Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

What's quirky with Alien 4 is that in many ways its prototype Firefly. Just look at the Betty and her crew of grey-traders / mercenaries / scoundrels.

Although Whedon did give the good quote on what they did with his script:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable

But he did aim it to be a touch more tongue-in-cheek and playful with everything, while the Director made everything play it straight (also he was a Frenchman who spoke very little English, and had to have a translator around).

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just saw on the wiki that Weaver and Biehn are in talks to reprise their roles in the new Alien film? Wait, isn't Reese dead? In the films I mean, I know he's in that game. But in the films, he's dead, so if he's in a new one, will it be a flashback or are they going to find some silly reason to say he never died, or maybe he'll be the new android or a clone or...oh I give up. It never makes sense anymore. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Reese was his character in Terminator. In Aliens, he was playing Hicks.

Just for the nitpickey. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Haha! Absolutely correct, brainfart on my part. Reese is how I saw him first...still what comes to mind when I think of Biehn.

Which reminds me, anyone else see him in that movie The Divide? The movie was so so but it's always nice to see him in a role/film that I don't find completely cringeworthy (Yellow Rock and The Victim were...ugh).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Haha! Absolutely correct, brainfart on my part. Reese is how I saw him first...still what comes to mind when I think of Biehn.

Which reminds me, anyone else see him in that movie The Divide? The movie was so so but it's always nice to see him in a role/film that I don't find completely cringeworthy (Yellow Rock and The Victim were...ugh).

I thought he did a good job on Tombstone.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Tombstone was ages ago...somewhat more recently, I also liked him in Planet Terror. Biehn's mostly been doing dvd type movies for a while now however. He has limited range really, but I still like him in certain roles. :)

Anyway, just saw this IGN bit:

Blomkamp's Alien Movie Will Ignore Alien3 and Resurrection

...so if they hold to that, that answers my question. Assuming Biehn even ends up in it. Or Weaver. Dunno if contracts have actually been signed.

I just saw on the wiki that Weaver and Biehn are in talks to reprise their roles in the new Alien film? Wait, isn't Reese dead? In the films I mean, I know he's in that game. But in the films, he's dead, so if he's in a new one, will it be a flashback or are they going to find some silly reason to say he never died, or maybe he'll be the new android or a clone or...oh I give up. It never makes sense anymore. hatnosewj3.gif

As I recall, the proposal for the new Aliens film is a bit of retcon, going back to post Aliens.

RE: Alien 3 - Even though the extended cut is better, its still not a great film IMO. It tries to have the tension of the first film (which is a great idea) but it doesn't manage suspense very well (which I partially blame on the cast being so dwarfed by the setting, unlike the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Nostromo) and just comes off dreary.

Alien: Ressurrection - I actually liked it pretty well other than the end*. I don't find that Jeunet "played it straight" - it plays a lot like some of his other films to me - dark humor, a little weird. Its not quite as out there as as Delecatessen is (and even less so than City of Lost Children) but I can see the connection between those films and Alien 4. The only really duff thing is the end, which just wasn't executed well.

*To be fair, I saw Alien: Ressurrection on a double bill with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and that film would make any other movie look good.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tangled. Pretty good! Thanks to whoever recommended it (TrueNeutral, I think?). Weirdly, I thought it was more consistent in quality than Frozen (there were never really any parts that I really did not care for, unlike Frozen, where there were several), but somehow Frozen still seemed like the superior movie overall. Frozen having stronger music may have played a part in that (with the exception of "Fixer Upper", which I didn't like for several reasons), and a more interesting plot probably didn't hurt, either.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

watched the long "restored" version of Alien 3, and it's such an amazing movie, I can't understand all the hate people have for it.

I think part of it was backlash that Hicks and Bishop died right at the start. It was my close second favourite of the series though.

Umm. I don't want to sound like a **** but isn't he too old for an acton role ?

Just a tad. I didn't feel like it worked in that Cowboy's movie at any rate. But maybe he'll just play the grumpy old retired cop sort of thing. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some other new chr. to go along, as well.

I just saw on the wiki that Weaver and Biehn are in talks to reprise their roles in the new Alien film? Wait, isn't Reese dead? In the films I mean, I know he's in that game. But in the films, he's dead, so if he's in a new one, will it be a flashback or are they going to find some silly reason to say he never died, or maybe he'll be the new android or a clone or...oh I give up. It never makes sense anymore. hatnosewj3.gif

The new Alien movie would be after Aliens and before Alien 3. At this point in time Hicks (not Reese tongue.png) is still alive. Now that sounds like a cheap way of crowbaring the story to fit with the other movies, but honestly, I don't care. I would love it to see Ripley and Hicks again.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Playing It Cool - a cynical man's romantic comedy starring Chris Evans that's very clever, well-acted and has bunch of good actors as side characters. Evans plays a Hollywood screenwriter who is hired to rewrite a terrible romcom script but can't figure out how because he's never actually been in love.

Robocop - The new one. It was not that good. Everything looked cool, but it was just meh.

To me it felt like a superhero origin movie. Not bad, but because of the work it did, the sequel should be better. Then it didn't do well enough for a sequel. Getting the good suit at the end with the name drop of OCP made me really want a sequel.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg