Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I still think Keanu is a very limited actor, and I hope he never does Shakespeare again. What I do think is that he's very aware of his limitations by now and (usually) picks films that suit his abilities.

Walk Among the Tombstones - did I mention this one yet?

I was expecting something like Taken and the first 5 minutes gives you that impression. Then it slows down to this snail pace of a mystery-serial murder-thriller. Not like Taken. Liam's still in that tough-guy, walk w/an attitude mode, but the film is more deliberate and moody. Wasn't great, wasn't bad.

I imagine that you're going by "Much Ado about Nothing" but I heard that the reviews for him playing Hamlet in theater were good. I vaguely recall some critic saying that Keanu is Hamlet.

Walk Among the Tombstones has all the hallmarks of a crime book adaptation, except this wasn't one of the best books. Good movie though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh god, Seagal. I remember when I saw Above the Law, and thought that was all right for a low budget action flick, so watched a few others as they came. Then Under Siege and Seagal seemed awesome for the type, a new action star. Then there was that environmental action that he directed. Alright then. He's been really downhill ever since. The guy seems a bit off, too.

I do wish Neeson would get a decent TV series or something else beside Taken-mode. I mean, he's always sorta like that, the serious kick-butt guy, but at least something like Rob Roy was a grand drama format for that type of chr. If he's not careful he's going to end up like Cage ... where you see a Neeson movie for the lulz.

Edit: Oh and like I said earlier somewhere, I do like Keanu now. In action movies at least. I still can't listen to his line delivery when he's trying to be non-action serious without a slight chuckle, tho. It's like he has no vocal inflection, very monotone.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh god, Seagal. I remember when I saw Above the Law, and thought that was all right for a low budget action flick, so watched a few others as they came. Then Under Siege and Seagal seemed awesome for the type, a new action star. Then there was that environmental action that he directed. Alright then. He's been really downhill ever since. The guy seems a bit off, too.

I do wish Neeson would get a decent TV series or something else beside Taken-mode. I mean, he's always sorta like that, the serious kick-butt guy, but at least something like Rob Roy was a grand drama format for that type of chr. If he's not careful he's going to end up like Cage ... where you see a Neeson movie for the lulz.

Edit: Oh and like I said earlier somewhere, I do like Keanu now. In action movies at least. I still can't listen to his line delivery when he's trying to be non-action serious without a slight chuckle, tho. It's like he has no vocal inflection, very monotone.

I also like him on romantic comedies, granted his counterparts carry the dynamic more but he seems to have good chemistry with a lot of women. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I just imagined Seagal in a romantic comedy

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I just imagined Seagal in a romantic comedy

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Heh, that didn't take long..

io9 - First Hobbit Fan Edit cuts Trilogy in Half

Well, this was inevitable. A Tolkien fan — less enthused by Peter Jackson's expansive, three-movie adaptation of The Hobbit than others — has created his own edit of the trilogy, trimming the 9+ hour-long saga into a much trimmer four hours and 21 minutes. Check it out!

Created by the quite succinctly named "TolkienEditor" and dubbed "The Tolkien Edit," here's some of what he/she dropped from this slim-downed version:

The investigation of Dol Guldor has been completely excised, including the appearances of Radagast, Saruman and Galadriel. ... Like the novel, Gandalf abruptly disappears on the borders of Mirkwood, and then reappears at the siege of the Lonely Mountain with tidings of an orc army.

• The Tauriel-Legolas-Kili love triangle has also been removed. Indeed, Tauriel is no longer a character in the film, and Legolas only gets a brief cameo during the Mirkwood arrest.

• The prelude with old Bilbo is gone. As with the novel, I find the film works better if the scope starts out small (in a cosy hobbit hole), and then grows organically as Bilbo ventures out into the big, scary world.

Several of the orc skirmishes have been cut. I felt that the Battle of the Five Armies provided more than enough orc mayhem. If you pack in too much before then, they just become monotonous, and it lessons their menace in the audience's mind.

• A lot of filler scenes have been cut as well. These are usually harder to spot (and I've probably missed a couple), but once they're gone, you'll completely forget that they ever existed. For example, the 4-minute scene where Bard buys some fish and the dwarves gather up his pay.

Works for me! Actually, I bet like another enterprising fan editor can get the trilogy down into a single, three-hour, perfectly watchable movie, but this seems like a noble start. You can get more details — and watch the Tolkien Edit itself — at TolkienEditor's site here.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Jodorowsky's Dune. Documentary about the extensive pre-production and eventual rejection of Alejandro Jodorowsky's adaption of Dune, and its lasting effect on Hollywood. I really enjoyed it. Not quite as good as Empire of Dreams, but still a good watch. Jodorowski's passion is evident and its amazing to think that without him collecting his "spiritual warriors" we never would have gotten Alien.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Heh, that didn't take long..

io9 - First Hobbit Fan Edit cuts Trilogy in Half

Well, this was inevitable. A Tolkien fan — less enthused by Peter Jackson's expansive, three-movie adaptation of The Hobbit than others — has created his own edit of the trilogy, trimming the 9+ hour-long saga into a much trimmer four hours and 21 minutes. Check it out!

Created by the quite succinctly named "TolkienEditor" and dubbed "The Tolkien Edit," here's some of what he/she dropped from this slim-downed version:

The investigation of Dol Guldor has been completely excised, including the appearances of Radagast, Saruman and Galadriel. ... Like the novel, Gandalf abruptly disappears on the borders of Mirkwood, and then reappears at the siege of the Lonely Mountain with tidings of an orc army.

• The Tauriel-Legolas-Kili love triangle has also been removed. Indeed, Tauriel is no longer a character in the film, and Legolas only gets a brief cameo during the Mirkwood arrest.

• The prelude with old Bilbo is gone. As with the novel, I find the film works better if the scope starts out small (in a cosy hobbit hole), and then grows organically as Bilbo ventures out into the big, scary world.

Several of the orc skirmishes have been cut. I felt that the Battle of the Five Armies provided more than enough orc mayhem. If you pack in too much before then, they just become monotonous, and it lessons their menace in the audience's mind.

• A lot of filler scenes have been cut as well. These are usually harder to spot (and I've probably missed a couple), but once they're gone, you'll completely forget that they ever existed. For example, the 4-minute scene where Bard buys some fish and the dwarves gather up his pay.

Works for me! Actually, I bet like another enterprising fan editor can get the trilogy down into a single, three-hour, perfectly watchable movie, but this seems like a noble start. You can get more details — and watch the Tolkien Edit itself — at TolkienEditor's site here.

I wonder if it counts as piracy... regardless, I downloaded it - I saw all three Hobbit films in theaters and own the DVDs that have come out thus far and bought some merchandise (posters) so I think I support the artists - and am watching it now. Couple of odd glitchy moments where people refer to things that sound ominous, couple of weird shots (who is that female elf fleeing along with the dwarves in lake town!? she's not appeared at all! wait, why is Smaug made of gold now?!) but overall, it's a MUCH better experience.

^The standard EU law should be that if you own the originals on DVD/BluRay, it should not count as piracy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Re-watched Under Siege, I forgot how f'ing awful that movie is. Tommy Lee Jones was the only good thing. Seagal seems to be on tranquilizers, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^The standard EU law should be that if you own the originals on DVD/BluRay, it should not count as piracy.

Well, if we want to be specific, this is a derivative work based on those originals. It can't really be piracy - but since it's still so close, I find it morally close enough to it for me to be concerned. If we think about breaking the law, this guy offering his derivative work up is definitely copyright infringement but that doesn't reflect on me.

Re-watched Under Siege, I forgot how f'ing awful that movie is. Tommy Lee Jones was the only good thing. Seagal seems to be on tranquilizers, heh.

"I'm the cook"'

Now that just makes me laugh.

• Like 2

village_idiot.gif

"I'm the cook"'

Now that just makes me laugh.

You two seem to have forgotten about the birthday cake. dancing.gif

Meh, just a pair of breasts, big deal. :p The Missouri's main guns firing was pretty good.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wish I Was Here, Zach Braff's crowd-funded spiritual successor to his succesful arthouse film The Garden State. A lot of it was a retread of that movie, but not bad. If you liked The Garden State, you will probably like this. If you thought it was a pretentious piece of garbage, then you'll feel the same way about this one.

Citizen Four

6/10

If you already know Snowden's story you're not going to learn much, if anything, from this film. It's mostly a film showing Snowden locked up in his hotel room in Hong Kong, and part of the conversation had by him and the reporters he first went to over that first week or so. If that interests you, then I recommend this film. If you are of the mind that Snowden is a bad guy, I recommend this film.

Caught "Grand Budapest Hotel" on HBO. Not usually my kind of film, but Ralph Fiennes was hilarious, and all the famous people in small roles were excellent/great fun. I wish Jeff Goldblum would do something "bigger" again (I know he's done some stuff and tv series but you know what I mean).

Fiennes needs to do more comedy like Grand Budapest or In Bruges. He's hysterical. What do you call that type of comedy, anyway? Satirical deadpan?

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think that's a pretty fair description - and agreed, he is really good in the movie. In general I find Wes Anderson always makes the best of his actors, he just have some favorites with a rather limited potential (imho), like Schwarztman and the Wilson brothers. 

Fortune favors the bald.

Eraserhead (1977)

*sigh*/10

Is this movie supposed to be disturbing? thought-provoking? All i was left doing was either almost screaming at the screen "Do something!!!", laugh at it or just having a frowned face. Great special effects and cinematography though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy