Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

^^ With Ethan Hawke? I kinda liked that one - nice amount of suspenseful buildup vs. just a slasher.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

John Wick, the best shot 'em up action flick to come out in the last decade.

There are still two more years to go before Shot them Up ages a decade.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Taken > Shoot 'em Up > John Wick

Haven't seen Shoot 'em up, and I'm skeptical that a movie starring Clive Owen would be better than John Wick, as even though John Wick isn't the greatest movie ever (it is a better than good action flick) it's better than every movie I've ever seen with Clive Owen in it of any genre. And Taken really isn't just an action flick, though I'd rate John Wick higher as a movie overall even though it's lighter on plot.

The last decade really hasn't had much good in the way of action flicks. Then again, the last decade hasn't had much good in the way of any genre of flicks. More good movies came out in almost any given year of probably from around 1930 to sometime in the late 1990s, than we've seen in the entire last decade.

Edited by Valsuelm

^^ With Ethan Hawke? I kinda liked that one - nice amount of suspenseful buildup vs. just a slasher.

That's the one. Not an amazing horror movie (some of the leads' decisions had me frustrated at its obvious horror movie dumbness) but it was very good at maintaining suspense (and a handful of actually good jumpscares) and the director knew his way around non-gory horror imagery very well. That kid coming out of the box scared the bejeesus out of me. A lot of it got under my skin and I definitely recommend it, though if someone were to check out the trailer to see if they would like it they might as well skip the film since it spoils the entire thing. It was also neat to find a "found footage" film that was literally about a character finding and watching footage that he found. No first person nonsense.

Taken was pretty cool, true, but Keanu > Neeson. definitely looking forward to watching John Wick 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm kind of torn between Keanu and current Neeson. I think Neeson's "mr serious-angry" routine makes me laugh more, but Keanu tends to be "cooler." I can't believe I said that about Keanu. He's really grown on me over the years, since the days of his Bill and Ted times. Neeson could, if given a chance, still act rings around Keanu tho.

I watched a little film called Small Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2310109/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

Christopher Meloni (L&O:SUV), Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) and a kid who was familiar but I had to look him up to realize I'd seen him in The 100.

I liked the film, was in the mood for it. Starts off mostly low key comedy and gets a little maudlin at the end, but was charming and enjoyable for what it is. Dean Norris is hilarious/great. The early awkward scenes of the son trying to figure out how to be a salesman ... that was so me during this teen-job I had, once. lol.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know, while I could agree on Neeson's acting ability, Keanu is just a cooler guy overall, at least his public persona is. And when I like some actor/actress, for one reason or another, I tend to pay more attention to his/her good moments, and less - to his/her worse ones. 

For example, I really like Jessica Chastain. I think she's amazing in all her roles. But I also have a soft spot for Genesis Rodriguez. So, if I watched a movie with Chastain I'd enjoy her acting, but I would've enjoyed the mere presence of Rodriguez on screen, even in a minor role with no lines, equally as much.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF PUSS IN BOOTS"

Well that brings back a ****load of memories of when I was young and had hair.

Yeah, I last (and first) saw it in probably Christmas 1979 or Christmas 1980. So nostalgia all over.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You know, while I could agree on Neeson's acting ability, Keanu is just a cooler guy overall, at least his public persona is. And when I like some actor/actress, for one reason or another, I tend to pay more attention to his/her good moments, and less - to his/her worse ones.

Only thing I know about Keanu outside of his film roles is a few interviews and that sad-Keanu meme. :lol: I've liked Liam since Darkman. The best short bit I saw Neeson in was that episode of Life's Too Short a few years ago. That was hilarious.

I do know what you mean tho...I can get that way about some actors I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lldrizLu_d8

• Like 3

Only thing I know about Keanu outside of his film roles is a few interviews and that sad-Keanu meme. :lol:

really? let's remedy that

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/cb8uo/keanu_more_sadness_in_comments/

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

Scored all seven X-Men movies for thirty bucks over the holiday. Haven't seen First Class or Wolverine Origins or Wolverine or Days of Future Past yet, but the first three take a concerted fan-effort to enjoy. Kevin Feige was producer for those, and it feels like this is where he learned how not to make bad Avengers films.

Logan has been cool so far, but Kitty Pryde, ever so briefly in Last Stand, really stood out. I was like, wait, I think that's Ellen Page.  

X-Men was decent, X-Men 2 was good, 3 was bleh. You can skip Origins, its just plain bad, but The Wolverine is probably almost on par with X2. First Class and Days of Future Past are the best ones.

Somehow I missed this, exactly correct assessment. I thoroughly enjoyed Logan's Japan adventure, and you're right, First Class and Days are worth re-watching. The confluence of Xavier and Magneto as both older and younger was fantastic, and I almost totally didn't cry when Logan sees Jean's red hair in the doorway ... 

All Stop. On Screen.

Christmas Eve tradition of The Hogfather. I really enjoy it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hobbit, battle of the five armies. 

Not bad, not good either, mediocre. Too much fighting for my taste, also the moronic tactics and the lack thereof in the big battle made me cringe. The overly long epic fairy tale duels between the bad guys and the main characters bore the hell out of me. Though I was really surprised they had the guts to kill off main characters.  

Also what annoyed me to no end was the armies being completely oblivious about each other, big Ork and Dwarven armies appearing out of nowhere even surprising the oh so sophisticated elves. I wonder, don't they have scouts, spies, intelligence?

Oh, and the eagles. THE GODDAMN EAGLES.

But nice visuals and good acting made it watchable. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The Drop

Oh boy, y'all need to see this movie. You will be surprised, you won't be disappointed. This isn't your average mobster flick. 

Walsingham said:

Some day I'll watch all six extended edition movies in one long marathon.

I haven't even made it through the 3 LoTR extended in one long session. Two at once, but not all three. :)

Saw the new Hobbit movie. It was good but for some reason the Hobbit movies haven't captivated me like the LotR movies. I don't even have the sound tracks for the Hobbit movies. The LotR I have all of the special releases of the soundtracks. The Hobbit scores are just ho hum. Well back to the movie. Nice to see a dwarven army in action. Have to wonder why the Thorin and his twits took theirs off before engaging in battle. Nice to see Galadriel actually wielding some great magical power when she went against the enemy. Too bad she never displayed anything like that in the LotR films. I like battles like the next person but I really dislike the stupid super power moves of some characters... ummmm Legolas.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think the obvious problem of the Hobbit movies isn't that they stretched one book to three movies, it's that they filmed two movies and stretched those two into three movies. The structure doesn't work. Every movie ends and starts at weird places, like it was just randomly cut. It's obvious that it was written and filmed to a movie of the journey (Misty Mountains, Mirkwood) and a movie of the mountain (Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies). Still, while the other movies had lots of bloat, this one was missing things. Why did the first movie give us 10 minutes of Radagast healing a hedgehog but this movie only has 30 seconds of Beorn and Legolas steals his big moment?

• Like 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Aside from completely screwing up their origins and connection to April, it wasn't bad at all.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg