Are they even listening to our feedback?

ctn2003

Given enough healing potions ... I can't even buy enough healing potions. The Vale of Shadows, or whatever, at the beginning of IWD, literally has platoons of undead: skeletons, ghasts, ghouls, mummies, bone guardians ... and only one or two Cure Light Wounds potions per dungeon. My low-level four-person party--really two and a half, with a mage and thief in tow--is up to their necks in survival combat. Rest healing after clearing a dungeon is the only way, that I know of. It is really strange to see the time stamp: You Have Rested 35 Days, 16 Hours

I hope you read the Kickstarter pitch carefully, their influence for encounters and combat space was IWD not BG1/BG2.

People keep on comparing PoE to BG1/BG2 combat-space-wise, when they really should take a good long look at IWD instead...

IWD does not have overland trash encounters. Only BG games do. So they cannot use IWD as influence for all encounters.

I can go through a dungeon level or two without resting in those games, so either way - something is still off.

Aye. Combat in IWD was a constant flood of "ohgodohgodgonnadiegonnaoooof made it through okay. Next area."

And I hope they don't ignore the BG approach entirely, because the sheer unfairness and chaos of its high level fights was wonderful.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Given enough healing potions ... I can't even buy enough healing potions. The Vale of Shadows, or whatever, at the beginning of IWD, literally has platoons of undead: skeletons, ghasts, ghouls, mummies, bone guardians ... and only one or two Cure Light Wounds potions per dungeon. My low-level four-person party--really two and a half, with a mage and thief in tow--is up to their necks in survival combat. Rest healing after clearing a dungeon is the only way, that I know of. It is really strange to see the time stamp: You Have Rested 35 Days, 16 Hours

I hope you read the Kickstarter pitch carefully, their influence for encounters and combat space was IWD not BG1/BG2.

People keep on comparing PoE to BG1/BG2 combat-space-wise, when they really should take a good long look at IWD instead...

IWD does not have overland trash encounters. Only BG games do. So they cannot use IWD as influence for all encounters.

Obsidian never said anything about having trash encounters anywhere as far as I know...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

If you read kickstarter page it says they want combat have same intensity that IWD has, but they want take exploration from BG, which means that trash encounters are more than likely, as exploration in BG style needs maps to have encounters to give feeling of danger which makes exploration feel more interesting. And tying these encounters to quest or task has high change to make maps railroading player which would remove that exploration aspect from the game.

• Like 1

as exploration in BG style needs maps to have encounters to give feeling of danger which makes exploration feel more interesting.

I disagree. BG Exploration = SPACE TO EXPLORE

Not monsters every 5 metres and really limited navmesh/corridor style wilderness areas

Luckily Stormwall Gorge "feels" a little bit more BG, but Dyrford Crossing is a VERY IWD style area.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Obsidian never said anything about having trash encounters anywhere as far as I know...

Trash Encounters are subjective.

as exploration in BG style needs maps to have encounters to give feeling of danger which makes exploration feel more interesting.

I disagree. BG Exploration = SPACE TO EXPLORE

Not monsters every 5 metres and really limited navmesh/corridor style wilderness areas

Luckily Stormwall Gorge "feels" a little bit more BG, but Dyrford Crossing is a VERY IWD style area.

I meant that there need to be encounters or some other interesting content in the maps that aren't tied to quests/tasks outside of that encounter/content, to make exploration feel worth while thing, as completely empty maps or railroad maps aren't very interesting to explore. As in former case there are little if any excitement in exploring map and latter one there aren't much of exploring to do as you are on set path that you can't depart at least in any meaningful way. I didn't offer any opinion how dense that content should be or has Obsidian succeeded with their content in beta, but that I think content and encounters that aren't part of larger quests and tasks is something that Obsidian should aim and what I think they already are aiming towards.

• Like 1