RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

What could have been more gothic than the new design which consists of black leather, completely white skin, and stitch-work that reminds me of Catwoman in Batman Returns? Dear lord

Black fingernails.

Apparently they were in for initial redesign.

If you buy a new game at normal pricing you are getting screwed by STEAM guaranteed.

Could you expand on what you mean by this?

Outside of the fact you don't get a physical copy :) , I haven't noticed the new games seeming more expensive (in the US, I mean) via Steam. Is it the non-US Steam market you're referring to? I know that's often a big contention point, but I thought the non-US high prices often applied to even non-Steam gaming as well.

Lets take Tomb Raider as a forinstance. Steam pricing comes to 373 DKK, no costs associated with distribution other than maintenance of STEAM servers.

Random web search finds the game at 246 DKK if you pick it up at your game store. Should not be possible if not for publishers still subsidising brick and mortar outlets.  STEAM has built up a monopoly of convenience from their customer base, for all the sales it's still missing one vital component : competition. You can get the game at competitive prices but only when they decide.

Re sale of game keys brings competition back into the equation which is good for consumers.

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Random web search finds the game at 246 DKK if you pick it up at your game store. Should not be possible if not for publishers still subsidising brick and mortar outlets.  STEAM has built up a monopoly of convenience from their customer base, for all the sales it's still missing one vital component : competition. You can get the game at competitive prices but only when they decide.

I have zero clue as to why Steam prices are the way they are in places like Europe compared to retail (or the US), but I get the impression that you seem to think that it is Valve that sets the price for games on Steam.

If you buy a new game at normal pricing you are getting screwed by STEAM guaranteed.

Outside of the fact you don't get a physical copy :) , I haven't noticed the new games seeming more expensive (in the US, I mean) via Steam. Is it the non-US Steam market you're referring to? I know that's often a big contention point, but I thought the non-US high prices often applied to even non-Steam gaming as well.

Lets take Tomb Raider as a forinstance. Steam pricing comes to 373 DKK, no costs associated with distribution other than maintenance of STEAM servers.

Re sale of game keys brings competition back into the equation which is good for consumers.

Steam does not set prices for other publisher's games, competition between services won't drive down prices. The UK Steam price for Tomb Raider is 260 DKK, there's not more competition.

Amazon UK is selling Tomb Raider for 195 DKK, but the same Austrian company's website is selling it for 373 DKK, and prices in Germany aren't that much different to that price.

I believe publishers and Steam have had region locked games in the past, if this becomes more widespread they will do it more, and they'll probably blame it on the various incidents that have been happening within the resale market.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Steam does not set prices for other publisher's games, competition between services won't drive down prices. The UK Steam price for Tomb Raider is 260 DKK, there's not more competition.

Amazon UK is selling Tomb Raider for 195 DKK, but the same Austrian company's website is selling it for 373 DKK, and prices in Germany aren't that much different to that price.

I believe publishers and Steam have had region locked games in the past, if this becomes more widespread they will do it more, and they'll probably blame it on the various incidents that have been happening within the resale market.

A game loses its 'new car smell' after x ammount of months and it's not worth what publishers think it is anymore. We need something to remind them of that. The used games market could be regulated to be more fair to pubishers, I would agree on that, but it serves an important purpose.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/stolen-credit-cards-and-fraudulent-steam-keys-cost-natural-selection-2-team

I know a few folks here buy keys from those shady discount places, might want to read this.

I've always wondered how those discount places got their keys. Figured them more for grey market than black.

And unlike Prell, I'd definitely call products bought with stolen cards then resold "black."

Some are black and some are grey. And some are legitimate - GetGamesGo and GameRocket are good examples of this. Although I agree you should be careful where you get keys from and avoid the more shady sites (personally I avoid them in favor of security, if slightly higher prices). 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There's a couple of positions I see on Saint's Row as a franchise that dislike 3 and, by extension, 4.

1) Saint's Row 3 didn't put enough effort into its world as compared to Saint's Row 2. And they forsee 4 continuing that trend.

2) Saint's Row 3 wasn't serious enough gangsters.

I'm on the fence with 4. I'm not in those camps, I rather liked 3, but I'm worried 4 may be rushed.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, 4 was just going to be an expansion for 3. Enter the Dominatrix. Then apparently the content became enough to justify turning it into a stand alone title and push its release back nearly a year.

We'll see. I guess from a tech point of view we wont see any advances. But possibly they'll improve on the world.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Good news today, with the Dead State combat demo. Also, a new Civ V expansion is due out this summer. Here's an interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/15/civilization-v-brave-new-world-preview/#more-145899

Some concepts in there sound really intriguing. Can't wait to get my hands on it, hope it's as good as Gods and Kings.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Can you please stop going offtopic in a thread called random video games news and make a separate thread about it?

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I guess this is one of those 'spiritual successor' thingies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess this is one of those 'spiritual successor' thingies.

It looks both more and less advanced than Civ IV.

Speaking of which, did anyone do an Alpha Centauri mod for that?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Can you please stop going offtopic in a thread called random video games news and make a separate thread about it?

Yeah....I know we all go off-topic for a bit sometimes, but perhaps the Sarkeesian/tropes discussion could be its own topic.

Split the posts into its own thread. Let's move the conversation there.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Might&Magic X teased by Ubisoft, info coming at PAX east.

Wasn't Obsidian at talks with Ubi about somehting at some point? Nah, it probably isn't this, although...

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Personally I can't see why they'd make another game about the cliched karate kicking supermodel when they are sitting on the narrative brilliance that is the Legacy of Kain series, labyrinthine plots, shakespearian prose and self motivated independent characters surely trump another round of shooting more waves of incompetent mooks.  

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!