Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

i watched a movie that was said to be critically aclaimed and thinking what it has in common with other critially aclaimed%

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The Ninth Gate 

I haven't seen it since it ran at the cinema. It has actually aged pretty well...and oh:

devil_blood.jpg

NGTPic2.jpg

Ninth-Gate-1999-Emmanuelle-Seigner-pic-1

I happily damn myself to all eternity for that kind of a woman.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

the forum really ruined my last post

im bored to rewrite it so i'll make a summary

profesional movie critics assign 1-5 stars to movies. each star is assigned if the answer to one of the following 5 questions is NO (a 5 star movie has 5 NO)

1. is the plot comprehensible?

2. are the characters' motivations clear?

3. the dialogues make sense?

4. does it have good pacing to keeps you interested?

5. if something isnt clear, can you understand it by watching it again?

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The Ninth Gate 

I haven't seen it since it ran at the cinema. It has actually aged pretty well...and oh:

I happily damn myself to all eternity for that kind of a woman.

IMO one of the hottest women in movie history. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I don't see it at all, really... But then again, I don't see anything in hardly anyone, so my opinion matters very little, I suppose. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Interstellar - It was good, moved along well for a 3 hour movie.  I thought it had a nice mix of science and fantasy.  

Spoiler:  

Not sure if I will be able to look at Matt Damon the same way when he plays The Martian.  He was pretty pitiful.

I don't see it at all, really... But then again, I don't see anything in hardly anyone, so my opinion matters very little, I suppose. :p

That....doesn't sound good either. I pity you :( 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That....doesn't sound good either. I pity you :(

Hey, we can all only cope with life and ourselves as best as we can. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Hooray, maybe a specific gamma-irradiated green-skinned lawyer will finally get her due. 

As has been reported heavily this week, there’s been a restructuring at Marvel Studios, with the company disengaging from Marvel Entertainment and CEO Ike Perlmutter and instead reporting directly to Disney. This is great news for Marvel Studios and president Kevin Feige, who will now have more control over the direction (and finances) of the MCU. But Feige was very close to leaving the studio entirely thanks to problems with Captain America: Civil War.

The shakeup is good news for the future of the MCU, as it’s been widely reported that Perlmutter’s intense oversight and scrutiny of the division has been keeping us from seeing more women and people of color in Marvel films. According to reports, Perlmutter is the reason why Marvel and Disney put out so few Black Widow products for Avengers: Age of Ultron, and may be responsible for why it took Marvel so long to announce a woman-fronted superhero film.
Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Hitman Agent 47

It was surprisingly good for a game-to-movie adaption. As a stand alone action flick I'd rate it. It has some fairly well done characters, a bit of tension, and some nicely choreographed action sequences, plus a couple of small twists just to add to it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This made me want to go hunt up Sky High and re-watch it for the amusement value...

io9 - Sky High Really needs to be a tv show

Last week, Sky High turned ten years old. And rewatching this classic superhero movie only made us appreciate it all over again—and now we’re wondering: Why isn’t this a TV show?

This summer, Disney presented the world with another movie version of “children of heroes go to high school together and also save everyone.” It was Descendants and it ... existed. We’re getting a sequel to that, as well as an animated TV series. But there’s no TV show based on Sky High, which seems like a terrible oversight.

After all, Sky High is everything you could want in an action comedy—the jokes know exactly what about superheroes is ridiculous, the plot is solid enough that the jokes don’t have to carry the whole thing, and the cast handles it all decently. Sky High’s protagonist is Will, the son of two superheroes who’s about to go to a high school for the superpowered. Except that, despite his parentage, Will hasn’t shown any powers. His father is super-strong and his mother can fly, but Will’s got nada.

At Sky High, Will ends up in the “Hero Support” track—for sidekicks—along with his best friend Layla, who controls plants. From there, he deals with failing to live up to his father’s expectations, finally getting his powers and becoming popular overnight, and his father’s old adversary stirring up trouble.

Sky High has a lot of layers, which is part of why it would make for a great TV series.

It’s got a built-in ensemble.

While the movie is largely the story of Will and, to a much lesser extent, Layla, there are a lot of other kids at that school. There’s Warren Peace, the pyrokinetic son of a superhero and a supervillain, who ends up one of Will’s best friends. We only scratch the surface of his family life in the movie, and it’s fertile ground for a series.

There’s also a pack of interesting characters in Will’s sidekick friends: Ethan, who can melt into a liquid; Maj, who can turn into a guinea pig; and Zach, who glows in the dark. The movie gives them each a small moment to shine, but a show could give them a lot more. Plus, a show could develop different reactions to the sidekick/hero divide. Who wants it eradicated? Who’s internalized it? Who doesn’t care? There’s a wealth of possibilities.

I’d also give anything to spend an episode or two seeing things from the teachers’ point of view. Not that the show could necessarily keep most of the original cast from the movie, but the acting power of the teaching staff is strong. Lynda Carter plays Principal Powers, with endless grounds for in-jokes. Bruce Campbell plays Coach Boomer—who’s casually cruel to children, but in a funny way. Dave Foley is Jonathan Boy, who teaches hero support classes. And Kevin McDonald (mini Kids in the Hall reunion!) is Professor Medulla, mad science teacher.

If only there was a way to justify bringing Community’s Jim Rash back as a teacher, rather than as the character he actually played. Then we could have two shows — one about the kids, and one about the teachers.

It’s already set up for TV storytelling.

Even without making up new plots, Sky High has a lot of material already that can be turned into television. One of the biggest plot points is the division between the hero track (the popular kids) and the sidekick track (the weak and nerdy, basically). The resolution of Sky High shows that sidekicks can be every bit as powerful as the heroes and the heroes can very easily let their status make them villains. It’s very neat, but a TV show could really take the allegory to the next level.

After the events of the movie, does the school move to integrate the two? Does it train the former sidekicks better? Is there resistance from parents and alumni? What does Jonathan Boy teach if there is no more sidekick track? Coach Boomer’s going to have trouble adapting, too.

In the movie, Layla is actually extremely powerful. But she’s also a pacifist. There’s another thread that could easily make a whole episode.

And Sky High is already set in a high school. There’s a reason schools work so well in fiction. The target demographic is probably still in school. Their parents probably went to school. The writers, too. There’s a pool of common experience to draw from.

School has also been an easy way to include social messages in stories. Sky High does this by having the heroes be bullies. And by turning the need to please your parents into a story about what happens when your superpowers manifest. And by using the hero/sidekick tracks to exaggerate the way students are divided and divide themselves based on their status at school—while showing just how wrong this is. The rules of high school are just as insane as the rules of superheroing—so it’s a perfect match.

1423293541259977618.gif

And the movie has a lot of threads that it weaves together nearly perfectly. There’s a revenge scheme, there’s friendship torn apart when one person becomes popular, there’s romance, there’s archenemies becoming best friends, and the aforementioned sidekicks/heroes and parental-approval storylines. There’s a lot packed into one movie. In terms of genre, this film covers family drama, romance, comedy, and action. This means a TV show could go to a lot of different places. You can tell all sorts of stories, and the anchor of the school setting will keep it grounded.

1423293541525853074.gif

Jokes. Jokes everywhere.

I’ve saved the most superficial point for last: this movie’s type of comedy is so perfect for a TV show. Professor Medulla’s classes have an endless number of mad-science tropes they could lampoon. The students could play “Save the Citizen” in every episode and it wouldn’t get old. In the movie, Mr. Boy literally writes on a chalkboard “Holy (blank), (blank)man” at one point.

And, for all the time we spend at the school, there are also great jokes to be had in the home. For example, Will’s dad has a trophy room full of things from his most famous battles. Episodes that delved into the home life of superhero families could also be great.

In a way, TV is a better format for really spending time with these jokes. There’s something about a joke that is set up in episode five but doesn’t pay off until episode nine that is especially hilarious. There’s also something about a joke that happens every week, without fail, that is oddly satisfying.

Sky High feels practically made to have a spinoff TV show. So it’s shocking that, ten years later and in the middle of studios turning every superhero property possible into a giant franchise, we’re still yearning for more Sky High. What gives, Disney?

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

i heard of it but i thought it was your average school series about funny everyday events blown out of proprtion by goofy students

-Teknoman2-

More Batman, Less Superman in 'Dawn of Justice'?

With the highly anticipated "Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice" only a few months away from its theatrical release, rumors have been circulating that the higher ups at Warner Bros want to make changes, specifically in terms of showing more of Batman and less of Superman.

Free games updated 3/4/21

More Batman, Less Superman in 'Dawn of Justice'?

With the highly anticipated "Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice" only a few months away from its theatrical release, rumors have been circulating that the higher ups at Warner Bros want to make changes, specifically in terms of showing more of Batman and less of Superman.

If past experience is any indication, whatever changes they make will make the movie worse.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Been wanting to watch Tron Legacy again for a while, finally did it today. Makes me sad they scrapped the sequel in favor of a Tim Burton Dumbo movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Live action movies with CGI animals like this and Life of Pi and others always fall so incredibly flat to me for some reason, and this doesn't look like an exception.

• Like 2

I'm ambivalent.  I've liked some of Disney's live-action reinterpretations and... I've not liked others as much.

Redoing the Jungle Book is kind of weird since there have already been a number of live action versions of it and it doesn't seem to be carrying the music over with it.

That said, this isn't even the first time Disney has done a live action version of it, having adapted it in 1994 (with Jason Scott-Lee as Mowgli and without talking animals) and then with a direct-to-video version in 1998's "The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story" (with Brandon Baker as Mowgli and Brian Doyle-Murray as Baloo1)

1I confess this one factoid peaks my interest just for the oddity of Brian and brother Bill doing the same part 20 years apart.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man