Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Well, whatever it is, it's not horror. Half the shots are someone being dragged, jumped or thrown. That seems like an action movie thing to me. The only thing missing is explosions.

The original film wasn't what I'd call horror either. More like light suspense with a few jump scares. A lot of focus on strength of family etc. It was Steven Spielberg, after all.

Another reboot - although this time I'm at least pleased that they chose a totally different angle for the Zelda Rubinstein role, because you can't try to duplicate Zelda Rubinstein. The clown is nowhere near as creepy looking, imo - it's more like Raggedy Ann.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmAaNk_iIQ

I don't really get an action movie vibe off of it.

It seems to banked on the "relatively safe investment"-account by the board of executives of the studio's 5 year plan. *yawn*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The original film wasn't what I'd call horror either. More like light suspense with a few jump scares. A lot of focus on strength of family etc. It was Steven Spielberg, after all.

Shhh, not so loud. Officially it was Tobe Hooper. Spielberg's contract wouldn't let him direct anything but ET: THE EXTRATERRESTIAL during the time Poltergeist was filming wink.png

I kid - althought that's the conspiracy theory, I've never seen anything legitimate that suggested that Tobe Hooper wasn't the director and Speilberg an involved and creative collaborative producer for Tobe.

Another reboot - although this time I'm at least pleased that they chose a totally different angle for the Zelda Rubinstein role, because you can't try to duplicate Zelda Rubinstein. The clown is nowhere near as creepy looking, imo - it's more like Raggedy Ann.

Which is funny (to me at least) considering that Raggedy Ann was the real Annabelle doll from the Warren's stories that made The Conjuring & Annabelle films but obviously for trademark reasons they couldn't use Raggedy Ann...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's just like your opinion, man!

I loved Garfield as Spider-Man. But I'm one of those freaks who thinks the only thing really wrong with ASM 2 was Green Goblin. If he'd been left out it would have been fantastic.

Garfield and Stone's chemistry was the best thing about the ASM movies. And I agree with you on Green Goblin. Harry's character arc was terrible. His dad lived to a ripe old age with his goblin disease. No need to freak out about dying with years of his research into staying alive.

Its a shame Marvel doesn't have the full rights back. If I were doing it I would have him out himself during Civil War, and presumably die at the end of his first MCU movie. Then do a Miles Morales Spider-Man netflix series, which leads up into the revelation that Pete wasn't dead for the next movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That's just like your opinion, man!

I loved Garfield as Spider-Man. But I'm one of those freaks who thinks the only thing really wrong with ASM 2 was Green Goblin. If he'd been left out it would have been fantastic.

Garfield and Stone's chemistry was the best thing about the ASM movies. And I agree with you on Green Goblin. Harry's character arc was terrible. His dad lived to a ripe old age with his goblin disease. No need to freak out about dying with years of his research into staying alive.

Its a shame Marvel doesn't have the full rights back. If I were doing it I would have him out himself during Civil War, and presumably die at the end of his first MCU movie. Then do a Miles Morales Spider-Man netflix series, which leads up into the revelation that Pete wasn't dead for the next movie.

Better yet, Miles dies and Miguel O'Hara is Spider-Man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have to hold my hand up and admit, I quite liked Ollyphant's Agent 47. It was a fairly decent film adaption. I'd even say one of the best for video game to film. Not that it sets the standard high given most video game to film adaptions....

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

John Wick. It was ok - I was expecting action scenes to be a bit more enthralling but there was something about them that didn't quite work for me most of the time, even tho they were many and fast paced. That said - there were quite a few "funny-violent" moments that made me chuckle, from dialogue exchanges during fights or like when Wick shot some dude hiding behind a column in the foot.

Magically skilled gunman ala The Professional or in Collateral, but not as good as those films. But worth watching if you like such. :)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - wow, I enjoyed a Ben Stiller movie. Like, a lot. It was a wonderfully positive and life-affirming little film with a couple of funny sequences and a nice message that was clichéd yet somehow felt fresh in this cynical world. It made me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

• Like 1

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - wow, I enjoyed a Ben Stiller movie. Like, a lot. It was a wonderfully positive and life-affirming little film with a couple of funny sequences and a nice message that was clichéd yet somehow felt fresh in this cynical world. It made me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

I had a friend who believed he didn't like Ben Stiller movies, then I asked about each of his movie individually. Turns out he does like his movies, I'm only remembering this because it was The Secret Life of Walter Mitty that prompted that conversation.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Episode VI of The Lord of the Rings for Valentine's weekend ... Return of the King. Four hours twenty-three minutes. Totally didn't cry at all when Arwen is revealed at the end, alive and in love with Aragorn. Totally didn't. 

Episode III Battle of the Five Armies comes out March 24. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I had a friend who believed he didn't like Ben Stiller movies, then I asked about each of his movie individually. Turns out he does like his movies, I'm only remembering this because it was The Secret Life of Walter Mitty that prompted that conversation.

I have generally liked movies that he directed, but disliked movies that he was simply starring in.

Looking like it could be.. somewhat entertaining:

http://youtu.be/-x08iNZ8Mfc

Well...I didn't hate it.  Which is encouraging, the original word (before Guy Ritchie became involved) was that it was going to be a serious spy movie which seemed wrong for an UNCLE film.  This seems more like it (although I guess its an UNCLE origin film since Solo is CIA and Kuryakin is KGB).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Fury - I dunno, there were some great action scenes (ending especially), set pieces, characters were consistent, and it's the first time Shia LeGoof didn't annoy the heck out of me, but overall I found my attention wandering at times. Also, I'm no gun expert and I know  tracer fire is a real thing, but all the super thick red and green in a couple brief bits made me think of Star Wars.

So...B+ for effort but C+ for narrative storytelling. Also, for making WWII seem like sci-fi.

Neill Blomkamp to Tackle New 'Alien' Film for Fox

Apparently, the way to convince Fox to make a movie these days is to release concept art or footage online.

Following the studio greenlighting Deadpool following the online leak of director Tim Miller’s test footage for the project, Neill Blomkamp will be making his Alien movie after posting concept art from it on Instagram. The director announced the news this afternoon, fittingly, on Instagram. Accompanying a new image of the iconic xenomorph was the caption “Um… So I think it’s officially my next film. #alien.”

A source confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Blomkamp will work on an Alien script set after the sequel to Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which remains in development. Scott's Scott Free Productions is producing the Blomkamp project. Blomkamp posted artwork from the project online a couple of months ago, describing it as “a mental stroll into the world Ridley Scott created. The caption of the first image he posted, however, suggested that it was a movie that would never happen: “Was working on this. Don’t think I am anymore. Love it though.”

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

So Zack Snyder showed off the first picture of Khal Drogo with a trident. Sorry its so large, I don't know how to resize it in the post.

B-RAWTjCcAAF81b.jpg

He looks cool, but he's not Aquaman. Poseidon maybe, but not Aquaman.

Frankly I find the design 3397026-5778450909-202235.jpeg

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That's supposed to be Aquaman? Are you serious? I mean, I can see updating him so he's not like he was in Superfriends or something, haha, but ... yeah. That's not Aquaman.

What works in comics certainly doesn't always work in movies - Aquaman is such a stupid character on so many levels that I'm surprised they even bothered... and to be honest I think I'll prefer this version over a more canon one.

Fortune favors the bald.