What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

I couldnt find that word in any dictionary yet I know at times I get interrupted by my lady friends..and I talk a lot so it takes a lot to interrupt me

But do we need that word in a dictionary?  I dont feel shame getting interrupted by my lady friends?

C'mon BVC. If "manterrupting" is "shaming" a female, is it the same when a woman interrupts a man?

I know you think I'm using double standards but there is a difference, I can explain it if you are interested but it will be a few paragraphs?

If you want me to explain please give me 2-3 hours as I have my  complex Trustee meeting now and I need to prepare some notes 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Appreciate the offer but I'm going to pass. Weve already discussed how you feel that <something> happening to the "downtrodden" is totally okay when turned against the "oppressor".

Well I appreciate the honesty because I would rather not make a long post if someone doesn't want me to 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Appreciate the offer but I'm going to pass. Weve already discussed how you feel that <something> happening to the "downtrodden" is totally okay when turned against the "oppressor".

To be fair, I'm pretty sure nobody ever died of being interrupted in conversations.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

To be fair, I'm pretty sure nobody ever died of being interrupted in conversations.

True, but I'm of the opinion that crappy behavior works both ways. BVC is of the opinion that whoever he feels is oppressed is free to do the same things to others and its totally cool. I just don't have the desire to converse with such a mentality.

True, but I'm of the opinion that crappy behavior works both ways. BVC is of the opinion that whoever he feels is oppressed is free to do the same things to others and its totally cool. I just don't have the desire to converse with such a mentality.

But thats not what I believe but I dont have time to explain now, maybe later?

John Milton 

True, but I'm of the opinion that crappy behavior works both ways. BVC is of the opinion that whoever he feels is oppressed is free to do the same things to others and its totally cool.

I think you're being a little harsh on him.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Unless Mr. VC is actually being physically harmed or threatened, I'm not sure your sentence is literally even possible. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Amazing how hard it is to say "Hey I wasn't finished".

I also enjoy just talking through their interruption, usually asserts my dominance over the relevant piece of conversation

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

True, but I'm of the opinion that crappy behavior works both ways. BVC is of the opinion that whoever he feels is oppressed is free to do the same things to others and its totally cool.

Its more I'm being misunderstood, my objectives to achieve social equality are not based on believing minority groups need to oppress groups that use to oppress them

I dont believe in the Animal Farm outcome and never have 

John Milton 

Fine. I know I'm going to regret this but here we go:

If "manterrupting" is "shaming" a female, is it the same when a woman interrupts a man?

I already know your answer is "no". To increase the odds of me reading the entirety of your post, try to keep to the point of why it is not shaming when a female womanterrupts a man.

Fine. I know I'm going to regret this but here we go:

If "manterrupting" is "shaming" a female, is it the same when a woman interrupts a man?

I already know your answer is "no". To increase the odds of me reading the entirety of your post, try to keep to the point of why it is not shaming when a female womanterrupts a man.

Okay I'll keep it simple but please understand I'm not saying "no " ...I am just saying there is context 

The whole concept of a man interrupting a women is historical and represents an aspect of women that  have been marginalized for centuries. Its ties into the whole era where women weren't allowed or expected to have an opinion. So its an injustice around gender equality and this term " "manterrupting" for me just symbolizes this metaphorically 

But men haven't typically ever been in social environments where they weren't allowed to speak as there gender made them perceived to be inferior

So yes if you ignore the historical context then being interrupted by a women would or could be seen as shaming but typically because this is not common for men its not considered something shameful ?

John Milton 

The historical context is likely where you lose my sympathies. We live in today, and rude behavior (IE: Interrupting when someone else is talking) is equally rude no matter the sex of the speaker or recipient. IMO its not, in any case, acceptable for an aggrieved minority to do the exact same things that they themselves find distasteful to someone else. Theres no "pay back". :no:

I know "mansplaining" (man + explaining) has been for a while, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"Manterrupting"?  Is that actually a thing now?

Well its more a suggested official new word in the English dictionary, see below

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/submission/16561/manterrupting

The historical context is likely where you lose my sympathies. We live in today, and rude behavior (IE: Interrupting when someone else is talking) is equally rude no matter the sex of the speaker or recipient. IMO its not, in any case, acceptable for an aggrieved minority to do the exact same things that they themselves find distasteful to someone else. Theres no "pay back". :no:

Well its not acceptable now for men to be interrupted, no one is suggesting that 

Its just a symbolic word that represents a culture of behavior that some men still practice, I wish I could explain it properly because I'm failing  :blush:

John Milton 

In my opinion, it's less about "payback", and more about "this is a thing that happens to women more often than it does to men, hence even if the number of women who do it doubles, things still won't be equal".

The logic behind getting interrupted = shaming I do not understand, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility of it making sense in context of the actual lecture (lord knows I've seen accomplished scientists in respected fields write presentation headers and text that made absolutely no goddamn sense when read).

• Like 1

In my opinion, it's less about "payback", and more about "this is a thing that happens to women more often than it does to men, hence even if the number of women who do it doubles, things still won't be equal".

The logic behind getting interrupted = shaming I do not understand, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility of it making sense in context of the actual lecture (lord knows I've seen accomplished scientists in respected fields write presentation headers and text that made absolutely no goddamn sense when read).

I was hoping you would get my point, you have a good view of these matters 

I can explain the point to you in more detail if you interested?

John Milton 

@alum: I think that's whats bothering me, why are poor societal manners being taught and equated with "shaming" and sexism?

Because somehow those poor societal manners end up affecting women disproportionately. If the number of women and men is the same, you'd expect them to be interrupted at the same rate if the sole reason for interrupting people is poor socialization.

Its more I'm being misunderstood, my objectives to achieve social equality are not based on believing minority groups need to oppress groups that use to oppress them

Not quite the same. The animals on Animal Farm didn't oppress the humans. The oppressed the other animals to the point they became just like the humans. Which is pretty inevitable when one group obtains power over another history tells us.

Personally on the topic you guys were discussing if reading the words of someone you don't really know or give a f--k about makes someone "feel bad" I'd suggest they drink a shot of whiskey and man the f--k up. Words don't cause injury.*

*(Except in cases of libel or slander. just don't tell lies ok?)

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Back on the topic of what we did today I met with my lawyer today. She came out to my house to go over some things. I had never met her before and didn't realize she would be smoking hot. But she literally bitched for 10 minutes on how far out in the sticks I lived and made a less than complimentary comment about my dogs. Suddenly she didn't seem so hot anymore. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Personally on the topic you guys were discussing if reading the words of someone you don't really know or give a f--k about makes someone "feel bad" I'd suggest they drink a shot of whiskey and man the f--k up. 

That's pretty arrogant coming from someone who never experienced the problem.

I mean, neither did I, but I assume if the solution was that simple, people would do that.

Not quite the same. The animals on Animal Farm didn't oppress the humans. The oppressed the other animals to the point they became just like the humans. Which is pretty inevitable when one group obtains power over another history tells us.

Personally on the topic you guys were discussing if reading the words of someone you don't really know or give a f--k about makes someone "feel bad" I'd suggest they drink a shot of whiskey and man the f--k up. Words don't cause injury.*

*(Except in cases of libel or slander. just don't tell lies ok?)

'  " 

GD you know how many times I get   "insulted "  on these forums ?

People  say I'm ignorant, a  troll and other things...imagine if every single time someone said something " nasty "  about me I got offended...I would quite possibly be offended every day :lol:  

But I only care what people who I respect say about me so sometimes I may something possibly  rude to someone and I dont mean to come across a certain way. That bothers me because obviously you dont want to offend people you like. Like where I wasn't sure if I had annoyed you with the whole " redneck "  comment 

John Milton 

I was just speaking in general, not you specifically. Facebook is fraught with pansies weeping because someone said something mean about their posts.  :lol:

It's funny about the redneck comment. That was the exact vibe I got talking to that lawyer today until she came in the house and sat down in my office in the loft and saw what was doing there. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell