Are they even listening to our feedback?

ctn2003

How can you say that the random creatures in the wild area of poe are more boring than the ones in BG1. I mean, gibberling = xvart = gnolls = etc. There wasn't absolutely any difference in approaching 90% of the standard combats in BG1. O_o

EDIT: at least the beetles have some tactical POI (fear the poison)

Edited by Uomoz

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

I compared them directly against their creature types from the IE games - what's wrong with that? Why would you make a step backwards in creature design instead of a step foward ?

Pillars of Eternity has removed all of the 'trash mob' type humanoid races such as Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds etc except for Xaurips, which sound cool.

Icewind Dale 1 in general did much better than BG1 and IWD2 regarding creatures (but IWD2 made up for this with AI and scripting). BG2 had it's share of trash creatures and awesome++ creatures.

Edited by Sensuki

I know how many types of Wolves there are because I've seen them all in the game files. I'd say *most* of the creature files are in the game files too. There's a few of them. Not as many as BG2 though obviously (which imported some from BG1).

Edited by Sensuki

Why memorize more than one haste when you can just mash rest real quick and get it back?

Edit: Also, its pretty unfair to assume poe will have as much creature variety as the ie titles (bg1+2,iwd1+2,xpacs,pst). IE games and expansions got to that expansive creature list over many titles with several teams over years. If it matches BG1+totsc, then we are good.

Edited by Shevek

Not everyone plays that way. I play the full length of the adventuring day in the IE games - usually go until my characters get fatigued. You're given enough healing potions to do that, and you don't need to use spells in every encounter.

Maybe not everyone does but many do rest spam. I am willing to say most folks zerg and rest spam the ie games. Until they die, then they metagame the tough encounter that killed them.

That's a pretty big statement there.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

We need to form some sort of special agency to police how others choose to play a non-competitive single player game.

Because having players have to police themselves in order to get enjoyment out of the game is just great design.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

"I really want to play as class X, but it's overpowered due to bad design, so I guess I should just restrict myself to a smaller portion of the game content."

Great idea, Sarex.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Given enough healing potions ... I can't even buy enough healing potions. The Vale of Shadows, or whatever, at the beginning of IWD, literally has platoons of undead: skeletons, ghasts, ghouls, mummies, bone guardians ... and only one or two Cure Light Wounds potions per dungeon. My low-level four-person party--really two and a half, with a mage and thief in tow--is up to their necks in survival combat. Rest healing after clearing a dungeon is the only way, that I know of. It is really strange to see the time stamp: You Have Rested 35 Days, 16 Hours

All Stop. On Screen.

In the BGT games, I would usually rest after completing the map or dungeon. If the map was fairly light, I would continue on and kill more stuff.

I'm fine with the Stamina/Health system in principle, but the ratios need tweaking.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"I really want to play as class X, but it's overpowered due to bad design, so I guess I should just restrict myself to a smaller portion of the game content."

Great idea, Sarex.

What was stupid about your statement is that you think that the player will police him self to enjoy the game. He will either play the game how he likes it and it will be fun for him, or he will drop it as soon as he realizes that it's boring to him.

Great idea, Sarex.

What was stupid about your statement is that you think that the player will police him self to enjoy the game. He will either play the game how he likes it and it will be fun for him, or he will drop it as soon as he realizes that it's boring to him.

You do realize that you're making my argument for me right now? If you have to "roleplay" around bad design, that is not a good thing. People will play the game the developers make, not "roleplay" the game that they want.

• Like 2

[slap Aloth]

You do realize that you're making my argument for me right now? If you have to "roleplay" around bad design, that is not a good thing. People will play the game the developers make, not "roleplay" the game that they want.

I have no idea how you think that anything I said is supporting your argument.

• Like 1

I have no idea how you think that anything I said is supporting your argument.

Well, you seem unable to follow the actual discussion so far, so that doesn't come as a surprise.

• Like 1

[slap Aloth]

Well, you seem unable to follow the actual discussion so far, so that doesn't come as a surprise.

That still doesn't explain how you connected having fun in a game with policing one self. I think you got lost in your own words.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Long time listener first time caller :)

I would just like to say to those (OP) and others who are complaining about the devs not listening and or game at this point, that I would like you to please remember that as Beta Backers, Obsidian is asking you to be part of their team now to help them make this game everything they, and us have envisioned it to be! You are their 'external Quality Assurance officers.' You are a part of the team now, and as such the team require you to formulate intelligent, and informative feedback about any gameplay issues you encounter, any constructive ideas you think may be beneficial. They are extremely busy working to resolve issues, implement fixes all the while listening to your feedback, and if they have to take time reading unconstructive whinging, you have to appreciate then, that is taking time away from reading proper feedback from those that are trying to help, and therefore they could address and attempt to implement! Work with the team and the team will work with you! This game is still very much a work in progress, and you as Backers have been given a wonderful opportunity to help them make this game great!

• Like 2

Given enough healing potions ... I can't even buy enough healing potions. The Vale of Shadows, or whatever, at the beginning of IWD, literally has platoons of undead: skeletons, ghasts, ghouls, mummies, bone guardians ... and only one or two Cure Light Wounds potions per dungeon. My low-level four-person party--really two and a half, with a mage and thief in tow--is up to their necks in survival combat. Rest healing after clearing a dungeon is the only way, that I know of. It is really strange to see the time stamp: You Have Rested 35 Days, 16 Hours

I hope you read the Kickstarter pitch carefully, their influence for encounters and combat space was IWD not BG1/BG2.

People keep on comparing PoE to BG1/BG2 combat-space-wise, when they really should take a good long look at IWD instead...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.