What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

Had to let a chap go today, really good worker whose face unfortunately just did not fit, hated doing it as he is a good man, quiet and studious, with a certain understated nobility. He let himself be a doormat for too long, and people just grew used to it, as did he. Unfortunately he snapped and fisticuffs were exchanged before security and I could intervene, though after many years of provocation I cannot blame the chap.

In a stroke of luck I did manage to set him up an interview with a rival firm. Somewhat outside my responsibility, and I shouldn't really be having this much contact with them, but reality is somewhat different from the theoretical, and we all have contacts in other firms. Also he'd mentioned his tight financial situation after Christmas and i just couldn't let him walk out without some intervention. I've spoken with my opposite number and explained the situation, because gross misconduct is such a horrible term, but I think that's the best I can do and remain unsure of his prospects.

The question as to whom is going to cover his rather impressive workload is now staring a few of our employees in the face, and i'm giving not an inch of help to the crowd who decided that his bullying was amusing. As far as i'm concerned they're all on thin ice, and i've made no pretense that they aren't.

In truth I feel guilty, I should have nipped this in the bud long before it came to this juncture, but work and a hundred and one other things got in the way as usual.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

In truth I feel guilty, I should have nipped this in the bud long before it came to this juncture, but work and a hundred and one other things got in the way as usual.

Sometimes no matter how you try, it refuses to remain budless

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My wife hires and fires all the time and she tells me some of the tales of firing people, and it sounds awful. Crying, anger, threats, complete shock, etc. makes me happy I dont have that responsibility.

It's never a pleasant task, however when it is warranted it becomes far easier. In many ways I find the idea of simply working far more attractive than management.

Sometimes no matter how you try, it refuses to remain budless

Very true, and yet still I feel some form of penance is due, guilt is an illogical beast.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've been on the receiving end of a termination notice twice times now. Most recently from the company I helped start! It sucks for the people it happens to and it sucks for the ones who have to tell them. I remember reading some of the HR folks in Citibank having a nervous breakdown over having to do that.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I guess it does make some sense. After I got cut I met the Yahoo regional VP in the washroom, laughed in his face his "I'm so sorry" was that sincere, heh. Ah, I've been laid off too many times in the decade I've been out of Uni.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's just how it is now. Once upon a time you got your education, then a job, stayed in that job all the way to retirement. Then it's gold watch, golf and pension. Now few companies even offer pensions and almost no one is able to hang on long enough to fill it out anyway. Most companies I've seen if you've been there 10 years you're the old graybeard. Heck by the time I turned 35 my resume was two full pages. The only exceptions seem to be public servants and govenrment jobs. The pay isn't great but it is stable. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today I gazed at the night sky and I saw a meteorite explode. No idea about the altitude or the size, but for the tiniest fraction of a second I saw a shooting star trail and boom, a very VERY bright white flash, like turning the light on and off very fast in complete dark room. 

Almost as cool as the large meteorite I saw a couple of years ago, it looked like a rocket, it dark red, surprisingly slow and left a trail like a missile.

People who go to bed early miss all the fun!  :lol:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

If I think back of the few times I got laid off, only once I really felt bad about it. All the other times it actually made me feel happy and a lil bit relieved. When I noticed the pattern a while back, I wondered if I am the kind of person who can't stay at the same place for too long- I never really quit on my own, though.

The place I am at right now, half a week long it really makes me want to throw everything away and just quit... but on the other half of the week it's the best job I've ever had so far. This is driving me more crazy now than anything else. :> Guess it's impossible to find the perfect job.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Experiences my first complete breakdown in communication today. To the point where, asked later by third parties if I was interested in reconciliation, I could honestly say "nope....". 

An interesting experience to say the least, but goes to show what can happen if you loose perspective and fail to catch something like that early on.

Fortune favors the bald.

I bought one of these today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mOc6PImP0

It's being delivered to a dealer in Memphis next week. Anyone want to buy a large tent? I'm done with that trash. I'm keeping the small one though. It's good for backpacking.

I think this spring I'm going out to the Rockies to do some fishing. Maybe Snake River. My dog Tommy is coming with for sure. I'll have to start working with Sunny. She is a little to nutty to be trusted off-leash and keeping up with her and supervising Tommy at the same time is a lot of work. Tommy has a good temperament and he's well trained, plus he's almost 10 years old so he's long out of his rambunctious days but he is still a dog and when he gets an idea in his head he's going to act on it.

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

What was your problem with big tents though? 

None in general. I do have a problem with mine. It's older than I am. My dad bought it in Sears before I was born. It's been repaired many times although I haven't used it that much recently. I have a small tent that has seen a lot of miles and a lot of nights under the stars though. The thing it, I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm still in good shape physically but I'm finding that being comfortable is more important to me now than it used to be. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm still in good shape physically but I'm finding that being comfortable is more important to me now than it used to be.

I'm using those huge inflatable mattresses wherever I hike with my tent, it weighs a lot but its totally worth it, sleeping on it feels like sleeping in my bed at home. If you aren't already using one of these I highly recommend them. They make a world of difference. Also with a good sleeping bag (400+ bucks) and a good tent (300+) its really comfortable no matter where you are. With good equipment you can camp really comfortably. That was my equipment in Iceland, slept in a tent for 10 days and always woke up fresh and energetic. 

What I did today: I broke another personal record in weight lifting, I have no idea why but lately I'm experiencing an unnatural power boost.

I can increase most of my lifts weekly, lifts which are already heavier than what most people can naturally achieve, lifts I could not increase for several months.

If I didn't know better I'd say I'm using some kind of performance enhancer or steroids.  :blink:

Also training feels so completely easy lately, I totally nail the technique every lift and my body control is  like 110% all the time. Also my muscle mass increased by 3 Kg in a little over 1 month, making me weigh 105kg now. (235lbs)

Like I said, I feel completely and unnaturally energetic. 

Edited by Woldan

Today I gazed at the night sky and I saw a meteorite explode. No idea about the altitude or the size, but for the tiniest fraction of a second I saw a shooting star trail and boom, a very VERY bright white flash, like turning the light on and off very fast in complete dark room. 

Almost as cool as the large meteorite I saw a couple of years ago, it looked like a rocket, it dark red, surprisingly slow and left a trail like a missile.

People who go to bed early miss all the fun!  :lol:

No one would have believed in the early years of the twenty first century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless depths of space. No one would have dreamed that we were being scrutinised as someone eith a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us...

Duh, duh, duh.

I have to admit that my late night walk with Fido is half spent staring up at the stars, especially in the wintertime when Orion is high and Ursa Major so clear, I think this is a very basic imperative for mankind, to stare up at the stars and ponder. Personally I believe this is why we have so many heavenly phenomena throughout history, Angels, Valkyries, Dragons, Gods and signs from on high such as inspired Constantine, we wish to make sense of the infinite I think.

Edit: The Caravan is inevitable for gentlemen of a certain age, it is a symbiotic entity that comes into being as age and youth mingle, just as conservatories will erupt from the home of any young married couple. These things cannot be fought against, only accepted. I admit that my little wheeled domicile has saved me many drenchings I once would have strode through without even paying attention, but now judge to be personal affronts from the Aether.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I've heard of a study thats says that people who regularly look at the sky are happier. Makes sense, no matter how many bad things happen during the day, no matter the setbacks, the dread and pain gets dulled by a simple nightly walk looking at the stars, for me it feels like a warm blanket wrapping around me.

I also always take a camera with me, these are my latest long shutter photos: 

DSCF4254_23_finalcoldkl_zpswzbqzrcw.jpg

stars2_kl_zpst3h5b1bo.jpg

• Like 6

That first one is absolutely gorgeous.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I remember a long time ago when I was in the military. We were on our way to Team Spirit in Pohang Korea from Okinawa aboard the USS St. Louis, an old LKA, what the Navy guys called a Gator Freighter. The first night out my friends and I went up to the top of the helipad to watch the sun set. After wards the ship blacked out because US ships run lights out in international waters I guess. After the sun set with no lights, at sea the stars stretched from horizon to horizon. It was February in the East China Sea, cold and clear. I've never seen the stars quite the same way since. I stayed out there most of the night, even after the others left. I'll never forget it.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

After the sun set with no lights, at sea the stars stretched from horizon to horizon. It was February in the East China Sea, cold and clear. I've never seen the stars quite the same way since. I stayed out there most of the night, even after the others left. I'll never forget it.

Thats why Death Valley is high on my list of places I have yet to visit, light pollution there is virtually non-existent - a photographers dream come true. I've also heard there is an entire national park in Canada for night sky photographers, a remote place where they try to keep artificial light sources to an absolute minimum. 

Sadly you can't find anything quite like it here in Europe, a major city or an airport 100 kilometers away from where I take the photos produces enough light pollution to dramatically degrade the quality of the photos.  

The main problem is I don't want to stay for more than two weeks and for those photos the weather has to be absolutely right, I have to check the moon phases, I have to make sure my business keeps running during that time etc. 

Timing all that far in advance with booking a flight is quite the nightmare. 

Edited by Woldan

After the sun set with no lights, at sea the stars stretched from horizon to horizon. It was February in the East China Sea, cold and clear. I've never seen the stars quite the same way since. I stayed out there most of the night, even after the others left. I'll never forget it.

Thats why Death Valley is high on my list of places I have yet to visit, light pollution there is virtually non-existent - a photographers dream come true. I've also heard there is an entire national park in Canada for night sky photographers, a remote place where they try to keep artificial light sources to an absolute minimum. 

Sadly you can't find anything quite like it here in Europe, a major city or an airport 100 kilometers away from where I take the photos produces enough light pollution to dramatically degrade the quality of the photos.  

The main problem is I don't want to stay for more than two weeks and for those photos the weather has to be absolutely right, I have to check the moon phases, I have to make sure my business keeps running during that time etc. 

Timing all that far in advance with booking a flight is quite the nightmare. 

Actually if you are going to Death Valley you really should visit Moab in Utah. It's a little out of the way but you'd like it. It's on my to-do list too.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

First visit of the shooting range this year, worked out really well. 

5 shot group at 100 meters with my little scoped 22lr precision rifle. (I wish I had aimed a tad higher)

DSCF4477_zpsvk33cilo.jpg

And 100 meters with my K98 with my hand loads and iron sights. Not bad for a 73 year old rifle. 

DSCF4475_zpsp1kjtwxe.jpg

I also picked up some fir cones, ripped them in half and put them on the 100 meters target, shot them down with the 22 with zero misses. 

Watching the cones fly and getting shredded by the little 22 was a lot of fun.  :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

I got back from my trip to Charlotte early this morning (around 2:30 AM), it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit when I got home (Connecticut, if this was your way of pushing me to leave, no need, my mind was already made up.  I'm leaving ASAP).  The trip was all business.  I looked at a whole bunch of places to live and filled out a bunch of applications.  Now I hope I get good news replies this coming week while continuing to make inquiries and do whatever I can via internet to set things up for my move.  

Ideally, I'll have both a decent job and a nice place to live lined up by April, but it's hard.  When you're trying to move to a far away place and not transferring with your job and you don't know anyone there at whose place you could crash at for a bit, you run into a chicken and egg scenario:  What comes first, the job or the place to live?  You really need to already reside there to get a job and you need to have a job there to get a place to live.  So how do you get a job without already residing there and how do you get a place of residence if you don't already have a job?

Regardless, I'm going to make this happen, one way or another.  This is not an if, it's a when.  It's happening and it's happening this year and soon.  Once I get one it makes the other exponentially easier to achieve.  If I get accepted for a job in Charlotte I can give property managers a letter of offer that shows them I'll have income there.  Conversely, if I get accepted for a place to live, I can show employers that I have a residence in Charlotte, which proves to them that they can depend on me to be there if they offer me a job.  As long as I get one or the other, I'll move even if I can't immediately fulfill the other part before I make my move.  If I get a job there but don't yet have a residence, I can stay at an extended stay inn for a while until I do get a permanent residence.  If I get a residence but don't yet have a job when I move I have enough savings that I can go several months without a paycheck.  Plus, I'll take whatever job I can find at first if necessary.  I'll work at a convenience store of a grocery store or whatever if I have to at first, so as to keep as much of my nest egg as possible intact.  I'll take whatever I can get to establish a foothold in Charlotte.  Once I have a job and a place to live there, then I can get picky and find find a better job and a nicer place to live.  Ideally, I'll have a good job and a nice place to live from the get go, but I'll make do with what I can get at first if necessary.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

10 years ago I had long hair. Over the shoulders and a lil bit more. At around age 20 I started balding, which became so bad that a few years later I've finally decided to get short hair again. Obviously the balding didn't stop and so on and so on. Barely 1 hour ago I finally took the last step- shaved my head and made me totally bald. It has cost me quite an effort, because... well, I am in germany, so bald head makes a certain connection. Also, what if I look really bad with bald head? ... Got through it now anyway, and now that it's done...

...I actually have to say it looks p.cool - even did some test photos from different point of views, and for the very first time in years I don't feel like my balding hair is the main focus. I mean, I've always tried to move my head in a way to hide this shait, but ofc it never worked and looked just as bad.

Will be quite a surprise when people see me tomorrow. Maybe I will pretend to have cancer and say that I've start cooking meth or something.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."