Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

The idea of 4 women GB isn't sexist by itself. It's the likely reasons why there are 4 female GB that make it sexist. It reeks of SJW nonsense.

\For example, when the original GB was created, I doubt the creators sat around and evilly proclaimed' women are horrible and  suck and shouldn't be in the movie simply because they are female'. But, that's exactly how this one likely came about. This film is all about SJW power.

It's too bad too. Because, with the right four women I know I can enjoy  an all female GB. But, the 4 they picked? I have my doubts...

I liked my choices more. Who disagrees that Roseanne isn't a better choice than McCarthy acting wise if you are gonna go  with 'overweight white woman'. I just saw her recently on a tv show and she was as funny as ever. And, she never needed to use her weight as the 'go to' joke either.

". maybe that says something good about her acting too "

\There's good annoying and bad annoying.  McCarthy is bad annoying. I had to stop watching her tv show 3 episodes in despite some decent content because she was simply too annoying. I avoid movies simply because she's in them and the ones she's in that I've watched she drags movies down. One I'd rate an 8 gets a 6 simply because of her on screen prescence. That's awful acting - espicially when she is the protagonist you are supposed to  get behind.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, that's true. The motivation of the casting could have been sexist. That reflects on the producers. I don't think that makes the product sexist by default, especially since that may not be the motivation of the writer or the director or the stars.

But yeah. Rosanne is way better. Another option would be Kathy Kinney.

Nope I don't, I just don't watch SNL or TV for the most part. I suppose that is a requisite thing for someone, to you ? Am rather surprised to see SNL is still a source for humour since I last watched it ~'99 or so, heh.

Also, when did I have a problem with the case being women ? If they chose Samberg or Rogan I'd still be unimpressed (though in that case I am aware those two are not funny).

Ah, wait, McCarthy was in that cop movie, "The Heat", I recall her now.

You are the one who posted you had no idea who any of them were, as if that were a surprising thing.  If you don't watch TV and you don't watch SNL, which is basically the main pipeline for comedic actors to get in movies, then you shouldn't be surprised that you don't recognize them.

Roseanne would be great...if it was 25 years ago.  How about Roseanne, Oprah, Ellen, and Kathy Lee Gifford.

I was adding the gender thing for the other posters who seem to think that is a big deal.   :shrugz:

Careful Hurlshot, your ageism is showing. ;) I actually think an older actress in it would be fascinating. Whether it's a comedian or a serious actress. How about Helen Mirren? That would be awesome.

I dunno where Malc is from, but SNL doesn't mean jack outside of north america. Hell, the only outlet I can even watch it is YouTube clips. Everything else, even paid streaming services, don't offer it here.

The reboot conundrum again...don't think I'm familiar with any of those women either, not that it matters since while I liked Ghostbusters at the time, I'm not eager to rewatch the original, let alone a remake. But nothing wrong with shaking up the casting if you're going to reboot. Don't see the issue there.

My apathy regarding reboots has nothing to do with cast decisions or even the reboot/remake concept itself (they've been doing that forever after all). It's how bloody common/frequent it's become. A reboot/new version of a popular film now and then is fine, great sometimes even, but I'd rather more often see something that feels at least somewhat original than something that is relying on a nostalgia memory of a name/brand to sell itself. It's tiresome and non-creative, is all. And the more people pay to see them, the more likely it is that's what they'll keep on making until there's hardly anything else to choose from. Ok, that last part is hyperbole, but it sure feels like it at times.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In other film news: I saw the documentary "Terror at the Mall" about the Westgate mall attack. I can't speak to the obvious "authorities were mostly terrible/ineffective" slant the doc. emphasizes, but the documentary, with it's use of almost nothing but mall security footage/interviews with those in the videos and occasionally an on-site journal photographer's rapid fire photos (stitched together to make jerky motion pictures, I gather) certainly make for a harrowing account of the situation, from several perspectives.

It's one that will stick with me a while I imagine.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nope I don't, I just don't watch SNL or TV for the most part. I suppose that is a requisite thing for someone, to you ? Am rather surprised to see SNL is still a source for humour since I last watched it ~'99 or so, heh.

Also, when did I have a problem with the case being women ? If they chose Samberg or Rogan I'd still be unimpressed (though in that case I am aware those two are not funny).

Ah, wait, McCarthy was in that cop movie, "The Heat", I recall her now.

You are the one who posted you had no idea who any of them were, as if that were a surprising thing. If you don't watch TV and you don't watch SNL, which is basically the main pipeline for comedic actors to get in movies, then you shouldn't be surprised that you don't recognize them.

Roseanne would be great...if it was 25 years ago. How about Roseanne, Oprah, Ellen, and Kathy Lee Gifford.

I was adding the gender thing for the other posters who seem to think that is a big deal. :shrugz:

It wasn't intended to be a surprise, just the fact of the matter actually. SNL being funny must be a new thing, spawned Fallon and Meyers after all.

The all women cast does seem like a shameless PR thing though. Plenty of people loving this just fof that, an article calling this important is my favorite.

Also no Canadian is all that funny.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

SNL is inconsistent, but it still launches a ton of talent. I would say the cast is pretty strong this year. The best way to watch it is just catch a few clips on hulu that look entertaining.

Edited by Hurlshot

SNL has been "inconsistent" for decades. It's just the nature of comedy skit shows.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever seen MacGruber sober. Worth it?

It depends on your sense of humor. I loved every second of it. It was ridiculous. But I am sure there are people here too refined for such things, and they probably will roll their eyes over it.

• Like 2

*rolls her eyes* ;)

...it's odd because some of that type of humor I can find very funny, but often I'll just sit and stare at the screen yawning. I guess like with all humor it's mostly whether or not I can relate to what the jokes are referencing, and often I don't. Or it's a matter that what I find funny in a 1 minute short form grows tiresome in movie-length form.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen MacGruber sober. Worth it?

It depends on your sense of humor. I loved every second of it. It was ridiculous. But I am sure there are people here too refined for such things, and they probably will roll their eyes over it.

Inebriated me thought the movie was brilliant. Do I want to chance ruining that memory? Granted I don't actually remember if he ended up blowing himself up to bits....

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm always watching live on Saturday night. Well, previously recorded from a live broadcast. Kate's great, Cecily might be their best talent alongside Taran Killam. Moynihan is really funny though, too ... Drunk Uncle, jesus christ. People who say the show is inconsistent don't watch it. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm always watching live on Saturday night. Well, previously recorded from a live broadcast. Kate's great, Cecily might be their best talent alongside Taran Killam. Moynihan is really funny though, too ... Drunk Uncle, jesus christ. People who say the show is inconsistent don't watch it. 

I watched occasionally in the 80's, occasionally in the 90's, occasionally in the 2000's....you get the idea. Usually there's some momentary period with a certain regular skit that I like, or it's because I like the host, or whatever. Oh yeah, and in the 80's, I often tuned in for the music acts. The past 5+  years I've rarely tuned in tho, just not that into the show overall anymore, so not familiar with anyone recent.

It's consistent at being inconsistent, whether you watch it regularly or semi-regularly, because people tend to find that certain periods/alums suit their personal tastes more than other periods/alums. Such is comedy. :D

• Like 1

Fair enough, she grates on my nerves something fierce but it's not like my opinion is law.

On another note, anyone see that Fantastic Four trailer yet? Bunch of shots of actors just sitting or standing or looking at something set to epic music and dramatic yet entirely generic voice over. I thought it was bloody hilarious. It's like they didn't have enough interesting material to make a trailer with and just gave up.

A lot of people figured they just copied the Interstellar trailer because they were trying to give off an exploration vibe. My opinion is the same as before, bad cast, and the filmmakers don't "get" Fantastic Four. Especially after the director said his inspiration for the style was David Cronenberg. Only opinion that changed was I dont think Miles Teller was bad casting anymore, he actually looks pretty good.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

22 Jump Street - I laughed a lot and thought it was better than the first one

Edit - Also tried watching John Wick but the wife lost it when 

the puppy got killed

and I had to turn it off

No, that did not happen, I haven't seen the movie and now I'm never going to, dammit. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yet you can watch a billion humans die in movies. L0L

You guys do realize that a) the entire premise of the movie is that death right? and b) it's not REALLY dead in real life.

I never get the whining and crying and evilness of such reactions.

Who cares if a man is raped and killed at the same time. That is shruig worthy. But, that happens OMG THAT IS SO WRONG AND THE CREATORS ARE EVIL.

Pathetic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.