What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

I want to move somewhere rural.  I hate high population densities...

I've lived in pretty much every part of the spectrum at some point in my life: On both extremes, in podunk little towns in the middle of nowhere and in big cities, and smack dab in the middle in medium sized towns.  When I was younger I thought I'd want to go rural too, but as I've gotten older I've found myself more drawn toward big city life.  It's obviously not without its issues, but I find the positives of big city life outweigh the negatives for me.  Purely personal preference, of course.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've lived in pretty much every part of the spectrum at some point in my life: On both extremes, in podunk little towns in the middle of nowhere and in big cities, and smack dab in the middle in medium sized towns.  When I was younger I thought I'd want to go rural too, but as I've gotten older I've found myself more drawn toward big city life.  It's obviously not without its issues, but I find the positives of big city life outweigh the negatives for me.  Purely personal preference, of course.

I'm mostly just mad that my low population density area became an attractive destination for new houses in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  They put up 2 McMansions on one lot, cleared out old farmland and made giant subdivisions.  In one case put 6 houses on land that originally had one.  Bleh.  Now many houses are abandoned due to the housing crash or have turned over multiple times.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm moving pretty close to the Canadian border...right on that northeastern tip of Minnesota by Lake Superior in a few months. Not too terribly away from Duluth at the very least, but it's still pretty darned rural as far as things go... Should be fun.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm moving pretty close to the Canadian border...right on that northeastern tip of Minnesota by Lake Superior in a few months. Not too terribly away from Duluth at the very least, but it's still pretty darned rural as far as things go... Should be fun.

I'm shivering cold just from reading that.  As a Minnesotan, or a soon to be Minnesotan, you must think me quite the wuss for complaining about Connecticut being cold.  :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm actually already a Minnesotan...but a more central one. :p The only other place I've resided for any decent amount of time is southern California. Generally speaking, I prefer the cold. :)

I guess that depends...how cold does it get in Connecticut? :grin:

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm actually already a Minnesotan...but a more central one. :p The only other place I've resided for any decent amount of time is southern California. Generally speaking, I prefer the cold. :)

I guess that depends...how cold does it get in Connecticut? :grin:

Average high in January is about 35°F.  In a typical winter we'll get a handful of days where the high barely reaches 20°F or stays in the teens.  We had a day this year with a high of 10°F and a low of -12°F, that's unusual but not unheard of.  The coldest day I can remember had a high of around 6 or 7°F.  We usually get 2 1/2-3 feet of snow total in a typical winter.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I note that you say "typical winter": I presume because this winter has been unusually mild?

Honestly, while I prefer the cold, I don't really like the bone-chilling cold like it can get in MN. If I could just live somewhere that was like...always somewhere in the 35-50(F), even 60 degrees year round, that would be so great. Stupid changing seasons and weather and stuff... Average high in MN is generally around 25 degrees in January, so that doesn't seem *that* great of a distance. I'm guessing the lows are probably a lot lower here, though.

I note that you say "typical winter": I presume because this winter has been unusually mild?

Honestly, while I prefer the cold, I don't really like the bone-chilling cold like it can get in MN. If I could just live somewhere that was like...always somewhere in the 35-50(F), even 60 degrees year round, that would be so great. Stupid changing seasons and weather and stuff... Average high in MN is generally around 25 degrees in January, so that doesn't seem *that* great of a distance. I'm guessing the lows are probably a lot lower here, though.

Yes, overall this winter has been really mild, but we've also gone through some crazy temp swings.  November, December, and January were all above average.  We had a couple days in January in the mid 60s that SHATTERED previous records.  A day in the 60s in January in Connecticut is basically unheard of (until now).  We also had a bunch of average temp days in January and a little over a foot of snow total.  February has been more of a typical February.  We had the aforementioned high of 10 degrees day and the very next day we had a high of 52, though.  Connecticut is known for rapid weather changes, but that's crazy even for CT.  Still, overall it's been a mild winter so far, which is nice after last year's historically cold winter where we were way below average (I'm talking like 10-15 degrees on average) for like 6 or 7 weeks straight from mid-January to the beginning of March.  That was the winter that was the feather that broke the camel's back and I made up my mind after that winter that I was finally moving somewhere warmer... and cheaper, CT is very expensive (I had been mulling over moving out of CT for years).  I didn't have enough saved up last year though, so I stuck it out 1 more year while tightening the belt and putting away contingency plan money for my move.  Now, all of that saving is coming to fruition.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hah. Yeah, don't ever even consider moving to Minnesota if a few weeks of ~10 degrees is enough to make you want to leave forever. :p

• Like 1

I think anything below 70°F is cold and hot is above 100°F. You people are causing me to get chills thinking about all this ice.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

90°F - everything else is crap.

Fixed that for you.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If it is above 65°F it is too hot.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Make it 60, and you've got a deal. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I zipped my coat (I think I might have a couple times when it was really windy in Jan/Feb in college), and 75% of the time I don't even bother with it because I won't drive with it on, and I'm usually only outside for a couple minutes at a time in winter. It's not like I live somewhere warm either (I live on the Ohio/Michigan border.)

Personally, I'd like to move to the rocky part of the coastline in Maine or SE Canada. Lighthouse keeper would be something of a dream job for me, but it's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Make it 60, and you've got a deal. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I zipped my coat (I think I might have a couple times when it was really windy in Jan/Feb in college), and 75% of the time I don't even bother with it because I won't drive with it on, and I'm usually only outside for a couple minutes at a time in winter. It's not like I live somewhere warm either (I live on the Ohio/Michigan border.)

Personally, I'd like to move to the rocky part of the coastline in Maine or SE Canada. Lighthouse keeper would be something of a dream job for me, but it's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Man, you guys have lived beyond the wall too long

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

For me 74°F is the sweet spot.  I'm quite happy with anything between 65°F and 80°F.  I can wear shorts and t-shirt (my preferred garb) and neither be cold not sweating (so long as I'm not exerting myself seriously) in those temps.  In Charlotte, that temp range (65-80) is essentially second half of March through first half of June and the last week of August through the first half of November; about half the year total (minus unusually cold and unusually warm days here and there, obviously).

Edit:

Been used to 25-40c (77-104F) weather all my life and have lived rural but prefer the city life. Live next to the beach and very much an ocean person.

Where do you live, Hiro? (general location rather than exact town if you prefer not to give away your exact location).  Sounds like you live between the tropics.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Australia. Live in Sydney next to the beach. It's been a nice 28°c (82°F) today but feels milder inside. Love the sea breeze coming in and the smell of fresh air. We haven't had the aircon on all summer as the breeze keeps the place cool.

Have lived in Brisbane for 3 years (a few years ago) which is more humid and sub-tropical. Was nice to go swimming, kayaking and surfing in Winter when it's around 70°F but eventually moved back to Sydney due to various reasons. Mostly work and family related.

Sydney has more of an extreme temperature range than Brisbane but I do prefer Brisbane weather. However I prefer Sydney as a place to live for other reasons than just work and family. Sydney has other things like more gaming groups (D&D, Traveller, etc), more comic book stores, more sports groups, generally more of everything else that I like.

For me 74°F is the sweet spot.  I'm quite happy with anything between 65°F and 80°F.  I can wear shorts and t-shirt (my preferred garb) and neither be cold not sweating (so long as I'm not exerting myself seriously) in those temps.  In Charlotte, that temp range (65-80) is essentially second half of March through first half of June and the last week of August through the first half of November; about half the year total (minus unusually cold and unusually warm days here and there, obviously).

74°F is warmer than I like, but is tolerable. It's the high 80's and 90's that we get during the summer that I realy hate. I generally don't feel the need to alter from my preferred garb (jeans and short sleeves, as I don't wear shorts in public) until it gets below 40°F, and that's only if I'm going to be outside a while, and I generally don't wear my coat unless it's mid-20s or below and windy.

So it took me awhile, but I warmed up to Disneyland on day 3.  Yes, it was crowded and expensive, but the Indy ride was amazing ans I'm obsessed with these pins.  My best b=meal was at the Jazz Kitchen in downtown, some of the best food I've had since visiting Louisiana a couple summers back.

Man, you guys have lived beyond the wall too long

It keeps the PC cool

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just spent three days fishing at Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. I wanted to try out the new camper. It worked great. Plus I wanted to see how Sunny acts off leash. She needs a LOT of work. We started working on that together this weekend. I cannot overstate the help a well trained dog lends to training a untrained one. The lake was beautiful & the weather clear and cool but not too cold. I caught a lot of fish including a brown cut-throat trout which got it's picture taken then put back because it was out of season. The crappies ended up in the pan if they were big enough to fillet. Beer and fish were consumed, Frisbees chased and a good time was had by all.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think anything below 70°F is cold and hot is above 100°F.

Me too. The problem is, I live in Finland.

Apart from that, looks like unemployment's knocking on the door. A bit over a month left and nothing lined up for now.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Me too. The problem is, I live in Finland.

Apart from that, looks like unemployment's knocking on the door. A bit over a month left and nothing lined up for now.

My condolences on both counts.

Today I'm doing nothing but drinking, playing videogames, and laundry. Looks like I won't have to work tomorrow and there ain't **** to do today so might as well relax.