RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Just once in a RPG I'd like to see a character jump in the water to swim wearing plate, make it a few yards while struggling mightily, then sink like a stone and die. 

:lol:

That happened in Two Worlds if you didn't train up some skill that allowed you to swim with (heavy) armor iirc.

That happened in Two Worlds if you didn't train up some skill that allowed you to swim with (heavy) armor iirc.

What was the skill called, helium balls?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Don't forget the important role that RPS plays in raising issues of social justice. There reviews may be debatably questionable but they more than make up for it with there awareness campaigns around certain issues

Ironically, it's precisely RPS' incessant white knighting that puts me off more than anything else.  I can usually put up with it (read: skim over it as best I can) because I enjoy their cheesy puns and they do have insightful things to say from time to time.  Like with any other reviewers, we don't always (or even often) see eye to eye when it comes to taste in games or things that nag us and things we let go, but that's all part of different people having different opinions, and it's not enough to make me stop reading their work.  I don't think I've ever truly felt like they had an agenda...  Well, except for their clear desire to score moral justice crusader brownie points.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm glad South Park has been well received, but not allowing the player change keybinds at all is weird at best. Smells like a fast PC port.

Less is better -philosophy isn't exactly the best way to go what comes to options, and that's exactly what many devs seem to think these days. Not too thrilled about that.

Devil's Advocate though, it's art style mirrors south park. You don't need physics, lighting or most of the lengthy list of options we get in most games. I do hope being able to change the aspect ratio is an option or auto-accounted for but with how crudely drawn and animated South Park is this is one game where even resolution changes may not be needed, or may in-fact make the game look worse if everyone is too smoothly drawn.  

Don't forget the important role that RPS plays in raising issues of social justice. There reviews may be debatably questionable but they more than make up for it with there awareness campaigns around certain issues

Ironically, it's precisely RPS' incessant white knighting that puts me off more than anything else.  I can usually put up with it (read: skim over it as best I can) because I enjoy their cheesy puns and they do have insightful things to say from time to time.  Like with any other reviewers, we don't always (or even often) see eye to eye when it comes to taste in games or things that nag us and things we let go, but that's all part of different people having different opinions, and it's not enough to make me stop reading their work.  I don't think I've ever truly felt like they had an agenda...  Well, except for their clear desire to score moral justice crusader brownie points.

Come now Keyrock lets be resonable, there are dozens of gaming websites that don't care about social justice. Surly we aren't going to judge RPS because they do and they are prepared to admit this? I wish more gaming websites had there perpsective but sadly there aren't.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There's reporting legitimate wrongs and then there's going out of your way to find things to get outraged about so that you can score moral justice crusader brownie points.  To me it seems like RPS tends to engage in the latter.  

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, nothing like preaching to make up for lack of critical analysis. Reading an article on Heroes of the Storm Grayson mentions "major missteps" referring to the bit of fuss their question about sexist design kicked up. Found that funny.

Still though, I guess it can't hurt to just peruse their reviews and take a note.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Personally I stopped perusing RPS a while ago, their "journalism" has clearly deteriorated and it speaks volume that they see fit to preach at their audience rather than reporting on relevant subject matter, the actions of self righteous young men who clearly look down on their audience.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

RPS isn't all bad, though.  I will give them credit for giving a lot of coverage and bringing attention to smaller indie developers who get mostly ignored by the behemoth sites in favor of yet another Final Fantasy XIII Dress Up Quest "article" or OMG Did See That Call of Duty Trailer?  Let's Overanalyze The Bejesus Out Of It type crap.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Personally I stopped perusing RPS a while ago, their "journalism" has clearly deteriorated and it speaks volume that they see fit to preach at their audience rather than reporting on relevant subject matter, the actions of self righteous young men who clearly look down on their audience.

I'm surprised that any website can cause you to feel it's looking down on a particular group? Don't you think that you judging RPS, isn't this about the importance of free speech...shouldn't we just not have any opinions on how we feel about a particular website and there perspective? Or does ths only apply to our opinions on ..I don't know...lets say RPGCodex :biggrin: ( sorry Nonek I couldn't resist, you know I love you )

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I peruse neither RPS or the Codex, this in no way serves to limit their rights to free speech Bruce. I hardly thought this needed pointing out.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dark Souls 2 PC Release Date Announced

DARK SOULS II for PC and Steam is coming on 25th April 2014!

PC & STEAM version will benefit from PC capabilities with increased texture resolution and an enhanced frame rate option. On top of that, FromSoftware have been working to perfectly adapt the game for a mouse & keyboard combo. 

That's 1 day before my birthday.  :dancing:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Let's just hope they've removed the grinding mechanic from the game. It totally killed it for me last time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There's reporting legitimate wrongs and then there's going out of your way to find things to get outraged about so that you can score moral justice crusader brownie points. To me it seems like RPS tends to engage in the latter.

This is how I've been feeling about io9 lately. It would be nice to read some Doctor Who news without being told the next Doctor should be a woman or PoC and if you disagree you are what's wrong with society.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

yeah, that's what makes Dark Souls, remove that and you hardly have a game at all

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There's reporting legitimate wrongs and then there's going out of your way to find things to get outraged about so that you can score moral justice crusader brownie points. To me it seems like RPS tends to engage in the latter.

This is how I've been feeling about io9 lately. It would be nice to read some Doctor Who news without being told the next Doctor should be a woman or PoC and if you disagree you are what's wrong with society.

But Idris Elba should be both the Doctor and James Bond

Free games updated 3/4/21

Strangely enough the SJW stuff doesn't bother me that much at RPS, I can almost always pick the articles and avoid them. It's more that I don't find them to have much of any critical faculty any more, and find that they use absolutely shameless click whoring on a wide range of subjects, of which the SJW stuff is admittedly a part.

Stuff like Alec Meer blaming Uplay for his ISP being crap is exactly the sort of thing that annoys me, it's guaranteed to get lots of angry responses in support, but it's a load of bollocks and he must know it is since the problem was that his ISP was blocking access, if you didn't use his BT (more like Bt, insect subscribers) you were fine. And you know- with the absolute certainty of having seen a breathlessly fanboy article about how wonderful it was having Gabe explain how VAC scanning your DNS was a good thing and thanks for taking the time Gabe you're so fascinating and dreamy, and after their incorrect and non factual never retracted crusade against Origin scanning hard drives- that if his ISP were blocking steam it would incontrovertibly be his ISP's fault, not Valve's, and not worth a mention. The whole M&M coverage on RPS was terrible, for that matter. Then there's the Thiaf vs SP wot I thinks, which are, well, not exactly consistent despite being from the same guy.

Plus the articles on anonymous indie projects actually do annoy me, as unlike the SJW stuff they're now a majority of their content.

Actually I've pretty much talked myself out of going back, except on Fridays. If I'm reading an article and wondering how they're going to spin it for clickbait right from the start I'm probably better off not reading at all as I'm not going to be fair even to good articles.

I'm surprised that any website can cause you to feel it's looking down on a particular group? Don't you think that you judging RPS, isn't this about the importance of free speech...shouldn't we just not have any opinions on how we feel about a particular website and there perspective? Or does ths only apply to our opinions on ..I don't know...lets say RPGCodex :biggrin: ( sorry Nonek I couldn't resist, you know I love you )

And what about free speech rights of the creators of the games, which RPS tramples over :p

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

And what about free speech rights of the creators of the games, which RPS tramples over :p

Unless either RPS or this forum suddenly became the government, I don't see what free speech has to do with it.  

• Like 1

Unless either RPS or this forum suddenly became the government, I don't see what free speech has to do with it.  

Well we have had this debate on different levels and we all have our own views. My opinion is a simple one and its based on what I see works in South Africa and is in our constitution. We believe in free speech but not if it impacts the dignity of a person. So in other words say what you want but don't say it in way that is offensive or hurtful. Its obvious to me and I don't understand why people don't emphatically agree with me

• Like 1

John Milton 

Anita Sarkeesian used unlicensed artwork in her kickstarter pitch

Author tried communicating to no avail, so she took it more public.

Cute.

While I'm loathe to defend Sarkeesian, considering the ammount of mail she must be getting, it wouldn't be a surprise if she didn't bother reading most of them.

Edited by Oner