What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

Start of previous thread

Last page of previous thread

...I played some hours of Torchlight2. After the usual easy areas, it starts to become fairly fun. So far it's not as "cartoony" as I thought it would be and I like it better than TL1, certainly. The dual-pistol character is right up my alley. And I'd forgotten how addicting the fishing can be in this series, at least early on. Getting spells, tomes, armor from fishing becomes a rather obsessive task now and then.

...and turning your pet into a Mimic is hilarious. A mouthy treasure chest idly hopping around. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guild Wars 2, Black Mesa and Icewind Dale II.

Taking it very easy with GW2 (my highest chr is around level 30) but having a lot of fun exploring the world and trying the different classes and races. I'm impressed with Black Mesa and enjoying it a lot (I never played the original Half-Life but have played HL2) and expect to finish it this weekend. IWD2 is one of those games I've played from time to time but never finished, so that's what I'm hoping to remedy with this playthrough -- it definitely takes some effort in certain areas...

I also got Borderlands 2 from my cousin (he got a Steam code with his new graphics card but wasn't interested) and I guess I *kinda* like it. So far I've been playing the Assassin, and although the stealth and sniping are cool, I think the game might be more enjoyable with a charging-in-guns-blazing kinda character. So I might try the Commando or the Gunzerker (...) next. Or the Siren. Hm.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Assassin's Creed III. I'm still in the prologue...

I seriously don't understand why the game was built this way. It's not offensive, it's just boring. Haythem gets no upgrades, one side mission that I don't even know if I can actually complete yet, no customization (does Conner get customization like Ezio had?). I'm just running around as a guy who is way overdressed for hiding in bushes. At least he gets a cast, but only two of them are worth remembering the names of.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still working at Dishonored, I think I did the mission to return to the pub poorly, maybe I'll retry it. Getting scolded by the boatman for being brutal when I've mainly been killing plague zombies and hired killers is a bit of a headscratcher, but oh well. Nearing the end.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

After completing Bulletstorm, I remembered why I don't play straight up shooters: I'm not very good at them. Died lots of times in one place, made me go crazy, so I bought thumpers for the leash and used charged shots to survive. Helped me complete that part. QTEs were also annoying. Don't know if I should try another shooter.

The "good" thing is that these games can be completed quickly.

I'm frustrated that I don't have much time to play Dishonored. It's not a game I want to play in quck, short bursts.

Nightmare in North Point DLC for Sleeping Dogs. That is the whackiest game I've played in a while. :lol:

That's great to hear. I scooped it up a couple of days ago but am waiting to finish the main story before playing it. The trailer certainly made it look pretty fun and wacky. Out of curiosity, about how long is it? (If you've completed it)

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Assassin's Creed III. I'm still in the prologue...

I seriously don't understand why the game was built this way. It's not offensive, it's just boring. Haythem gets no upgrades, one side mission that I don't even know if I can actually complete yet, no customization (does Conner get customization like Ezio had?). I'm just running around as a guy who is way overdressed for hiding in bushes. At least he gets a cast, but only two of them are worth remembering the names of.

See my titanic post in the previous thread. As far as I know He gets squat for upgrades, and for Conner I have yet to find any upgrades to buy, only trade goods so you can improve your homestead

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Nightmare in North Point DLC for Sleeping Dogs. That is the whackiest game I've played in a while. :lol:

That's great to hear. I scooped it up a couple of days ago but am waiting to finish the main story before playing it. The trailer certainly made it look pretty fun and wacky. Out of curiosity, about how long is it? (If you've completed it)

Haven't finished it yet. The crazy caught me by surprise and I just had to take a break. :D

...I played some hours of Torchlight2. After the usual easy areas, it starts to become fairly fun. So far it's not as "cartoony" as I thought it would be and I like it better than TL1, certainly.
Yes, it really is better than Torchlight 1 in every way. Probably my biggest gripe (though still a nitpick) is overlap between some of the skills. It's a problem that's been with the diablo-clone genre since its birth, probably.

Like, why would I pick Frost Wave at level 28 when I've had Icy Blast and Hailstorm part of my "frost mage" build since level 7? It's just another damage spell, and with the skill power scaling, I've already got all frost damage covered. Thanks but no thanks, maybe I'll pick it up on a mage of another element to bypass annoying resistances without having to invest a horrible amount of points

I have just bought Sleeping Dogs and will be playing it after Risen 2. I am glad its getting good endorsements :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have just bought Sleeping Dogs and will be playing it after Risen 2. I am glad its getting good endorsements :)

While I have not yet finished the main story, so this is subject to change, I'm strongly leaning toward Sleeping Dogs being my Game of the Year. The game is far from perfect but I've had a blast playing it. I'm 30+ hours in (I've done tons of optional stuff like races, drug busts, favors, etc.) and have loved every second. I find pretty much everything in the game to be fun, even the driving, once I got used to the twitchy and kinda weird driving model. Even after having kicked the **** out of hundreds of dudes, I still immensely enjoy beating them up. I love hauling ass through the city (it definitely helps that Honk Kong is such a fantastic setting). I like singing karaoke. I love getting into firefights on foot and in vehicles. I love on foot chases. I really love action hijacking. I still always have a big goofy grin on my face whenever I play the game, it's just really fun.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

While I have not yet finished the main story, so this is subject to change, I'm strongly leaning toward Sleeping Dogs being my Game of the Year. The game is far from perfect but I've had a blast playing it. I'm 30+ hours in (I've done tons of optional stuff like races, drug busts, favors, etc.) and have loved every second. I find pretty much everything in the game to be fun, even the driving, once I got used to the twitchy and kinda weird driving model. Even after having kicked the **** out of hundreds of dudes, I still immensely enjoy beating them up. I love hauling ass through the city (it definitely helps that Honk Kong is such a fantastic setting). I like singing karaoke. I love getting into firefights on foot and in vehicles. I love on foot chases. I really love action hijacking. I still always have a big goofy grin on my face whenever I play the game, it's just really fun.

Sounds great, thanks for the relevant information :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The one big nitpick I have with TL2 is the voice acting. It's terrible. Every time a NPC starts talking I cringe - it's like listening to a zombie version of William Shatner - all his traits with none of his amusing over-emoting. Even the "You have gained a level" or whatever phrasing they use is awful.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The one big nitpick I have with TL2 is the voice acting. It's terrible. Every time a NPC starts talking I cringe - it's like listening to a zombie version of William Shatner - all his traits with none of his amusing over-emoting. Even the "You have gained a level" or whatever phrasing they use is awful.

On the plus side, there's not a whole lot of it in the game. ;)

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On the plus side, there's not a whole lot of it in the game. ;)

True...but I guess I'm picky and I still can't stand it, lol. Is there any way to turn just the voices off? I think I remember an option that at least minimized the non-important spoken things (like the level-up's). It'd be nice if I could turn off the dialogue ones too. Ah well...I can always just click away really fast...don't need to read the story.

True...but I guess I'm picky and I still can't stand it, lol. Is there any way to turn just the voices off? I think I remember an option that at least minimized the non-important spoken things (like the level-up's). It'd be nice if I could turn off the dialogue ones too. Ah well...I can always just click away really fast...don't need to read the story.

It's not like the story is particularly engaging or important. It's a loot em up, the story is "kill thousands of enemies, pick up mountains of loot". :p

Just be thankful you're not playing Two Worlds. That game still takes the cake for cringeworthy dialogue as far as I'm concerned. Compared to Two Worlds, the voice acting and dialogue in Torchlight 2 is academy award level.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

AC3

Patriotism in the past is fairly thick, but they deliberately have your Snarky English Man sending you emails and giving you speeches about the other less publicized version of the founding fathers.

Including "racist sexist homophobes" in relation to them.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I have been playing Pharaoh/ Cleopatra which I bought on a whim from the mighty GOG and it's the first game for ages that I'm unreservedly enjoying. It's not that it's a perfect game by any stretch but it gives a beautiful warm feeling that reminds me of weeing in a wetsuit Better Days.

I'm meant to be playing NWN2 which has stalled after I had no time for a couple of days. I'm pretty close to the trial so I've actually got through most of the slog, so there's no doubt I'll go back to it.

Was gifted Left4Dead 2 and have it on download from steam.. Although I guess this means I should figure out why my microphone isn't working at the moment if I start to play it much...

After a week or so break from ToR I'm getting bakc into it, and pushed my Consular through to the end of Coruscant. Pondering whether to concentrate on act 1, or go back to my Juggernaut and deal with Hoth...

Nothing new really on the horizons, alhtough waiting for Hitman Absolution to arrive at the end of November. Haven't really got the budget to try out XCom, so I'll be waiting for that on sales I think...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Re-installed IWD today. It looks like I'm going to have to play the vanilla game. Every time I try to install the patches for both IWD and HoW, it screws up the game. When I go to start a new game, it crashes to desktop each time. The only way I can actually create a new game is if none of the patches are installed.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Assassin's Creed 3

Why is anyone surprised that there's a Templar in Desmond's ancestry? M-A-R-I-A

And then there were all the e-mails I seem to recall from AC2, that acted like Desmond's big thing was that he's a joining of both orders in some way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."