bruce

It would depend on where exactly in those states you would be moving to. I grew up in southern Arizona but I lived in NYC for a few years so I might be able to help you there.I also spent some time in south Florida and middle of nowhere California but other people could probably give you better info on those areas than I could.

Yes I am very fortunate....its weird because most South Africans would jump at this but for me I feel I have a commitment here but I still want to understand what moving would mean :)

Good point, they have branches in major cities of each state but you work from home, have virtual meetings  and manage your appointments so I am basically talking about living in the capital city of each state and not living in the country side 

How is Arizona? It looks very hot from what I have seen, can you describe life there. If you don't mind any details you can share ?

Minor quibble but the capital city isn't usually the largest city in most states. 

Arizona is very large and it has a bit of everything (except ocean) but Phoenix, the capital and largest city, is a very, very hot and sprawling city that I'm not really sure I would appeal to you. On the plus side it's fairly cheap and there's lots of outdoorsy stuff to do a few hours in any direction 

It really depends on what you are looking for  

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Today, my mom came from province to visit. I washed the dishes, moved garbage and did lots of stuff I don't do normally, then chat with her for hours and drank tea and coffee and went to shopping with her - pretending that I'm perfectly normal member of community.

Was tough, but it's over now  =)

That must have been an amazing experience, how did you feel being able to do your own thing and just have a life?

I have never stayed in bed that long but for me I can do it everyday so it seems like a waste :)

We got a lot of TV watching done.  Binged the last 4 episodes of the Expanse, latest Supernatural, etc. Beat Witcher 3 last night, started AssCreed Unity this morning after Machete. Spent most of the day doing that. Went shopping and am now making red curry for dinner. No screaming, no breaking of things, just quiet. I need like a month of this. Unfortunately the kids come home tomorrow.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

We got a lot of TV watching done.  Binged the last 4 episodes of the Expanse, latest Supernatural, etc. Beat Witcher 3 last night, started AssCreed Unity this morning after Machete. Spent most of the day doing that. Went shopping and am now making red curry for dinner. No screaming, no breaking of things, just quiet. I need like a month of this. Unfortunately the kids come home tomorrow.

I really have sympathy for you, even if I wasn't  dealing with depression\rage  I dont think I could cope  with your sons naughtiness

Especially if this is normal behavior, how many years is this expected?

John Milton 

I really have sympathy for you, even if I wasn't  dealing with depression\rage  I dont think I could cope  with your sons naughtiness

Especially if this is normal behavior, how many years is this expected?

We hope it tapers down when he starts school. Having more to get his energy out on and such.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll come back with more questions so please respond if you can and be honest even if you think its weird...for example maybe you think Georgia is a bad place because its full of SJ types ( thats a joke but you know what I mean ) original.gif

Yes obviously GD original.gif

But I want valid opinions about the states, anecdotal if possible. I can research a lot, I have relatives in the USA and I watch international media but your stories are important ...I share them with people on the radio and other mediums so people don't generalize about the USA

Be specific - its not really state but city region you're looking at.  Metro Atlanta isn't like Savannah, which isn't like Macon or Augusta or Albany.

Also it might be helpful to know what metrics you might like.  Cost of Living? Crime? Traffic? Happiness Index?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll come back with more questions so please respond if you can and be honest even if you think its weird...for example maybe you think Georgia is a bad place because its full of SJ types ( thats a joke but you know what I mean ) original.gif

Yes obviously GD original.gif

Be specific - its not really state but city region you're looking at.  Metro Atlanta isn't like Savannah, which isn't like Macon or Augusta or Albany.

Also it might be helpful to know what metrics you might like.  Cost of Living? Crime? Traffic? Happiness Index?

Yes okay I need to consider these things, I am not worried about any level of crime ....I will be happy wherever I go, except for maybe Alaska 

I had to cancel the Skype call today so I will reschedule this week

John Milton 

I'm working from home today. My advice to anyone in any profession is to learn how to use MS Excel. It is an excellent tool and might even saver you sanity one day.  

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

I'm working from home today. My advice to anyone in any profession is to learn how to use MS Excel. It is an excellent tool and might even saver you sanity one day.

Excellent advice.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have been using Excel for about 12 years, its much more powerful than people may initially think

I have seen people manipulate the macro functionality so it serves as a database 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

I have been using Excel for about 12 years, its much more powerful than people may initially think

I have seen people manipulate the macro functionality so it serves as a database 

Sure, .csv files could be imported into MS Access (back when it was around) to build actual databases. The functionality is already there. I'm it to trend suspended FeSO4 quantities in mg/L in Ft. Pillow over the last 3 years and paralleling that with rainfall on the Ohio river. Can you imagine doing that without Excel? 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Ugh, Excel is less than ideal as a database (IMO).  Use Access if you're using office products.  When it was important to do such thing, its relatively easy to keep your data in ACCESS and export it to excel for periodic analysis.  Conditional counts FTW.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Today I called my favorite gun shop about the order I placed 8 weeks ago, I got the information that the shipment is already on the way and I can come and pick up my rifle in ten days. 

Thats awesome news, I was already thinking they lost my order or the rifle is not available for whatever reason. 

Whoop-de-doo!  =]

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Quite true. Lots of spreadsheet fetishists in my area of work :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yup. Also consider the demographics. Take Atlanta --biggest and most cosmopolitan city in Georgia. It's 51% Black who overwhelmingly vote Democrat. Yet the rest of the state is 59% White and Georgia is a red state.

I know it's election year... but 51% + 59%? Someone is inflating the voter numbers somewhere. Or multi ethnic people counts for both :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know it's election year... but 51% + 59%? Someone is inflating the voter numbers somewhere. Or multi ethnic people counts for both tongue.png

His state numbers include the city (so not really "the rest of Georgia" but "all of Georgia").  :D

Per 2010 census:

Atlanta city demo (pop ~420,000) is 51.4% black/African-American, 41.3% white, 3.7 Asian, 4.7 Hispanic/Latino

State (including Atlanta; pop ~9,900,000) is 59.7% white, 30.5% black/African-American, 3.3% Asian, .3% Native, .1% Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 4% Other

• Like 2