Are they even listening to our feedback?

ctn2003

Flat out lie. People have givenlegit reasons why  they prefer 'combat xp'.  Don't make stuff up as it just embarasses you,

Really?  Funny in reading all these threads I never saw it. 

PS: I put emphasis on the part both of you didn't quote.  That being "Until someone has some GOOD answers for..."

Also Razsius you realize that Baldur's Gate only "wowed" you because it was new right?  Even if they copied everything perfectly, fixed only the things you think are issues, and put it in a new world with new story.... it would still have been unlikely to impress you as much as BG because no matter how you slice it the game wouldn't be a new experience.  Just the story.  If the story alone is enough to wow you the mechanics around it being different shouldn't be that soul crushing.

I do wish we'd have the ability to ignore people on this board. Some of them, who I won't name, but whose name starts with 'H' and ends with 'elm', would find themselves on that list because of their incessant ranting on the same damn issue in every damn single thread.

At this point, I'd look more forward to be doing tech support for old people than I am looking forward to participate to discussions in this forum because I know it's going to be crapped all over by a real world hater-version of this guy.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 4

I do wish we'd have the ability to ignore people on this board. Some of them, who I won't name, but whose name starts with 'H' and ends with 'elm', would find themselves on that list because of their incessant ranting on the same damn issue in every damn single thread.

Click on your name in the upper left corner, click on My Settings, then Ignore Preferences.

• Like 3

Click on your name in the upper left corner, click on My Settings, then Ignore Preferences.

Thanks! Finally! :D

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

RE the KS Goals for Pillars of Eternity and fidelity to the original KS goals: +1 

As I said before, it doesn't matter if they are technically right, it won't do them any good, they rode the "hype train", when/if it crashes they are going to go with it. They simply didn't do enough to clear the waters and that is squarely on them.

Simple fact is they had a slam dunk on their hands, all they had to do was make a copy of the IE games with a new story/setting and improve some minor things that bugged people and maybe add some more features if they had the time. They instead chose to "fix" core systems of the IE game and remove some altogether.

They took a gamble and if it doesn't pay off it's sadly all on them.

100% agree.

I am currently very, very, VERY unhappy with the "fix core systems of IE game" approach so far.

I have waited 15 years to play another IE game.

• Like 5

RE the KS Goals for Pillars of Eternity and fidelity to the original KS goals: +1 

As I said before, it doesn't matter if they are technically right, it won't do them any good, they rode the "hype train", when/if it crashes they are going to go with it. They simply didn't do enough to clear the waters and that is squarely on them.

Simple fact is they had a slam dunk on their hands, all they had to do was make a copy of the IE games with a new story/setting and improve some minor things that bugged people and maybe add some more features if they had the time. They instead chose to "fix" core systems of the IE game and remove some altogether.

100% agree.

I am currently very, very, VERY unhappy with the "fix core systems of IE game" approach so far.

Something wrong with Enhanced Editions? I have certainly had loads of fun playing those after not playing any IE games for 10 years. 

Edited by archangel979

100% agree.

I also agree. I have no idea why Obsidian kickstarted a spiritual successor to the IE games although they think that the core mechanics of those games are terrible and therefore need to be fixed.

The backers liked the IE games as they were, all Obsidian needed to do was replace the AD&D system with something else (with something at least as good) and everyone would have been happy.

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

"No its correct what I stated, read the small print in the kickstarter rules. This is a investment, not buying a final product. You invest into a company, into their vision."

HAHAHA! That's now this works. You promise x and return for money you better deliver x. if you don't intentionally that's fraud. Kickstarter rules do not trump the law. Small print, btw, has been thrown out of court so many times it's ridiciculous that in 2014 that ignorants still think  that it trumps the law. It doesn't.

"Really?  Funny in reading all these threads I never saw it. 

PS: I put emphasis on the part both of you didn't quote.  That being "Until someone has some GOOD answers for...""

HAHAHAHAHA! I haven't heard one GOOD answer for why quest xp is better when it isn't - espicially how it's done in PE. Ogre is worth xp but the spider queen isn't even thoguh she is more of a challenge. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

HAHAHAHAHA! I haven't heard one GOOD answer for why quest xp is better when it isn't - espicially how it's done in PE. Ogre is worth xp but the spider queen isn't even thoguh she is more of a challenge. LMAO

You clearly don't get it.  You don't have to argue for the system that is in place.  When you want to replace it you have to argue for why what you want to replace it with is better than what currently exists.  Problems with quest only exp are unimportant, because you aren't trying to sell Obsidian on quest EXP.  You don't sell someone something by convincing them what they have is bad, you do it by convincing them that what you are offering is better.

That is something none of you have done, not in this thread, not in the original thread, not in any of the god knows how many threads this has come up in.

• Like 5

I liked the IE games the way they were, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want mechanical progression in future sequels, be they direct or spiritual. People seem to forget that there were plenty of differences between the various IE games.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

This game delivers on most counts. It seems some people are bitching because the difficulty needs to be tuned and at present you cant just zerg through. People are used to casting haste, selecting all, clicking on enemies and sipping their coffee while playing the IE games.

Once they tune the health:stamina ratios, alter enemy ai, add in a full talent/item/crafting list, and so on, then they will probably find a way to zerg thru trash. At that point, it will feel like IE again to some folks when on Easy difficulty and less people will whine.

They were, but I do not think a successor ought to replicate their flaws. "Liked them as they were" to me implies something like "don't change anything." I vehemently disagree with that.

No one is saying that. However if the pitch was "Hey we're going to do an AD&D 2E game" I would be like

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

• Like 4

This game delivers on most counts. It seems some people are bitching because the difficulty needs to be tuned and at present you cant just zerg through. People are used to casting haste, selecting all, clicking on enemies and sipping their coffee while playing the IE games.

I only memorized 1 or 2 hastes, really not necessary, but maybe more so with tactics mods.

ATM I'm actually finding the combat too easy now after learning the system a bit better, and the encounters are mostly pretty banal. High DT Low Deflection / High DT High HP High Damage, barely any ranged enemies, enemies with AoEs or stuff.

The beetle creature design is more boring than the IWD boring (hah) and bombardier beetles

Wolves are less interesting than the BG Wolf, Dread Wolf, Dire Wolf and Vampiric Wolf types.

Edited by Sensuki