What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

Rear Wheel drive is a must.

I'm curious why? Doesn't rear wheel drive suffer in the winters? You mention rwd around these parts and people look at you like your lucky not to have rolled your car in a ditch. :lol:

It's an enthusiast thing. Rear-wheel drive gives you manly over-steer, front-wheel drive means you gave up on life. AWD is for rally cars. 

• Like 4

All Stop. On Screen.

Thought you were asking why I put spaces at all and I was just gonna say "so it's not all blocky." Then I realized that you're apparently able to notice two lines vs. one and this somehow bothers you. MIGHT YOU BE A TAD BIT OCD, IF I MAY INQUIRE?

Is it "OCD" to say "no, it's more OCPD than OCD"? :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's an enthusiast thing. Rear-wheel drive gives you manly over-steer, front-wheel drive means you gave up on life. AWD is for rally cars.

I can appreciate that. But not in an Illinois (and possibly Swedish?) winter, then you just have another car in the garage that you cant drive for ~4 months without fear of spectacular spinouts.

• Like 1

Hopefully within the next week I can get an Acura RSX from Carmax.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12429156

That seems like a lot for a car that's 10 years old and with that sort of mileage on it. 

Actually, I just did a google search on Acura as I've never heard of it before. Acura is the luxury vehicle division of Japanese automaker Honda. The brand was launched in the United States and Canada in March 1986, marketing luxury, performance, and high-performance vehicles.

I'd have to ask, is it really worth the money?

Honestly, yes. This and it's predecessor (the Integra) are probably some of the funnest cars on the planet from Acura. Plus I'm getting carmax's auto care that'll go to 175k miles or 4 years. I annoyed the crap out of myself for selling the Integra I had and replacing it with the POS I've got now. And with the way my current car is (A volvo v70 xc from 2002) I can't wait around.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I can appreciate that. But not in an Illinois (and possibly Swedish?) winter, then you just have another car in the garage that you cant drive for ~4 months without fear of spectacular spinouts.

I was just messing. In UT I had a Tacoma ... 4WD was the only way to get up the driveway. Days following a snow storm were fun in the truck, rear-wheel drive V6 manual with zero weight above the axle meant you could donut for days.  :aiee:

All Stop. On Screen.

Never lived in the cold, but I can't imagine not going with an AWD in snowy and/or wet climates.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not only have I given up on life with driving a front-wheel drive, I also drive a hybrid. :lol:

Since driving a hybrid Camry for the last 12 months, I couldn't go back to a normal car. The silence is so peaceful and I'm in my own little bubble without any noise. Can't even hear or feel the engine when you turn the car on. Sometimes I jump in my gf's Honda to fill it up with petrol and I'm like 'woah, this is a noisy car'. And then I realise, that's how normal cars sound.

I've had friends who've never driven a hybrid jump in my car and turn it on just to show how quiet it is and I'll say, 'the car is now on'. And they're like 'wtf? I can't feel or hear anything!'. And I'll say, see that ready light on the dash?, that's how you tell it's on. And they'll get out and put their ear to the front of the car and they'll be like, 'wow, I can just hear it'.

I was a little sceptical at first but now I couldn't see myself driving anything but a hybrid. It's a company car with unlimited fuel so I can't complain.

I'm actually in agreement on hybrids and would like to get an all electric car if only I could pull the trigger on such a large purchase for myself. I won't lie and say it's all peaches and gravy because there have been a few times I got out of the car not realizing it was still on

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's also amusing to watch when I tell them to put the keys in their pocket and don't take them out. They walk to the car, the car will unlock when they pull the handle, they get in, start the car, turn the car off, get out and lock the door with a sensor on the outside - with the keys still in their pocket.

I'm also a visual guy with the dash board. I just love the modern visuals. Also like the voice activated GPS, mobile phone and messaging. My gf finds it funny when I receive an sms, and then I respond with talking to the car and send a message back. 

• Like 1

I'm actually in agreement on hybrids and would like to get an all electric car if only I could pull the trigger on such a large purchase for myself. I won't lie and say it's all peaches and gravy because there have been a few times I got out of the car not realizing it was still on

march 31.

*sigh*

it may be silly, but am gonna put down a deposit on a tesla model 3.  is not a car that is gonna wow folks, but for home-to-town driving, an electric car makes sense.  oh sure, will likely be near two years before we get the delivered vehicle, and we still need our bmw 'cause o' the dogs... as ludicrous as that sounds. 

is what amounts to a 35k impulse buy.  need to have our head examined.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@ Longknife: It sounds like the person is socially awkward so they onsessively repeat what "worked" for them in previous interactions. If youre at a breaking point cant you just unfriend them or something? Ive run into people like that before and I wind up pity-friending them because I feel like I'm their only friend. :lol:

Bingo.

If I knew the guy personally? If I could confirm, for example, that he has more friends, I'd let loose and speak my mind. But I don't know that, and I can't do that to someone who may otherwise be friendless.

For what it's worth, I've been in a similar situation as one of my close friends is autistic. While we both attended college, we lived in the same dorm and I could hardly meet any other friends inside my dorm without him joining as he would listen to the sound of my room door opening or closing in order to determine whether I was home or not. At that time, my friend too hardly had any friends and because of that, I too felt it was difficult to broach the subject to him.

Yet, in the end I did. Because he did not pick up on hints and because if he was going to continue with his behavior his behavior would have continued to intrude into large parts of my life for several years at least. At first, he didn't like it and it nearly killed our friendship. However, given time it motivated him to go out and make more friends, whilst our friendship got more balanced, we got to hang out on a more voluntary basis and I stopped seeing his presence as something bothersome.

That is all to point out that a relationship of friendship based on pity is not good for either of you. In the end, both of you are responsible for your own life's happiness. Addressing this problem directly might give him the opportunity to address some of these annoyances. If not, at least you're making sure that someone won't take away from your enjoyment of gaming for a sustained period of time, which is important as well.

Not really, if you've got real winter tyres there is'nt much of a problem. The most common car in Sweden up until recently was a real wheel drive Volvo. As an extra bonus, I can take the car to races after some tuning. original.gif

Never lived in the cold, but I can't imagine not going with an AWD in snowy and/or wet climates.

Having so much snow that 4WD is a need is really rare here, in the northernmost parts, maybe. And if you need 4WD because there are wet leaves on the ground, you should reconsider your choice in tyres tongue.png

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We tossed around the idea of all electric vehicle but in the end put the kibosh on it for completely unrealistic reasons. Its not the cost, my wife's current car cost more than that, its that even though 99.9% of our lives occur comfortably in the vehicles battery range Ive convinced myself its not enough. ~200 miles makes me nervous (even though I could charge up every night at home) and the thought of cooling my heels at a charging station (which barely exists) for ~20 minutes annoys me greatly. Even though it wouldn't factor into my life. :lol: Oh well, maybe we'll look again in 5 years and see where the technology and infrastructure has advanced to.

We tossed around the idea of all electric vehicle but in the end put the kibosh on it for completely unrealistic reasons. Its not the cost, my wife's current car cost more than that, its that even though 99.9% of our lives occur comfortably in the vehicles battery range Ive convinced myself its not enough. ~200 miles makes me nervous (even though I could charge up every night at home) and the thought of cooling my heels at a charging station (which barely exists) for ~20 minutes annoys me greatly. Even though it wouldn't factor into my life. laughing.gif Oh well, maybe we'll look again in 5 years and see where the technology and infrastructure has advanced to.

I might consider an electric car if the batteries were'nt so dirty, and if the recharge time was the same as a petrol vehicle. Then again, I really like combustion engines. Would prefer a cleaner fuel for them instead.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's really not that bad. Unless you're going out into the unpopulated area's most locations that get snow are gonna be plowed pretty soon after the snow. 

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, I hate it

Everytime it gets bad here I question why I ever moved out this way. Thankfully there aren't that many really bad days here but I would never go out and drive in it without AWD and even then...  :ermm:. To each his own, I guess

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's a nerve wracking time of year here next to the mighty Mississippi. It's way up out of it's banks. That means the tributaries like the Hatchee & Lauderdale rivers are out of their banks. That means Cold Creek is out if it's banks and encroaching on my back yard. I seriously doubt it will reach the house. It never has and all the data suggests the river has crested. The downside is I'll be buying a few truckloads of fill dirt and renting a Bobcat to fix the erosion. The upside is if I want to go fishing I don't have to walk so far. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueQ0TfVGxU4

Michael Winter was my Godfather. Mom approached him and his wife (also disabled; told Japan to **** off when she got fed up of their horrendous treatment of her for her disability) when I was an infant, basically desperate and wanting advice on how to raise me since she knew nothing about raising a disabled child. Not only did they give her sound advice (to raise me just as she would any other child and not give me special treatment), they actively became a part of my life.

He died about 2-3 years ago, this video popped up yesterday thanks to his wife and I just caught wind of it. Sad that he's gone, but happy to know that he was recognized for being the good guy that he was. Been thinking a lot about him today.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Why has no company ever made a true all-in-one multi-mode radio? WI-Fi/Internet with Pandora, I <3 Radio, Sirius/XM, all the usual as well as AM/FM/CB/SW and terrestrial radio scanners and NOAA Emergency? Why has this not been made yet? I'd buy one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A community I was a part of over 7-8 years ago just made efforts to track me down and finally found me. I'm not quite sure what to say or think.

Like on one hand it's flattering. They said they missed me cause I'm a funny, charming, intelligent guy, and thus out of nowhere they're like "we need to find him again and make sure he's doing alright."

On the other hand...I'm not doing alright. Like ok, I'm a ****ing child in this regard: I "run" from my problems in this sense. I was kinda raised to feel like I'm only as important as my accomplishments. Not sure how to describe it. Like I'm not one of those jerkholes that's like "you work at McDonalds? What a loser..." Yo screw off with that crap, show respect to everyone. At the same time, I was held to high expectations and I was raised to always feel like I had to accomplish something for people. It's only over recent years that I've come to terms with the fact that while my mother does indeed love me and would take a bullet for me like any mother would, she doesn't respect me. I am not here to be an individual with my own ambitions, my own motives and my own desires. No, I am here to be prestigious and successful so she can brag to her friends and reap the benefits of whatever well-paying job she pushes me towards. Being raised by an attitude like that has I guess had some profound impact on me where if I cannot talk to a person in such a way that I'm making them happy or entertaining them or whatever, then I feel like a problem and don't want to be there. As such, I don't know how on earth I would talk to a group that, last they knew of me, my life was going great. I'd just feel like a disappointment or a failure, and then I have this attitude of "better to not talk to them so they don't have to know the bad stuff or worry about me." But I mean this can get ridiculous. I mean I've got a friend I basically cut ties with because she wanted to invite me to her wedding after we hadn't spoken for a year, and I couldn't bare to go there and just be like "ya I'm doing ****ty." And that **** IS painful, cause then I feel ****ty for not responding (as I should), but I don't know what to say either. I just always feel like I'll worry or disappoint people, and I don't wanna do that.

And to top that off, mom is also PSYCHO ****ING OBSESSIVE. I'm talking like, I moved across the damned Atlantic to get away from her and now she's trying to figure out how to buy property IN MY TOWN so she can live next to me. I could move to freaking Japan and she'd be looking up tips on learning Japanese or some crap. So in that light, yeah, it does weird me out a bit and make me feel uncomfortable when someone tries to track me. Reminds me too much of a very uncomfortable relationship with my mom and freaks me out, and then I'm just wanting to run even more. Makes my commitment issues go "god pls no."

But here I am sitting here asking myself "wut is life" cause I know these guys and know they mean no harm, and I'm catching myself potentially respectfully declining some form of reunion, and it's just got me thinking a lot.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm going to start packing a few things today for my upcoming move to Charlotte *excited squealing*.  The move isn't for a couple more weeks, so I'm only going to pack the things I am absolutely sure I won't use during that time.  All the regular use items will get packed up the last week before I leave.  I'm making an effort to clean out the fridge and freezer now too, and once I've used everything up I won't be buying any more food to make at home, I'll just eat at restaurants for a week or two.  Everything that doesn't get used in the fridge or freezer (mostly condiments) goes in the trash.  Any canned goods I don't use before the move I'll donate to a soup kitchen or whatever.  No point in bringing any food along, I'll buy food when I get there.

I'll also plan out a trip, probably over a weekend, to Boston to see my sister and visit beantown again before I move almost 1000 miles away.  I haven't been to Boston in several years, so it will cool to see it again, though I don't look forward to driving there (to those that have never been in Boston, it's a maddening labyrinth of one way streets).  I'll probably just park at my sister's place and take a bus or walk. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A community I was a part of over 7-8 years ago just made efforts to track me down and finally found me.

Is why I change my identity every 6 years.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra