Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

Anyone knows some good samurai sword / katana (action) movies? Western, japanese or chinese, doesn't really matter.

I remember some old one I've seen years ago. Was about a dude who lost his sword and then pretended to have a sword.. so he fought everyone with his sword sheet only. Or there was a tv show (I think?) with a guy and a child. Wolf something-something. It probably was inspired by a comic or book with the same name.

/edit: Just found the second one. It's called "Lone Wolf And Cub: Sword Of Vengeance" and from 1972.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Anyone knows some good samurai sword / katana (action) movies? Western, japanese or chinese, doesn't really matter.

I remember some old one I've seen years ago. Was about a dude who lost his sword and then pretended to have a sword.. so he fought everyone with his sword sheet only. Or there was a tv show (I think?) with a guy and a child. Wolf something-something. It probably was inspired by a comic or book with the same name.

/edit: Just found the second one. It's called "Lone Wolf And Cub: Sword Of Vengeance" and from 1972.

13 assassins.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Moola, I assume. I will admit to having a soft spot for SyFy originals in that they are so bad they come full circle and become awesome to me. Why just the other day I got sucked into a marathon of 2-Headed Shark Attack and 3 Headed Shark Attack. And who can forget Piranhaconda? :lol:

Moola, I assume. I will admit to having a soft spot for SyFy originals in that they are so bad they come full circle and become awesome to me. Why just the other day I got sucked into a marathon of 2-Headed Shark Attack and 3 Headed Shark Attack. And who can forget Piranhaconda? :lol:

Ghost Shark.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I love "so bad its good" movies too. But for the life of me, I don't understand how Sharknado got to be on that list because that's just bad. It has literally two laughs in it - one scene, and the title. It's no The Room, or Birdemic, or Troll 2. Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus was fun with how terrible it is. Sharknado is just boring. It was painfully engineered for cult approval.

Sharktopus Vs. Whalewolf is a triumph of cinema.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

It's not directly an out and out "action" movie, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for Throne of Blood.  Kurosawa's take on Macbeth in gloriously bloody black and white...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Lone Wolf and Cub 70s film series was pretty good.

The samurai works of Akira Kurosawa (like The Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, or the aforementioned Throne of Blood)

If you looking for a horror-Samurai film, I can recommend Kuroneko (1968)

I've heard good things about LADY SNOWBLOOD (1973) and LADY SNOWBLOOD: LOVE SONG OF VENGEANCE (1974) based of stories from the Lone Wolf creators.

The "Zatoichi" series (1962-1973) is supposed to be pretty good.  There was a blind swordswoman series in response to the Zatoichi series called the "Crimson Bat" (four films 1969-1970). 

The "Nemuri Kyoshiro" series (in the US released as "Sleepy Eyes of Death" series) also has a strong reputation. 

The trailers for "Hanzo the Razor" (3 films, 1972-74) made it seem pretty insane (and definately un-PC), but I've only seen the trailers for it.  Hanzo isn't a samurai, though, but a constable in the Edo period and wields a jutte with a weighted chain for defense.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The restored edition of Metropolis (1928). Last night, I was looking at the selection of my cable's on demand "all free" movies category, not knowing what to expect (having never actually looked before now), and was surprised to see Metropolis sitting in there...so I figured, why not give it a shot?

The following is mostly spoiler-free (except where marked, basically), in case you're planning on ever watching it.

The film was just a few minutes under two and a half hours...felt fairly long, particularly for a silent film. Not truly silent, mind you: the movie had a pretty decent score, which definitely helped maintain my interest. The cityscape imagery - both the artwork meant to look like the city as well as the actual upper world set pieces - was usually pretty cool looking (though those shots were far and few in between the rest of the movie...), and the machinery imagery was pretty neat, too...wasn't as impressed by the lower world and catacombs areas, particularly when...

one of the antagonists of the film just so happened to have a secret passage located right in his home that directly lead to the meeting area of the group of rebellious workers

...a poor choice to make on the part of the filmmakers, among a few others IMO, that gave me immersion whiplash, with the world at any given moment feeling either large and city-like or small and obviously set-piece-like. It is a 1928 movie, though, so I'll cut it a little slack in this regard. :p

Acting had its ups and downs, of course...it's a silent film, so by necessity, lots of acting had a tendency to feel a bit overwrought. It was mostly okay, though...besides, ironically (I think), the two main protagonists as well as a lot of the main antagonist (main by the end of the film, at the very least: it is two and a half hours long, remember). I especially didn't like the job done by the second protagonist we meet when they're...not themselves, I guess you could say (to remain essentially spoiler free). Like other silent films, all the chase scenes looked pretty weird and silly... I also didn't really understand why they didn't slightly tone down some of the acting in favor of more of the neat little text screens...but this all may just be my modern sensibilities talking. :p In regards to the plot and general narrative...it was followable, at the very least, if perhaps a little high-minded for my tastes, especially for how far along the filming industry was in terms of how much money and skill there was to be had in creating filmmakers' visions, in addition to just the general level of film-making technology at the time.

Do I really think it deserves a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average critic review score of 9.1? No, not really. But it is a movie from 1928, and I'm not exactly an enthusiast of that era of film-making, so it's probably best I don't have a say in its rating. :p Overall, I did watch all two and a half hours, and it wasn't actually an all-too-terrible experience, so it couldn't have been that bad, right? ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Was having a discussion about all the MCU movies and how I'd rank them. I had a hard time putting them all in order so I just broke them down into groups

Best: Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Avengers
Good: Captain America, Captain America 2, Avengers 2, Thor
Okay, I guess: Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Was having a discussion about all the MCU movies and how I'd rank them. I had a hard time putting them all in order so I just broke them down into groups

Best: Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man
Okay, I guess: Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Avengers

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Best: Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Avengers

Okay, I guess: Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3

I'd move Cap 2 up into the best category, and IM3 into good. Otherwise about the same as me.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh it's on like Krypton tonight. After Ninja Warrior, I mean.

b623a050-b0ba-4021-a71b-a8275bea9c53_zps

I had the set in the metal tin, but some of the DVDs decayed. Can't watch original superman, no scratches, just stops playing about 40 minutes in. My Lion King did the same thing.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I had the set in the metal tin, but some of the DVDs decayed. Can't watch original superman, no scratches, just stops playing about 40 minutes in. My Lion King did the same thing.

Find a copy of it online, burn it, then scan the original disc cover and lightscribe it on the burned dvd. It's a little work, but hey if you care about the collection it's worth it.

I was thinking of seeing if there was a blu-ray version

Devastatorsig.jpg

Justice League: Gods & Monsters

I heard Bruce Timm was returning to DC animated movies and was producing an alternate universe where Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are willing to kill. How could I not watch it?

Anyway, it was great. I've always wanted more fresh stuff from comic book stories and alternate universes are kind of the compromise they do for guys like me. The art style is very reminiscent of the old Justice League cartoons from early 2000s, too, for anyone suffering from that nostalgia.

Superman is the son of Zod raised by Mexican immigrants, Batman is an actual vampire, and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods. She uses a sword real good.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Justice League: Gods & Monsters

I heard Bruce Timm was returning to DC animated movies and was producing an alternate universe where Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are willing to kill. How could I not watch it?

Anyway, it was great. I've always wanted more fresh stuff from comic book stories and alternate universes are kind of the compromise they do for guys like me. The art style is very reminiscent of the old Justice League cartoons from early 2000s, too, for anyone suffering from that nostalgia.

Superman is the son of Zod raised by Mexican immigrants, Batman is an actual vampire, and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods. She uses a sword real good.

I found it so underwhelming. Compared to the previous DC animated movies that came out it was really disappointing.

Edited by Sarex

"Superman is the son of Zod raised by Mexican immigrants,"

Sounds lame.

"Batman is an actual vampire"

Sounds stupid.

", and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods. "

Sounds okay.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Superman is the son of Zod raised by Mexican immigrants,"

Sounds lame.

"Batman is an actual vampire"

Sounds stupid.

", and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods. "

Sounds okay.

What about Flash, is he just a track runner on meth?

village_idiot.gif