What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

I wish I were handy, save money on house repairs. Have a leaky deck on top of our garage and on top of all the other stuff breaking in house. Bah.

But at least I am not dead, yet.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nice. What's your new ride?

The Acura RSX I was talking about earlier.

I'm a bit more modest, waiting for the response to my lease application for a small Audi A1. Crossing fingers and hoping they hurry up.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ooooh boy, now it was my turn to be the **** in a relationship. I broke up and she was left utterly devastated. She was tall with body of a ballerina but frankly we had nothing in common, not even in the bedroom. But she still texts me that she wants me back, even after i pointed out that i did not love her and that she deserves someone that does.

I'm not gonna sleep well tonight.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

After a long day at work and a rousing game of chase with the pups and feed-the-finicky-ungrateful rabbit with the rabbits I think I'm going to pour three fingers of Kentucky's finest and veg out to Classic Rewind in XM Radio for the rest of the night.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Am debating applying for an Area Manager position with a janitorial services group. Never heard of em, but I do know that it'd be a significantly better job than where I'm at.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Its a long weekend in SA, Human Rights Day is tomorrow

Very important day for us where we remember the Sharpeville Massacre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpeville_massacre

And as I mentioned having a long weekend is always a bonus   :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished painting the kitchen cabinets, replaced the knobs and hinges and rehung the doors. It came out awesome. Thanks be unto the Flying Spaghetti Monster, when we went to buy the backsplash they only had 2 of the 7 boxes I'll need in stock so I got to push that project back a week. :lol:

• Like 3

After last night's dream, have two thoughts. One is why did I dream I was in a Mexican gun range. And the other is an urge to buy a 1911 somehow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Very important day for us where we remember the Sharpeville Massacre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpeville_massacre

And as I mentioned having a long weekend is always a bonus :dancing:

I checked out the wiki article and while I am not a friend to the police using guns or how they reacted in general, I somehow can see how they might have felt in that situation. Thousands of people around, probably a very tense and aggressive vibe in the air, then this stuff where police dudes got killed by a mob a while back somewhere else, etc. Guess all that means it was a huge governmental fckup.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Very important day for us where we remember the Sharpeville Massacre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpeville_massacre

And as I mentioned having a long weekend is always a bonus :dancing:

I checked out the wiki article and while I am not a friend to the police using guns or how they reacted in general, I somehow can see how they might have felt in that situation. Thousands of people around, probably a very tense and aggressive vibe in the air, then this stuff where police dudes got killed by a mob a while back somewhere else, etc. Guess all that means it was a huge governmental fckup.

Yes the police were  faced with a hostile mob but they didn't have guns or  any advanced weaponry...so the police always had the advantage during Apartheid

But this day is actually more about the fact there was serious domestic  resistance to the   Apartheid government and the rejection of the Pass Laws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_laws

...it was a  day of defiance and historically significant for SA history :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Posting this here just because lord knows these forums don't need another full topic on this kinda stuff, but:

http://imgur.com/PyxkgX7

Ok, so let's set aside the whole SJWs vs. non-SJW crap for a second. In the most objective neutral way possible, anyone should be able to look at this and see that #5 blatantly contradicts #4, and yet this is a university class. Any form of study that contradicts itself *that quickly* should be subject to extreme scrutiny and some serious questions about the value of the class. And yet this isn't exactly a one-off; you can find dozens of stories about various little gender studies classes or the like with varying degrees of sketchy teachings, yet universities continue to embrace this stuff.

Why?

I'm posting this because I'm genuinely curious. I'm posting this in hopes someone here has contact to a college dean, someone involved with these studies, a professor, whatever, and that someone can shed light on why on earth universities - places that are supposed to be beacons of knowledge - are teaching subjects so blatantly lacking in quality or actual knowledge.

Even Theology, an area of study that any atheist would be hesitant to acknowledge as valid, is a subject that will teach it's students plenty of history, culture, interpretations, snippets of languages etc, so if a zealous atheist were to knock on theology's door and demand to see actual tangible knowledge that's taught rather than blind matters of faith, Theology could provide what's demanded of it. Theology is a subject that even an atheist could study and feel as though they've learned something worthwhile, despite the obvious conflicts at hand.

But this...? You cannot teach something that contradicts itself every two seconds. There is no method to this. There is nothing being critically assessed. There's nothing of value here. That seems like the most obvious thing in the world to me, yet universities continue to teach this stuff here and there. Can anyone explain why?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Posting this here just because lord knows these forums don't need another full topic on this kinda stuff, but:

Ok, so let's set aside the whole SJWs vs. non-SJW crap for a second. In the most objective neutral way possible, anyone should be able to look at this and see that #5 blatantly contradicts #4, and yet this is a university class. Any form of study that contradicts itself *that quickly* should be subject to extreme scrutiny and some serious questions about the value of the class. And yet this isn't exactly a one-off; you can find dozens of stories about various little gender studies classes or the like with varying degrees of sketchy teachings, yet universities continue to embrace this stuff.

Why?

I'm posting this because I'm genuinely curious. I'm posting this in hopes someone here has contact to a college dean, someone involved with these studies, a professor, whatever, and that someone can shed light on why on earth universities - places that are supposed to be beacons of knowledge - are teaching subjects so blatantly lacking in quality or actual knowledge.

Even Theology, an area of study that any atheist would be hesitant to acknowledge as valid, is a subject that will teach it's students plenty of history, culture, interpretations, snippets of languages etc, so if a zealous atheist were to knock on theology's door and demand to see actual tangible knowledge that's taught rather than blind matters of faith, Theology could provide what's demanded of it. Theology is a subject that even an atheist could study and feel as though they've learned something worthwhile, despite the obvious conflicts at hand.

But this...? You cannot teach something that contradicts itself every two seconds. There is no method to this. There is nothing being critically assessed. There's nothing of value here. That seems like the most obvious thing in the world to me, yet universities continue to teach this stuff here and there. Can anyone explain why?

Those 7 points seem  reasonable to me, which ones dont you think is shaming ? 

John Milton 

Why?

Mods how have you not banned this guy? I mean....it's getting pretty blatant.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Why?

Mods how have you not banned this guy? I mean....it's getting pretty blatant.

What because I don't agree with you....all those points are still examples of shaming. You are over-analyzing things 

John Milton 

BruceVC, can you tell me how manterrupting is not gendered laungage used to shame?

No its not because the word is used in the struggle to achieve gender equality. So the word would be used by women and men who believe in gender equality and the word represents  one of those societal problems that does exist in some places. Its symbolic and has relevance 

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/submission/16561/manterrupting

John Milton 

So let me guess, in your world there is no such thing as womanterrupting?

I couldnt find that word in any dictionary yet I know at times I get interrupted by my lady friends..and I talk a lot so it takes a lot to interrupt me

But do we need that word in a dictionary?  I dont feel shame getting interrupted by my lady friends?

John Milton 

BruceVC, can you tell me how manterrupting is not gendered laungage used to shame?

That's a word now? Hmmf, all they need to do now is find a good shame word for disagreeing with a woman and they're all set.

How about mantadict?

As in: "Stop mantadicting me, that's ****'s sexist man."

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I couldnt find that word in any dictionary yet I know at times I get interrupted by my lady friends..and I talk a lot so it takes a lot to interrupt me

But do we need that word in a dictionary?  I dont feel shame getting interrupted by my lady friends?

C'mon BVC. If "manterrupting" is "shaming" a female, is it the same when a woman interrupts a man?

It absolutely is. Did the course claim otherwise?

Because what I'm seeing is that an undesirable behavior here is being saddled with a cutesy nickname intended to shame those who indulge in said behavior, which is... traditionally how societies generally tend to sanction undesirable behavior that merits no criminal punishment?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."