Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

So there are a few rumors around that George Miller has been also offered the director's seat for Dark Universe, a DC film that was previously going to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
Guillermo Del Toro dropped out of the project despite his enthusiasm for it because he decided to do Pacific Rim 2 in the time Warner wanted to do Dark Universe instead.

Dark Universe is going to be an adaptation of DC's Justice League Dark property, featuring John Constantine (Hellblazer), Zatanna, Swamp Thing and Deadman who act as a team to take on the DCU's supernatural threats.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I tried watching the 1942 version of the Jungle Book a few years back with a friend. It was pretty bad. Think we got about halfway through before we turned something else on.

In regards to Disney live-action movies in general...eh. I've seen Cinderella, Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland, and John Carter (...is this even a remake of something?), and only Maleficent was even a quarter way decent. And I really do not like Angelina Jolie (...as an actress - she seems like a swell enough person, from what I've heard), so that's saying something. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

John Carter wasn't a remake. It was the adaption of some of the classic golden age space opera books.  Pretty much the originators of so many sci-fi clichés.

I actually quite liked the film. They hashed up the story a lot, but managed to capture the general feel and atmosphere of it all quite well.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I read the John Carter books after the movie and while I really liked the movie I felt some of the changes they made were unnecessary. Changing the character of John Carter from a southern gentleman to a dour rogue was not a high point, and I preferred Tars Tarkas' character arc in the books much better than the movie. Bringing the villains of the 2nd book over into the first movie felt unnecessary as well. Overall though I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Martian. In my top two for favorite movie of the year and somewhere in my top five Ridley Scott films (along with Kingdom of Heaven, Alien, Blade Runner, and Blackhawk Down).

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Saw the Martian on a date. Had a good time (in spite of spots of cringworthy dialogue every now and again), and from the looks of things so did audiences and critics. Wonder if this is where people say Ridley Scott turned the corner.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Saw a low budget film, a small theatrical release of A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY.  Its an anthology although instead of 5 independent tales, the tales actually all take place in the same town and the characters/story sometimes make reference of each other.  Also the stories unfold together rather than being told to completion before starting the next.

Stories were (and trying to not spoil it):

Three teens sneak into their 'closed for Christmas' Catholic School to investigate a murder of two of their classmates a year ago

A family runs into trouble when they visit an elderly relative and break a prized figurine

An estranged husband and wife try to reconcile over Christmas, but something is causing their son to have bizarre behavior

Santa faces a zombie outbreak among the elves of the North Pole

William Shatner is a DJ working the night shift at the local radio station (and acts as the framing and connective device between all episodes).

In terms of effect, I think the one with the "strange acting son" comes off the best.  There's some effectively creepy images and ideas and while it isn't perfect (one element with the husband/dad is particularly clumsy), I think its the strongest.

The visit one is good when it gets into it but the family is so loathsome to start with its hard to get into.  Once the meat of the story starts, it turns out pretty effective with a nice end (although one pretty telegraphed).

Santa facing the zombie elves is a funny idea and there are some effective zombie fight sequences but feels rather repetitive in the middle.  The movie subtly establishes how it ties in with the other stories, but its easy to miss so may be the best "twist" ending.

The three kids had some effective moments and (outside of Shatner's DJ) possibly the best developed characters, but it also perhaps needed more time to explain.  Unfortunately it has a somewhat repetitive middle once they get trapped in the school and the end while somewhat explained doesn't actually make sense based on the information we have leaving the whole thing somewhat unsatisfying.

That said, I think the movie itself was a lot of fun (plus, Shatner) and worth seeing for fans of low budget horror films.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sounds somewhat similar to Trick 'r Treat, a horror movie set on Halloween with several somewhat connected stories.

Trick_r_treat.jpg

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, actually. I thought it was going to be terrible, but was surprisingly legitimately good.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I've heard good things about Trick 'r Treat.  My brother may have a copy, might see if I can borrow it.

EDIT: Apparently the director of Trick 'r Treat is behind this December's KRAMPUS film (the Krampus plays a small part in A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY as well).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

am likely gonna lose nerd cred, but am admitting that we don't much like thanos.  we don't like that his traditional motivations is equal parts petty (the other kids were mean to him) and ridiculous (he is trying to impress his girlfriend: death).  we also don't like that in the limited screenies so far, thanos looks more like a muppet than one o' the big bads o' the marvel universe.  we don't like his throne

Thanos-Throne-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Br

or his cheesy grin.

we do kinda like purple, but the fact that he is literal aiming to fist the universe makes us roll our eyes.

if you is gonna have an evil purple diva-villain with family issues, then they shoulda gone with prince.

hmtqpy3r6mpr0veqjhug.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Saw The Martian last week. Suffers in being compared to the novel, substantially.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saw The Martian last week. Suffers in being compared to the novel, substantially.

So do you think that it wasn't a good movie in its own right? I thought it was excellent.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

K-19

I'm not a big fan of U-Boat films, but this one is really good.

Whenever watching this movie I ask myself if I'd go into a freaking melting reactor to fix it to save my comrades. Not fixing it would result in certain death, and the death of my comrades. Fixing it would result in certain death from radiation sickness which is a quite horrible way to go.

Heck, I'd probably freeze in panic. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

i was wondering, why all movies come out on thursdays?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So it looks like that Justice League Dark movie is moving ahead with Del Toro acting as a producer, if not directing.

Scott Rudin To Produce “Justice League Dark” With Plans To Shoot In 2016

I'm really excited about this movie. Way more excited about it than most of the other offerings from the DCEU or the MCU, but I feel like I'm the only one.

Everyone else is like "Eh, yeah that sounds nice, I guess."

• Like 1

Well, in general movie related news (technically)

the-rocky-horror-picture-show-reunion_61

EW - Rocky Horror Picture Show Reunion

EW has beat back once more against the current of the pop-cultural timeslip to bring together the casts and creators of some of our favorite films and TV shows. Lest we leave you shivering with antici…pation, one of those is indeed the 1975 phenomenon-in-fishnets, The Rocky Horror Picture ShowThis year is the 40th anniversary of the brilliant and catchy camp-cult musical. Even more impressive is the fact that Rocky Horror has been screening — at midnight matinees and special showings — for all four of those decades, giving it the longest continuous run in theaters in all of cinema history. So to celebrate this milestone — and in conjunction with the release of a special anniversary-edition Blu-ray — Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Patricia Quinn, and Meat Loaf reunited and talked with us about making the film that could never DIE!

Curry reprised his immensely successful stage role as the sweetly transvestite Dr. Frank-N-Furter, the mad scientist who rates “All of the Above” on the Kinsey scale. Quinn and Meat Loaf were also cast in productions of Richard O’Brien’s hit show. “It was really quite a big hit in London,” says Quinn. “I remember Mick ­Jagger came to see us, as did a lot of others.” Those others included other musical royalty. “We went to meet Elvis, who had seen the show,” recalls Meat Loaf, “and he said to me, ‘I hear everyone that has done [Eddie] has only done an impersonation of me and you didn’t do that.’ And I went, ‘No, there’s only one you.’”

The popularity of the show’s L.A. production led to interest in making a film. “I was hoping it was going to be a very commercial Warhol movie,” says Curry, as dry as the set of the quick-and-cheap production wasn’t. “There was no ceiling. It was raining right into the building,” recalls Sarandon, who caught pneumonia during the shoot. “I had to finally ask for something and they got a space heater and put kind of screens around it. And then one day it went up in flames, luckily, with nobody in it and that was the end of that.” 

The film was an immediate flop and then a subsequent legend, as an entire devotedly weird subculture built itself up around its red-lipsticked glory, with the call-and-response fervor of a evangelical church. “Molly Ringwald took me to a screening pretty early on,” says Sarandon. “That was the first time I saw it; I believe it was 8th Street, the whole ritual.”

“There’s something incredibly simple about Rocky Horror Picture Show in terms of its color and props and scenes,” says Bostwick. “And I think that’s what people respond to. That they can be any character in it if they have the balls to stand up and put those costumes on.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."