What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

I bought Alice Madness Returns, and oh WOW, just wow. Such an incredible art design. Wonder why the game didn't get more praise when it was released last year.

Agreed. It was a very enjoyable experience overall, but there were more than one occasion where I felt that the dialogue didn't make any sense at all.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

My computer couldn't really handle Withcher 2 ( at 1920x1200 ) so i haven't played much of it yet. Maybe sometme in 2014 :D

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja. It's actually as good as they said.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I bought Alice Madness Returns, and oh WOW, just wow. Such an incredible art design. Wonder why the game didn't get more praise when it was released last year.

Agreed. It was a very enjoyable experience overall, but there were more than one occasion where I felt that the dialogue didn't make any sense at all.

I loved Alice, its got a dark plot and the rendition of the whole Wonderland world is very well done. I use to love just spending time looking at all the bizarre backgrounds

Its funny you mention the dialog but I found it to be based on the usage of old English words and very well done

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If you have trouble understanding Alice, you probably aren't taking enough LSD.

:grin:

Funny Hurl

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think The Witcher 2 is great, don't listen to the haters.

Eh it has flaws and they're not 'hating' on it as they can at least say why they dislike it, don't recall much of the way of frothing about it here, but oh well.

I'd mainly see the combat being twitchy and stuff like the inventory, QTEs being things people would have found off putting - that last boss fight was rather annoying to me. I enjoyed it overall, am replaying the EE right now off and on.

Ah GK3. I've reached 'that' puzzle.

The map? That's the only puzzle I remember being bloody annoying.

Edit: No, wait, just remembered there was some puzzle of ultimate braindestroyer at the end, somesort of chessboard or something.

No, the cat hair mustache puzzle :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

TW2 is worth playing at least once. QTEs suck but they aren't that frequent, and if you select Easier QTEs in options, you won't get stuck with them. It's just a very well made game.

Well, just beat Blops2. I went in with 0 expectations, looking forward to something that would tide me over a saturday. Let's just say that I was positively surprised. A GOTY candidate, and more branching and C&C that at least seems to be way above anything above, say, AP or Witcher 2. O_O

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, just beat Blops2. I went in with 0 expectations, looking forward to something that would tide me over a saturday. Let's just say that I was positively surprised. A GOTY candidate, and more branching and C&C that at least seems to be way above anything above, say, AP or Witcher 2. O_O

But it doesn't beat School Days HQ.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

TW2 is worth playing at least once.

Personally, I'd encourage everyone to play it through twice if they enjoy the story at all, because playing the game once will only answer about 2/3 of the questions you might have about the plot.

Why are the Sorceresses so interested in having an independent Upper Aedirn, especially Philippa, who is the advisor of King Radovid and has nothing really to do with the conflict? Where did that damn dragon come from? If you don't play Iorveth's path, you never find out.

Were there any additional assassinations? What happened to Temeria after the prologue? Again, not answered unless you play Roche's path.

TW2 is worth playing at least once.

Personally, I'd encourage everyone to play it through twice if they enjoy the story at all, because playing the game once will only answer about 2/3 of the questions you might have about the plot.

Why are the Sorceresses so interested in having an independent Upper Aedirn, especially Philippa, who is the advisor of King Radovid and has nothing really to do with the conflict? Where did that damn dragon come from? If you don't play Iorveth's path, you never find out.

Were there any additional assassinations? What happened to Temeria after the prologue? Again, not answered unless you play Roche's path.

Good points and reasons for a replay :)

John Milton 

Started playing some Assassins Creed 3. Got around 2 hours done and I think I am still in the intro... have to say, I find the game really boring. So far everything is only cutscene, walk to x, cutscene, walk to x, cutscene,... ehw.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

People have a right to their own opinion, it's okay to dislike games that many people love and to love games many people hate, it's all subjective. I personally love The Witcher 2. I consider it the best RPG of the last 10 years and it's my #3 RPG of all time. I've played through it 4 times and will play through it at the very least once or twice more in the future. I love how political the game is. I love the branching storylines and many different endings. I like unexpected consequences for your actions. I like how the game doesn't try to shield you or censor any of the filth, brutality, and debauchery of what is a dirty, grimy, highly prejudiced world. I like how people have their own agendas and how manipulative they are of others around them, including you. I like how the world is "living"; people are at their shops during the day, at a tavern in the evening, stumbling home drunk later on, then sleeping in their houses at night.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Fired up Dead Island this morning. First thing I noticed was the mouse cursor moves slower than molasses while in any game menu (main menu, inventory menu)...which is driving me insane. It moves fine while actually inside the game (moving chr. around, clicking on objects etc), but as soon as I enter any menu ... argh. Which is too bad, since in the brief intro stuff, I was liking the atmosphere of the game, at least.

Think I'll try Walking Dead, instead. Or perhaps the Borderlands 2 DLC, since there's two of them now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I still get a kick out of some "Game of the Year Editions". I'll use Dead Island as an example since LadyCrimson just brought it up. For a game to have a "Game of the Year Edition" doesn't it first have to be Game of the Year? I would think that would be a reasonable prerequisite. I know there are like a billion sites and publications out there, but what publication voted Dead Island GotY. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. For a game with some horrific hiccups and snafus (I'm being kind) it's strangely addicting and quite fun. Still, it wouldn't even make my top 25 for GotY 2011, and I can't think of a single site or publication that even so much as had it on their list of contenders.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Planetside 2 is really starting to grow on me. It's just plain awesome to be a part of 50+ people attack force. Tanks hammering away, air full of air superioty ships dogfighting, troop transports driving/flying around bringing more meat to the grinder.

It does have the usual released before it was finished -syndrome. Poor performance, servers going bonkers, the stuff. But who cares, its free to play!

I still get a kick out of some "Game of the Year Editions". I'll use Dead Island as an example since LadyCrimson just brought it up. For a game to have a "Game of the Year Edition" doesn't it first have to be Game of the Year? I would think that would be a reasonable prerequisite. I know there are like a billion sites and publications out there, but what publication voted Dead Island GotY. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. For a game with some horrific hiccups and snafus (I'm being kind) it's strangely addicting and quite fun. Still, it wouldn't even make my top 25 for GotY 2011, and I can't think of a single site or publication that even so much as had it on their list of contenders.

It usually simply refers to a re-release of a game that sold well with all the DLC or expansions.

witcher 2 was ok, not that great

dead island was fun for about 5 hours

just finished The Walking Dead last night. easily one of the best games i've played in years. instant top 50 game of all time for me. it's on steam sale right now, i think its something everyone who likes games movies or books should play

it was not perfect, but what it does well, it does REALLY well

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I liked Twitcher2 a lot and replayed it recently, but there sure are a lot of things wrong with it as well. Combat was obviously aiming for something like Batman: AA but ended up more like Gothic- certainly not a bad system once you know its quirks, but potentially a real pain while you're learning. QTEs were annoying, not so much the fistfights which were trivial, but the first time going through the Kayran and getting killed after all that annoying tentacle dodging just because you missed a "Press space Bar Now!!!!" prompt was extraordinarily annoying. And there were difficulty spikes reminiscent of Vlad Tepes on a bad day (see Kayran, first fight v antagonist, draug) even once you'd learnt the combat. The alchemy system (meditate to drink part) was good in theory but ended up being unnecessarily restrictive, partly due to the rather stilted UI which was designed more to look pretty than be functional, there was a rather big potential retcon right at the start, the whole engine and approach had changed from the first game etc etc.

I liked it a lot overall, but it's certainly not a title where I shake my head when people don't like it.

• Like 1

Kayran sucks, but it's only one fight. I do remember how long it took for me to learn the combat system so that is a thing, but once you do learn it it can be reasonably enjoyable, similar to TW1 - neither of which, in the end, has great combat.

I'd agree that in the end it was a good not great game.

Fired up Dead Island this morning. First thing I noticed was the mouse cursor moves slower than molasses while in any game menu (main menu, inventory menu)...which is driving me insane. It moves fine while actually inside the game (moving chr. around, clicking on objects etc), but as soon as I enter any menu ... argh. Which is too bad, since in the brief intro stuff, I was liking the atmosphere of the game, at least.

Did you try the v-sync settings on/off? Just an idea since it sometimes does funny things with mouse controls in some games.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein