Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

I agree, that movie has a lot of things going for it. I watched it recently and I was laughing at it through most of it, especially how well it parodied the time. The kid was really terrible, though.

You have to admit, Jackson does tend to pick films for the mix of fun he'll have and the steady pay check... ;)

am recalling that Gene Hackman, an academy award winning actor known for his serious roles (save for a tiny bit-part in Young Frankenstein) was asked why he played lex luthor in the 1978 superman movie. were an interview contemporaneous with release o' the film that posed the question.  hackman kinda shrugged and said something to the effect that the film's producers came to his house with a dump truck full o' money... wasn't a hard choice at all. 

HA! Good Fun!

I think Michael Caine's response is still one of the best. He went through that period of showing up in some seriously dire movies, and when asked if he has seen any of them he turned around and did "No. But I have seen the house they let me buy."

That was specifically about that Jaws movie he was in. :lol:

Resident Evil Apocalypse. Been a long time since I laughed so hard watching a film. Gil Valentine (Sienna Guillory) was goddamn hot though.  :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'm not a fan of Salvation. Almost all the John Connor parts felt off somehow.

I would have loved it if they kept the original ending with John Connor dying and them putting his face on Marcus's body and him taking over as leader of the resistance.

Ditto, that's where the film felt it was going and it would have been a nice twist on the "annointed one" storyline that had been running (with Original John Connor essentially so prepped for his "Destiny Moment" he was incapable of being a real leader).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Terminator 5. Fun movie. It is remake that pretends not to be a remake. L0L Lots of laughs too cosnidering it is supposed to be a sci fi thriller. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Age of Ultron - So many millions gone to waste. Better than the transformer sequels, but still kinda in the same vein. Too many characters, too little character development. 5/10

Mad Max - Best action film in years. Fantastic visuals, simple and solid script, good acting - all over a very good film. 8,5/10

It Follows - Loved the creepy retro-atmosphere, I was fully immersed and enjoying the film up until a certain scene I won't spoil. It's an interesting film, but not as good as many reviewers would have you believe. 6/10

Jurrasic World - Decent cinema experience. Didn't like how they used the classic Jurrasic Park theme songs in moments that didn't really evoke any feelings (kind of random complaint, I know). I wish there were more "dinosaur moments", like the one with the triceratop in JP. Also, many of the characters could've used some changes (the bad guy, the rich guy and the brothers comes to mind in particular), but all in all it was better than the trailers suggested. 6/10

Ex Machina - Oscar Isaac is fast becoming one of my favorite actors, and Alicia Wikander is always great (loved her in A Royal Affair). Could definitely see it getting some oscar nominations. 8/10

Also, not a film, but watched a miniseries named Wolf Hall recently. Strongly recommended.

• Like 1

Didn't like how they used the classic Jurrasic Park theme songs in moments that didn't really evoke any feelings (kind of random complaint, I know)..

Not that random, many people have pointed out how weird it is that all the cool dinosaur moments use new music (credit due: said music is quite good, it's just not John Williams) and the iconic original music is used mostly for views of... buildings. I think the thought behind it was to give views of the actual "park" the nostalgic Jurassic Park feeling, to give people the idea that after so many years they finally get to visit it themselves. It worked a little bit, but I would have preferred it if during the climax or even the final shot it would have gotten a  reprise.

• Like 1

Kingsman: The Secret Service.

I loved it, but there's something about it nagging at the back of my head. The scene in the Westboro Baptist Church analogue disturbed me. A brilliant action sequence, but maybe too suggestive of a liberal wank-fantasy about what it would like to see happen to people it loathes.

OTOH maybe I'm reading too much into it.

And, of course, like almost everything British it's actually a film about class.

Oh, and having an environmentalist global-warming worshipper as a totalitarian baddie was inspired, and clearly understands the fundamental truth about too many warmists.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Kingsman: The Secret Service.

I loved it, but there's something about it nagging at the back of my head. The scene in the Westboro Baptist Church analogue disturbed me. A brilliant action sequence, but maybe too suggestive of a liberal wank-fantasy about what it would like to see happen to people it loathes.

OTOH maybe I'm reading too much into it.

And, of course, like almost everything British it's actually a film about class.

Oh, and having an environmentalist global-warming worshipper as a totalitarian baddie was inspired, and clearly understands the fundamental truth about too many warmists.

The special features add a lot of insight to the decisions made. They wanted the villain to be someone that the audience could still sort of cheer for until he hit the point of no return. In the comic he did the test on a mass wedding, and the screenwriter felt that that pushed him a little too far too early, so the WBC type people would be the kind of people no one would really feel bad about getting killed, and their murder's wouldn't really stain Colin Firth's character too much.

The features, like the Kick Ass ones were quite interesting, as for both the comics and the movies were developed semi-independently. Millar worked on the comic while Vaughn and Goldman worked on the script at the same time, but they were both in contact and discussed the directions they were taking with it, which influenced each other's stories. Honestly, I hope those two do that kind of collaboration often, because it works.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

For the news..

Rockne O'Bannon Officially Confirms Farscape

After years of rumours, Rockne O'Bannon has finally confirmed that a Farscape movie is actually happening. The show was cancelled back in 2003 and a mini-series titled Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was aired in 2004 to provide closure to the fans but it appears we shall be getting more Farscape in the near future. Confirmation comes from TV.com's Ed Shrinker who had a friend that attended the Showrunners panel at Wondercon which O'Bannon was apart of. 

Nerdacy.com then spoke to O'Bannon who confirmed that the script is currently being written by a former writer for the series, Justin Monjo.

Just a little bit of, maybe interesting, information to report. ;-p Texting me from WonderCon, a very good friend of mine (@PaulBurrows) just left the Showrunners Panel at [WonderCon]. A panel member, non other than Rockne O'Bannon, the co-creator ofWarehouse 13, Defiance, and Revolution... who was also Farscape's creator and showrunner - has indeed CONFIRMED a Farscape movie is happening.

"Yeah, yeah it's the worst kept secret…We're far from production, but yeah, the first step is Justin [Monjo] working on a script for us. We'll keep our fingers crossed."

Tor.com provided the rumoured plot for the film back in February:

Set to follow the awesome comics written by our favorite Keith R.A. DeCandido, the film would follow John and Aeryn's son, D'Argo (or Little D, as we will always refer to him). Because their baby was exhibiting a set of interesting powers that made him a magnet for galactic villains, we find that John and Aeryn hide their son on Earth to grow up. Now the kid is 19 and ready to go into space with his parents.

There is currently no word whether or not the original cast will return but I don't think they'll be too busy not to join the film.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Saw the new Terminator over the weekend.  I thought it was fun, albeit it had some odd elements implying some editing to the movie. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watched the new Terminator and well, i did kinda enjoy it for the dumb action and the nostalgia. The actors seem to get a lot of **** for their performance but i like them, and of course i like Arnold. But the writing is very mindless, convoluted and illogical with lot of plot holes.

Still i enjoyed it for what it was, but i also didn´t expect anything from it. It would have certainly been a better movie with a more simple story.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Seventh Son.

When your action sequences are more boring than your considerably boring dialogue sequences, a side-character with two scenes has the climatic battle with the villain, and you need subtitles to understand one of your lead actors you know you did something wrong making your movie.

• Like 2

For the news..

Rockne O'Bannon Officially Confirms Farscape

After years of rumours, Rockne O'Bannon has finally confirmed that a Farscape movie is actually happening. The show was cancelled back in 2003 and a mini-series titled Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was aired in 2004 to provide closure to the fans but it appears we shall be getting more Farscape in the near future. Confirmation comes from TV.com's Ed Shrinker who had a friend that attended the Showrunners panel at Wondercon which O'Bannon was apart of. 

Nerdacy.com then spoke to O'Bannon who confirmed that the script is currently being written by a former writer for the series, Justin Monjo.

Just a little bit of, maybe interesting, information to report. ;-p Texting me from WonderCon, a very good friend of mine (@PaulBurrows) just left the Showrunners Panel at [WonderCon]. A panel member, non other than Rockne O'Bannon, the co-creator ofWarehouse 13, Defiance, and Revolution... who was also Farscape's creator and showrunner - has indeed CONFIRMED a Farscape movie is happening.

"Yeah, yeah it's the worst kept secret…We're far from production, but yeah, the first step is Justin [Monjo] working on a script for us. We'll keep our fingers crossed."

Tor.com provided the rumoured plot for the film back in February:

Set to follow the awesome comics written by our favorite Keith R.A. DeCandido, the film would follow John and Aeryn's son, D'Argo (or Little D, as we will always refer to him). Because their baby was exhibiting a set of interesting powers that made him a magnet for galactic villains, we find that John and Aeryn hide their son on Earth to grow up. Now the kid is 19 and ready to go into space with his parents.

There is currently no word whether or not the original cast will return but I don't think they'll be too busy not to join the film.

I'll be in my bunk.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Minions! I love these little guys but a whole movie about them...i don´t know, it was entertaining but slapstick comedy gets old pretty fast when you build a whole movie around it. :x

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Looks friggin' awesome but I do agree IO really hate that they make Batman (including the Comics) into Superman's equal. In fact, from what I recall, Batman tends to 'win' in their confrontations. It is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Not surprising. Of course, still make it an unfair fight. Just makes Batman less interesting when he needs to use the same trick that every human Superman villain does. Make him no different than Lex Luther.