RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

They've come along way from EA Spouse

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From everything I can tell, the EA Spouse thing was quite the eye opener. (EDIT: Malcador illustrates this)

In terms of things like excessive crunch, BioWare (as an independent entity) had quite the reputation as well.  Now we see crunch as "consuming employees and reducing job satisfaction leading to talent drain and excessive job turnover."

The BG games were made on 18 hour days 7 days a week.  ME1 was particularly bad from what I hear.  There's also a decent number of people that have come here from other places that talk it up as being an improvement.

I don't have much backlog (mostly service industry types of jobs) to compare with, but EA is eaaaaaaaaaasily the best employer I have had in terms of providing employee satisfaction.

But gamers don't care about stuff like that (which is fair).  They just buy the games, and in the end the quality of games is all they should need to deal with.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 2

"Either way, some recent EA releases were total failures. ME3"

Define 'total failure' b/c I doubt ME3 would belong to any 'total failure' category.

P.S. I'm glad that piece of crap was ****canned.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Still this is largely much ado about nothing. All the people that hate EA have no cause to do more than chuckle about this, not like the company's burning to ash slowly like RIM :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree that it's not really a big thing.

I have my concerns since it brings up a degree of uncertainty.  While some may feel this can only be good, for myself it could mean a lot of bad (or a lot of good) and the idea of "Hmmm, I don't really know how this will affect me long term" isn't what I like to feel.

If this thread is to be exclusively to bring to attention news items, and not for discussion about anything that comes up, I'd ask the moderators to clearly state that in the OP, and to actually enforce it by cleaning up this thread of non-news discussion.

Hey, alanschu, time for a pay rise (it said something including internal candidates for the position) :grin:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hey, alanschu, time for a pay rise (it said something including internal candidates for the position) :grin:

Hah!  Well, I have often joked with my friends "when I become CEO" so I did get some "Is there more to this story Allan?" comments as jokes hahaha.

I just got a tip from LordCrash about a turn-based 4x strategy game over at KS: Battle Worlds: Kronos. I read the info and watched video and immediately backed. I'm a sucker for this kind of Panzer General games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

"The classic turn-based strategy – exciting, involved gaming that calls for long-term planning, clever tactics, transparent rules and tough decisions – is making a comeback. Many gamers may have seen and enjoyed recent examples of great turn-based gaming, but might not be aware of classics like Battle Isle or Advance Wars." Well, this is the grandchild of those games. I'm looking forward to it. I much prefer this than the stressful Starcraft scene.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***