RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

Kuchera is such a pansy, old tweet aside. Think he lumped people blocking ads in with software pirates, once.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

#1 worst employer breaking further down = good news.

Well I find this fascinating. How exactly is EA (under Riccietello since 2007 specifically) the #1 worst employer? I mean, worst game publisher is certainly a perspective I could see a gamer having as they have their right to make judgments on the quality of games released.

Furthermore, in light of JR resigning because the company's financial performance underachieved, what sort of changes do you anticipate happening?

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012/

Well, EA always was doing a great job at destroying jobs. Hire and Fire, like a well oiled machine. Cynics might say "That's just the way it is dude", but to me, this is incompetent management. There's always a way to keep devs busy in interim cycles.

Either way, some recent EA releases were total failures. ME3, Dead Space 3, Syndicate, SimCity etc. were all creatively bancrupt products and as such, EA deserves all the blame they can get.

I don't understand the ME3 hate. The crappy ending didn't invalidate the other 40 hours of awesome game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

mass effect 3 was terrible from the opening scene

40 hours of garbage with a garbage ending

though to be fair, i never saw the ending, the first half of the game was so bad i never bothered finishing it

edit: and i was a huge fan of ME2, i played that game 3 times through

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-19-ex-ea-execs-on-ea-ceo-transition

One ex-EA executive, who wished not to be named, was less charitable
about Riccitiello's tenure, however. "Riccitiello lost money every
single year he was at EA while I was there, (and probably every other
year he was there too). He just didn't know anything about games, or
rather, interactive entertainment in general. After I left, he was gone
for a while... [then] Riccitiello came back, but since he hadn't learned
anything as a VC guy, he really didn't bring anything of value with him
the first or the second time. He's much more obnoxious than
impressive," said the exec, referring to Riccitiello's time at Elevation
Partners before coming back to lead EA.

Hey Ray & Greg you can come forward now it's okay.

PS: I truly hate the way how the new forum software handles quotes.

• Like 1

though to be fair, i never saw the ending, the first half of the game was so bad i never bothered finishing it

I call shenanigans on this.  The two games are way too similar for you to have that opinion.  You were probably just burned out on the game because you played ME2 too much.

They're similar games, but we're not in the "Fallout 3/New Vegas" or "KOTOR1/2" ballpark of similarities and I think it's fair to dislike one and like the other. Besides, the Mass Effect titles are strongly story-driven titles, so not liking the tone/general writing can severely impact the experience. It's why you see people hating KOTOR2 but loving 1 or vice-versa despite having incredibly similar gameplay.

I wouldn't call Mass Effect 3 terrible or garbage by any stretch by the way, but it's certainly the most inconsistent title I've played from BioWare. Terrible writing sometimes segue into good writing, tone seems to change often, plot points from both the other games or established early in the story get dropped or sidelined, well designed maps can be followed by turret sections (bleh), etc.

Mass Effect 2 was much more repetitive and I think a generally worse game, but it was far more consistent.

I'm really happy with what they did with the weight system, character abilities and itemization in ME3 though, generally speaking. They might have missed a bit here and there, and it's not like I'm ever agonizing in front of a choice, but it's far more interesting than Mass Effect 2 or 1 in this regard.

• Like 1

I don't know how people think they were all that similar. The pacing and tone are completely different. The advanced skills and loadout change kill the need for specialization. The Earth tutorial is probably the worst level in the franchise, with overdone and transparent scripting.

I'm sorry, I guess that turned from "they're different" to "some of the things I hate about ME3."

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Forces? Consoles have incredibly slow loading times because data has to load from optical disc, even with the various tricks they can deploy. Please Microsoft don't twist my arm and make my gaming experience a lot better. It would be great if there was also a SSD for a cache.

I can't see an always on console, not for the next Xbox or the generation after that, and I don't believe the documentation actually says it requires an always on connection to play games, it just says that in low power mode the console can stay connected and update games.

If that is true, all that Sony needs to win this generation console war is allow used games...

And of course with this in play, there is absolutely no reason of owning Xbox over PC...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

If that is true, all that Sony needs to win this generation console war is allow used games...

And of course with this in play, there is absolutely no reason of owning Xbox over PC...

Sorry to dampen your excitement, but PS4 probably will require the same. Besides, what's the problem with full installs (faster loading speed, no OD noise) and always-online anyway? It's not an issue among PC gamers so it won't be one among console gamers. Welcome to 2013, consoles.

Sorry to dampen your excitement, but PS4 probably will require the same. Besides, what's the problem with full installs (faster loading speed, no OD noise) and always-online anyway? It's not an issue among PC gamers so it won't be one among console gamers. Welcome to 2013, consoles.

You're kidding, right?  The Sim City fiasco is only the latest in a (sadly rapidly growing) line of always-online fiascoes.  

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You're kidding, right?  The Sim City fiasco is only the latest in a (sadly rapidly growing) line of always-online fiascoes.  

Uhm, first of all, "always-online" could just be a misinterpretation. Maybe you only need to be online for one-time activation of your game, then you can play offline if you desire.

Secondly, even if it's not --> No big deal, because if you're a gamer and don't have a stable constant connection then you're doing something wrong.

Next: People complaining that they need to be online to play Battlefield 4 multiplayer.

Edited by Morgoth

Uhm, first of all, "always-online" could just be a misinterpretation. Maybe you only need to be online for one-time activation of your game, then you can play offline if you desire.

Secondly, even if it's not --> No big deal, because if you're a gamer and don't have a stable constant connection then you're doing something wrong.

Next: People complaining that they need to be online to play Battlefield 4 multiplayer.

The "stable constant connection" is less the issue, the servers getting overloaded, crashing, connection errors, etc. that are all on the server side, and this has happened again and again and again, preventing legitimate customers from playing single player portions that have nothing to do with online whatsoever of a game they paid for, are the meaty portion of the issue.  I have no issue with MMOs needing to be always-online, on account of that being a prerequisite of the game, and obviously you have to be online to play any sort of co-op or multiplayer outside of LAN, but there's no reason for always-online for single player outside of DRM and any developer/publisher that says otherwise is straight up lying (they do that sometimes).

Also, I'm not sure how the phrase "always-online" could be "misinterpreted".  The word "always" is pretty specific and leaves no room for interpretation.

al·ways  
/ˈôlˌwāz/
Adverb
At all times; on all occasions.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I call shenanigans on this.  The two games are way too similar for you to have that opinion.  You were probably just burned out on the game because you played ME2 too much.

no shenanigans involved at all.  I was shocked from the opening scene of ME 3 at how much i disliked the changes from ME2, then the removal of choice in my character (why in the f was sheperd all concerned about that little kid?  sheperd kicks people out of windows and has killed thousands of men, shep had robot terminator scars from how corrupt she had become and she sure as hell didnt care about a stupid kid, and the game script was arguing with me about my character)

then i go looking for my team, jack/legion and miranda.  well guess what?  apparently they aren't allowed to stay in my party because... i never found out why, i uninstalled because this was not the followup to ME2, it was just some overly scripted hamfisted sob story that had Mass Effect in the name.

as far as im concerned ME2 ended with my party leaving to go to war, and they never returned.

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

@Keyrock we all get it okay?

PS4 it is for you then. Congrats. Let's hope for your own sake that Sony won't do something similar oh wait they *will* end of story.

Why are you mad at me explaining and clarifying my argument?  I thought that's what forums were for?  I didn't mean my posts to be aggressive or belittling.  If that's how they came off, then I apologize.  My bad.

I have no intention of buying any console any time soon, regardless of whether they force always-online or not.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I can see how it would happen. I divide ME2 into two roughly equal portions, the mostly self-contained recruitment and loyalty missions, which although often lacking context, were really rather good; and the core Cerberus/Collector stuff, which is a lot more divisive. ME3 to me felt like a game made entirely of that latter part, so it would follow that someone's evaluation of ME3 overall would be poor if their opinion of that half of ME2 mirrored that.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

@Keyrock we all get it okay?

PS4 it is for you then. Congrats. Let's hope for your own sake that Sony won't do something similar oh wait they *will* end of story.

Why are you mad at me explaining and clarifying my argument?  I thought that's what forums were for?  I didn't mean my posts to be aggressive or belittling.  If that's how they came off, then I apologize.  My bad.

I have no intention of buying any console any time soon, regardless of whether they force always-online or not.

No your post was perfectly polite and reasonable, no need to apologize.

I share  your sentiment, no Console games ever. PC games to the end !!!!  :yes:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No need to I think. Morgoth is just a bit on the grumpy side. It happens ;)

People who has been around "forever" know each others quirks and when to just smile and nod and when not.

Still waiting (impatiently) for Q3 to show up so I can get EU IV...

Diplomacy (aka Lying and Cheating with style).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein