Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I'm willing to buy your claim about Maze Runner, but saying that about Divergent is simply tipping your hand.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You like the film starring a male but hate the film starring a female. Not surprising. Not surprising at all.

Divergent  > than 99% of comic movies espcially that trashy Avengers series.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I had a riot at the Hobbit. Heart pounded out of my chest during the battle with Galadriel and Elrond and the Nine and Sauron. So much hand-to-hand combat in the rest of the film, too, loved it. Thranduil's elk lifting up four orcs and then he decapitates them all at once. Bolg's death was ultra-satisfying, maybe more than Azog's. Cate Blanchett gets the nod for favorite performance, brief though it was. Totally didn't cry at all when Bard's son slays two orcs, saving his sisters!

All Stop. On Screen.

Already saw Divergent. I did like it a fair bit better than The Hunger Games, but didn't consider it anything special. Still...there's so many of these now that I often hit the "rent" button in spite of myself. Sometimes they have good action bits. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Never bothered to watch it while it was at the cinema and i had completely forgotten that it even existed until today. Pretty good movie, but far from Cameron's greatest. I would rate it below Terminator 2, Aliens and Titanic and put it up with True Lies on the Cameron-scale.

But what i do not get at all is how it is the biggest grossing film ever. Those 3D-effects must've been amazing or something. 

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No.

Never bothered to watch it while it was at the cinema and i had completely forgotten that it even existed until today. Pretty good movie, but far from Cameron's greatest. I would rate it below Terminator 2, Aliens and Titanic and put it up with True Lies on the Cameron-scale.

But what i do not get at all is how it is the biggest grossing film ever. Those 3D-effects must've been amazing or something. 

I actually liked it better on Blu-Ray than in theatres. The 3d was distracting and made things kinda blurry sometimes, the blu-ray was crystal clear. Probably visually the highest quality blu-ray I own.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

No.

I actually liked it better on Blu-Ray than in theatres. The 3d was distracting and made things kinda blurry sometimes, the blu-ray was crystal clear. Probably visually the highest quality blu-ray I own.

Watch 2001.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Already saw Divergent. I did like it a fair bit better than The Hunger Games, but didn't consider it anything special. Still...there's so many of these now that I often hit the "rent" button in spite of myself. Sometimes they have good action bits. :p

I didn't mind it so much but I'm still bother by the poor writing and the fact that nobody thought that having the first 15 minutes or so, be a narration info dump for a system that's pretty self explanatory was a good idea. A waste of screen time in order to quell what I think was the filmmakers' fears that people would be confused.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Bruce Campbell tweeted it, so it must be so. And at the end of 2015, if I didn't like even one of them, I will take Bruce to task.

2015 must see horror films.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/371935-2015-horror-films-must-see/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Divergent > than 99% of comic movies espcially that trashy Avengers series.

No.

Watch 2001.

I'd rather not. Once was enough.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I didn't mind it so much but I'm still bother by the poor writing and the fact that nobody thought that having the first 15 minutes or so, be a narration info dump for a system that's pretty self explanatory was a good idea. A waste of screen time in order to quell what I think was the filmmakers' fears that people would be confused.

Well, it is the same audience that claimed ad nauseum that Inception was hard to understand.

Heh, watched Robin Hood Prince of Thieves via video chat with the girlfriend and her teenage kids.

It's kind of scary to consider I was the age of the youngest when that film came out.

But they'd never seen it (well, they'd seen Men in Tights and hadn't realised so many of the jokes were aimed via Prince of Thieves) and got immensely caught up in it. The joy of Alan Rickman hamming it up so evilly, Michael Wincott as that snivelling Guy, and the "OMG Morgan Freeman is young!" reaction from the audience was all entertaining.

Plus the soundtrack pretty damn nailed it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

To Be Takei.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it was a pretty fun/interesting and occasionally touching bio documentary. He sure does laugh a lot. :)

• Like 1

Watching An Unexpected Journey again, extended, natch. There are so many connections to Battle of Five Armies, this trilogy is glorious. Can't wait for a six-movie 19-hour marathon, hopefully this year. Tolkien, boom! Peter Jackson, double boom!

All Stop. On Screen.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - This was a pretty well done version of Jack Ryan.  I'm not sure that new Captain Kirk has the gravitas to pull off the brainy economist turned action hero like Adam Baldwin and Harrison Ford did, but he wasn't bad, and I thought the story and setting was strong.  The rest of the cast was really good, actually.  Kind of a shame there won't be a sequel, the Jack Ryan franchise plays smarter than most of the other spy thrillers out there.  

Okay...

Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - I liked it but couldn't help but feel that it was a bit of a grab bag. Some things were done very well, others not so much. In particular, I felt that Tauriel and Thranduil's final scene was ultimately clunky; they'd set up this conflict between them and instead of going for understated they go OTT (Tauriel) and on the nose dialogue (Thranduil). Some nice set pieces, but why couldn't they have just resolved the Smaug stuff last film given how little it impacts the story. Pretty sure there are some major cut scenes (at least I hope Beorn just doesn't get relegated to the one scene showing him).

Meet Boston Blackie (1941), Confessions of Boston Blackie (1941), & Alias Boston Blackie (1942) - Chester Morris is affiable enough, but how many times can they do "ex-con accused of complicity in crime he didn't commit has to solve the crime to save himself"?  Three so far...  "Confessions" has a very annoying minor character who seems to exist only to complicate the plot and annoy the audience.  The last one has a clever circus disguise angle.

The Verdict (1946) - Sydney Greenstreet plays a disgraced prosecuter who was responsible for the conviction and hanging of an innocent man.  When another murder happens he and Peter Lorre investigate.  Fun mystery film with a good performance by Greenstreet in particular.

Three Strangers (1946)  Greenstreet and Lorre team up again in a film co-written by John Hughes.  Those two are brought together by Geraldine Fitzgerald to make a wish at an idol on Chinese New Year.  They legend states if three people who are strangers wish for the same thing then it'll be granted by the goddess of luck.  They put their wish on the National race ticket of a down-and-out drunk (Lorre).  Greenstreet a prominant lawyer agrees on a lark.  Fitzgerald, a true believer, wants her husband back.  As each story progresses we see that the initial impression of each character isn't quite what it seems.  The conclusion is unexpected and yet satisfying as well. 

Star of Midnight (1935) - William Powell plays a varation of Nick Charles to Ginger Rogers not quite being Nora.  Fun mystery, some surprising twists.  Dialogue's not as breezy as the Thin Man series, but Rogers keeps things light while Powell swims through alcohol (glass by glass) to solve the mystery.

Fast Company (1938) & Fast and Loose (1939) - Rare book dealer and ameture detective Joel Sloan (Melvyn Douglas, Robert Montgomery) and his wife Garda (Florence Rice, Rosalind Russel) get involved in rare book crimes and murder.  Another THIN MAN-type series, fun enough (although I think the second is superior - the chemistry between Montgomery and Russel plays better).

Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2015) - Not as strong as the first film; this one seems unable to really build the same feeling of creepyness the original had and instead relies on a lot of variable jump scares.  A few bits are good, but mostly an average haunted house film.  The original or The Awakening would be better alternatives, IMO.

The Philadelphia Experiment (1984) - Michael Pare is sent from the past (1940-something) to the future (1984) due to an experiment in radar cloaking.  Nancy Allen befriends him and tries to help him.  But the experiment threatens to destroy the world and the government has to get Pare to go back to save the future.  A fun 80s run-around based on the long running conspiracy theory.  Not terribly ambitious, but its diverting enough with car chases, explosions and 80s style action.  And Pare and Allen are always watchable actors in even the most modest fare.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mr Peabody and Sherman. Another enjoyable entry from Dreamworks. I don't know how well it did but Dreamworks seems to be in the sad boat where all their best movies bomb, while their terrible stuff makes loads of cash.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)

I remember that one. When I was 16 in the mid-80's, it seemed pretty awesome. Not that I thought it was the best even then, but hey, it was sci-fi/fantasy-ish, so I dug it. :lol:

The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)

I remember that one. When I was 16 in the mid-80's, it seemed pretty awesome. Not that I thought it was the best even then, but hey, it was sci-fi/fantasy-ish, so I dug it. laughing.gif

I have a soft spot for it, I admit. Michael Pare. Nancy Allen. WWII Time travel. Car chases. Explosions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man