What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

I was just speaking in general, not you specifically. Facebook is fraught with pansies weeping because someone said something mean about their posts.  :lol:

It's funny about the redneck comment. That was the exact vibe I got talking to that lawyer today until she came in the house and sat down in my office in the loft and saw what was doing there. 

Yes I know you made a general comment not directed to me, I was just explaining how my experiences may tie in to your view.

Come on...it must have felt great  when the hottie realized you aren't some indigent , uneducated hillbilly

Its not like you need acceptance from anyone but its still fun smashing stereotypes 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Personally on the topic you guys were discussing if reading the words of someone you don't really know or give a f--k about makes someone "feel bad" I'd suggest they drink a shot of whiskey and man the f--k up. 

That's pretty arrogant coming from someone who never experienced the problem.

I mean, neither did I, but I assume if the solution was that simple, people would do that.

It is. Just that simple. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A couple years back we got bought out by an american company. Not a lot changed except my supervisor's desire to be seen as invaluable to the new regime. Well now they have decided to completely overhaul the way the warehouse operates and bring in scanners. Which kinda sucks because after meeting with all the managers from all the warehouses across Canada, the other managers seemed dumbfounded by the amount of work we were able to get done the way we have the warehouse set up. For example talking to one manager he was talking about his crew putting away a bulk shipment. Bulk shipments are about 1500-2000 lbs per pallet, usually about 30-50 lbs per box. The procedure we have for putting it all onto the shelves is to check off each item to ensure it was accurately shipped, then put it away. The other manager had 5 guys putting away a 50 pallet shipment without checking it off, and after an 8 hour shift had 6 pallets left over. We can get 50 pallets checked off and put away with 2 guys in 8.5 hours, so for them to have 5 guys and skip a step and still not get it done in a shift was crazy. We also got picking numbers from the Edmonton branch where the average number of lines per day picked by each staff member in the Home Depot department was around 140. Our branch averages around 500.

The main reason we are able to do so much more is because we have our warehouse set up numerically by part number, and after a couple of weeks most new employees know where every number is in the warehouse. We were never on scanners, while the other warehouses that do things in 2-4x as much time as we do are generally "wild warehouse" They put things where they have room for it and locate it in the computer. With the new scanner system we have been ordered to do the same, the reason being that being set up numerically wastes shelf space, as some numbers we don't stock as much as others. They are also rolling out this new system in the middle of the summer, and us being a fastener company is the busiest time of the year as its when everyone is doing construction and home renos. To accommodate resetting up the warehouse and learning an entirely new system during the busiest time of the year, head office has issued a vacation blackout for the months of July and August, so no one is allowed to take vacation during those months. The blackout was issued after both months had been fully booked. Many of us will also be required to work weekends in order to do the reset, as we can't be moving product around while people are picking it

TL:DR - We are the most efficient branch in our company, head office wants to switch us over to a much less efficient system in order to save shelf space, and to do so no one gets summer holidays.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Personally on the topic you guys were discussing if reading the words of someone you don't really know or give a f--k about makes someone "feel bad" I'd suggest they drink a shot of whiskey and man the f--k up. 

That's pretty arrogant coming from someone who never experienced the problem.

I mean, neither did I, but I assume if the solution was that simple, people would do that.

It is. Just that simple. 

Occam's razor says it ain't, unless your basic assumptions are made in tremendously bad faith.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Technically yesterday, but; Bought a car. Volvo 940 Classic -98. Excellent condintion for it's age, minor rust along the back wheelarches and the AC does'nt work, but the engine, chassis, and the important parts are in perfect condition.

The colour is really, really weird though.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Technically yesterday, but; Bought a car. Volvo 940 Classic -98. Excellent condintion for it's age, minor rust along the back wheelarches and the AC does'nt work, but the engine, chassis, and the important parts are in perfect condition.

Nice, I didnt think you Swedes used cars?

I always assumed reindeer pulling  a sleigh was how you got around   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because somehow those poor societal manners end up affecting women disproportionately. If the number of women and men is the same, you'd expect them to be interrupted at the same rate if the sole reason for interrupting people is poor socialization.

I assume there is proof of this claim? 

Don't leave us hanging. What color is it?

Because somehow those poor societal manners end up affecting women disproportionately. If the number of women and men is the same, you'd expect them to be interrupted at the same rate if the sole reason for interrupting people is poor socialization.

I assume there is proof of this claim? 

Don't leave us hanging. What color is it?

There is ALWAYS proof.....but surly you dont need it to believe someone a forum?

John Milton 

Had a nice lunch with the girlfriend at the local pub. Rump Steak, chips and salad with peppercorn sauce and a beer to wash it down. It's becoming a little tradition we have every Wednesday where we leave work for an hour (our lunch hour is an hour each day anyway) and go to the pub and have a nice lunch. Back to the office for an hour or so to finish up some work and back home to relax. Great to leave work at 3.30pm every day and back home within 10-15 mins.

There is ALWAYS proof.....but surly you dont need it to believe someone a forum?

On a gaming forum? Yes.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Theres been a worldwide study on the matter? Hell yeah I want to see this piece of work. Link away!

Gfted1 can I ask you a question?

If someone said to you  " what are the  tenets or principles of gender equality "  what would you say they are?

In other words what do feminists want or people that support there views?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Theres good people out there with good intentions but generally speaking, imo, the more rabid of these individuals just want to shout down any dissenting opinions and use "SEXISM" as their weapon.

You know what, if that's the rules we must play by...in my household my wife interrupts me when I'm talking fairly regularly. She does it because she gets excited about the conversation and words just bubble out but it still aggravates me because I think its rude. But maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Maybe shes been "shaming" me all these years and Ive just never noticed that my manhood is being harshed?

Of course this is a tangent and specifically wrt to your and my conversation, I fully expected you to handwave "reverse discrimination", as you have before. You didn't this time so that's progress. :thumbsup:

I am amazed how women have survived through the generations when there's these kinds of problems. It's a good thing we have invented them now so that we can finally solve them.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Theres good people out there with good intentions but generally speaking, imo, the more rabid of these individuals just want to shout down any dissenting opinions and use "SEXISM" as their weapon.

You know what, if that's the rules we must play by...in my household my wife interrupts me when I'm talking fairly regularly. She does it because she gets excited about the conversation and words just bubble out but it still aggravates me because I think its rude. But maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Maybe shes been "shaming" me all these years and Ive just never noticed that my manhood is being harshed?

Of course this is a tangent and specifically wrt to your and my conversation, I fully expected you to handwave "reverse discrimination", as you have before. You didn't this time so that's progress. :thumbsup:

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your personal experiences, you are not wrong about certain things 

Its a natural human response to get annoyed if someone interrupts you, this is not about gender. Who would like someone preventing them from talking..of course this can be frustrating 

Also I agree there is a degree of emotion around gender equality and sometimes people go overboard...its getting to a stage where guys are not sure if opening a door for a women will be seen in a negative light.." I can open my own door thank you " ..I am still chivalrous and just ignore this

This social development of women being interrupted doesnt apply to all women...in fact none of the women I know have ever said to me " I feel shamed because I'm always being interrupted " 

Its just one of things people who believe in gender equality are opposed  to from a historical context but maybe it should be framed better ?

John Milton 

its getting to a stage where guys are not sure if opening a door for a women will be seen in a negative light.." I can open my own door thank you " ..I am still chivalrous and just ignore this

My rule of thumb for doors is:

If I'm coming to a door, I open it and hold it until everyone coming the opposite way has passed. If anyone is following me through the door, I'll hold it open as I pass through the doorway long enough for them to take control of it, at which point the door is theirs to do with what they want, although I may make exceptions to this if a large group is behind me and I'm in no particular hurry.

At no time to I check to see if the people going through the doorway meet some arbitrary physical requirement.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

its getting to a stage where guys are not sure if opening a door for a women will be seen in a negative light.." I can open my own door thank you " ..I am still chivalrous and just ignore this

If I'm coming to a door, I open it and hold it until everyone coming the opposite way has passed. If anyone is following me through the door, I'll hold it open as I pass through the doorway long enough for them to take control of it, at which point the door is theirs to do with what they want, although I may make exceptions to this if a large group is behind me and I'm in no particular hurry.

At no time to I check to see if the people going through the doorway meet some arbitrary physical requirement.

But what if you are with a lady, would you open a door in lets say a restaurant?

John Milton 

But what if you are with a lady, would you open a door in lets say a restaurant?

Unless she opens it for me first, yes. But I'd also open the door if I were with a guy, a group, or if alone open it for others.

I don't open car doors for anyone, however, that process is too awkward with modern cars, parking lots and/or traffic.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Unless she opens it for me first, yes. But I'd also open the door if I were with a guy, a group, or if alone open it for others.

I don't open car doors for anyone, however, that process is too awkward with modern cars, parking lots and/or traffic.

Yes same as me, I have had the odd occasion where I have politely opened the door for a stranger and they dont acknowledge it ....so I just say out loud "  no problem, it was my pleasure "  :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Yes same as me, I have had the odd occasion where I have politely opened the door for a stranger and they dont acknowledge it ....so I just say out loud "  no problem, it was my pleasure "  :biggrin:

I never say anything, its too easy to assign motivation (intentional rudeness) when the truth is, I don't know why. Maybe they're a jerk, but maybe they're preoccupied with something and genuinely wasn't processing. It doesn't matter.

We have a custom here where if you come to a funeral procession you pull the side of the rode and wait for it to pass. A lot of transplants hate this custom and argue that the dead person doesn't care and the family is to wrapped up in their grief to care if some strangers stop by the road and doff their caps.  But to me that's missing the point.

• Like 1

I never say anything, its too easy to assign motivation (intentional rudeness) when the truth is, I don't know why. Maybe they're a jerk, but maybe they're preoccupied with something and genuinely wasn't processing. It doesn't matter.

We have a custom here where if you come to a funeral procession you pull the side of the rode and wait for it to pass. A lot of transplants hate this custom and argue that the dead person doesn't care and the family is to wrapped up in their grief to care if some strangers stop by the road and doff their caps.  But to me that's missing the point.

Thats  a nice gesture and show of respect, well played 

John Milton 

"Side of the rode"?  Goodness what has happened to my ability to type a cognizant sentence?

"Side of the rode"?  Goodness what has happened to my ability to type a cognizant sentence?

:lol:

I didnt even notice it 

John Milton 

:lol:

I didnt even notice it 

Sometimes I re-read my posts and realize that I'm not the monkey in the room who happens to bang out the works of Shakespeare.