What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

10 years ago I had long hair. Over the shoulders and a lil bit more. At around age 20 I started balding, which became so bad that a few years later I've finally decided to get short hair again. Obviously the balding didn't stop and so on and so on. Barely 1 hour ago I finally took the last step- shaved my head and made me totally bald. It has cost me quite an effort, because... well, I am in germany, so bald head makes a certain connection. Also, what if I look really bad with bald head? ... Got through it now anyway, and now that it's done...

...I actually have to say it looks p.cool - even did some test photos from different point of views, and for the very first time in years I don't feel like my balding hair is the main focus. I mean, I've always tried to move my head in a way to hide this shait, but ofc it never worked and looked just as bad.

Will be quite a surprise when people see me tomorrow. Maybe I will pretend to have cancer and say that I've start cooking meth or something.

Same thing happened to me in my early 20s.  I had hair halfway down my back then eventually buzzed it all off when it was plainly obvious where genetics was taking me.  On the one hand, I do sometimes still miss my long hair, but on the other hand, hair is essentially zero maintenance now.  Get out of the shower, drag a towel across top of head, done.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I really wish to have full hair again- wouldn't even wear it long, just with a bit of a wave and the sides short and stuff. Well, that door is closed since years and I finally have to accept that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I used to shave my head every couple months to keep it in check, but the other day I noticed my head from above in a video feed, and it appears that my bald spot has taken over and it's really more of a hair patch surrounded by skin.  So now I'm shaving once a week.  :(

I've always had a hairline that kinda looks like its receding on the sides - above my temples, but most men in my family have/had it like that. It still makes me paranoid though, despite not having any male family members who went bald. 

I think I'd look like a serial killer with a bald head, but there is another option: baseball cap. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Baseball caps only fool some of the people, some of the time. The bald spot and receding line are always there, taunting you from the inside. 

I have mild affectations of both, but in the event I can't bear to wear the remaining hair, I'm going to go with 'stranded starship captain desert head gear'. 

strandedstarshipcaptain_zpsydrlictj.png

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Heh, good to know the obsidian forum is a place of the bald(ing).

The worst is, my father is 54 and still has full hair. Genetics simply robbed me off. His father was bald in younger age as well.

/Edit: But I woke up this morning and my head is freezing. The hell.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

One of my applications for a place to live down in Charlotte was approved today.  I am now 1 step closer to escaping Connecticut and moving to a place that I actually want to live in.

7drHiqrh.jpg

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Taking off work today to go get my new camper. Well, it isn't new it's refurbed but it's new to me.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Slaving away at work while listening to uplifting Cossack folk music.

Also, on conference call with client...

z6ixtQP.gif

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I signed the agreement to move into the place I'll be living at in Charlotte in a little over a month.  I also gave my current job my notice today (approximately 5 minutes after signing the agreement and emailing the signed and scanned copy over to Charlotte).  Given that I'm giving them slightly over 5 weeks, as compared to the standard 2 weeks, I think I'm being more than fair with my soon to be former employers.  No turning back now.  In approximately 1 1/2 months I'll be living in (literally) greener pastures.

This is both an exciting and scary time for me.  It's never easy to move 750 miles away without a safety net.  On the other hand, this will be the first time I dictate, of my own choosing without outside influences, where I will live.  I was born in Warsaw, Poland.  Obviously, I had no control over that.  At the age of 8 I moved to (at that time West) Germany because that's where my parents moved.  No control over that.  2 1/2 years later we moved to the US and Connecticut.  Again, no control over that (not that I'm complaining, I appreciate the risks my parents took to get us where we are).  Since then I've lived in Connecticut and moved in-state wherever the employment winds took me.  The entire time I have lived in Connecticut I have never felt like I was "home", like this was the place I wanted to stay.  Every place I have lived here, whether it was with my folks or on my own, has always felt temporary because this is not where I wanted to grow old.  Not that Connecticut is a terrible place.  Sure, the winters suck and the cost of living is among the highest in the continental US, but if I had no choice I could easily make do here.  The thing is, I don't have to make do.  I can choose to live somewhere else, and I did.  For the first time in my life, I'm moving somewhere based solely on "I want to live here" and nothing else.  For the first time in my life, I'm moving to a place I feel I can grow old in (Obviously, time will tell.  The several visits I've made for Charlotte only give me a quick taste, living there for a few years will be the true test).  A new, and hopefully greatest, adventure awaits me.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

You mean this one?

414831-Charlotte.jpg

Looks awesome on the photos.

Looks just as good in person.  The Charlotte skyline is beautiful.  Downtown Charlotte is gorgeous.  The suburbs are like the suburbs of any big city; there are nice areas and not so nice areas.  Also, given that it's a really big city (second largest in the southeastern US), Charlotte has essentially everything...  well, except a port or beach, because it's not on the coast.  Other than that, though, it has nearly every possible attraction, venue, and place of entertainment you could reasonably want without ever leaving the city border... with the exception of Charlotte Motor Speedway, which is (ironically) not in Charlotte itself (you don't generally build a super speedway inside a major city) but in Concord, approximately 20-25 minutes away.  Beyond that, Charlotte is about 3 - 3 1/2 hours away from nice beaches (I purposely wanted to NOT be on the coast to avoid potential hurricane problems) and about 2 1/2 hours from the utterly gorgeous Great Smoky Mountains (visited there as a kid, they're breathtaking).

The climate in Charlotte is subtropical.  You do get a winter, but it's a short and mild winter (2-3 inches of snow per year and a January high of 50 degrees Fahrenheit average).  Summers are hot but not flat out brutal.  Shorts and t-shirt weather 8 months of the year.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I signed the agreement to move into the place I'll be living at in Charlotte in a little over a month.  I also gave my current job my notice today (approximately 5 minutes after signing the agreement and emailing the signed and scanned copy over to Charlotte).  Given that I'm giving them slightly over 5 weeks, as compared to the standard 2 weeks, I think I'm being more than fair with my soon to be former employers.  No turning back now.  In approximately 1 1/2 months I'll be living in (literally) greener pastures.

This is both an exciting and scary time for me.  It's never easy to move 750 miles away without a safety net.  On the other hand, this will be the first time I dictate, of my own choosing without outside influences, where I will live.  I was born in Warsaw, Poland.  Obviously, I had no control over that.  At the age of 8 I moved to (at that time West) Germany because that's where my parents moved.  No control over that.  2 1/2 years later we moved to the US and Connecticut.  Again, no control over that (not that I'm complaining, I appreciate the risks my parents took to get us where we are).  Since then I've lived in Connecticut and moved in-state wherever the employment winds took me.  The entire time I have lived in Connecticut I have never felt like I was "home", like this was the place I wanted to stay.  Every place I have lived here, whether it was with my folks or on my own, has always felt temporary because this is not where I wanted to grow old.  Not that Connecticut is a terrible place.  Sure, the winters suck and the cost of living is among the highest in the continental US, but if I had no choice I could easily make do here.  The thing is, I don't have to make do.  I can choose to live somewhere else, and I did.  For the first time in my life, I'm moving somewhere based solely on "I want to live here" and nothing else.  For the first time in my life, I'm moving to a place I feel I can grow old in (Obviously, time will tell.  The several visits I've made for Charlotte only give me a quick taste, living there for a few years will be the true test).  A new, and hopefully greatest, adventure awaits me.

Too bad about the football team, though.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd move to Portland.

Portland, Oregon?

I've never been there, but I hear it's quite nice.  Quite the hotbed for the tech industry too.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, friend of mine says it's a nice place, people can be a bit dippy.  Not that Toronto is all that bad, other than being expensive and laden with the usual corporate annoyances we have in NA.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra