What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

Managed a little more Hitman Absolution time this morning.

The levels do seem split between short linear maps to "sneak" through and some semi-wide open maps with lots of ways to assassinate a target.

But I have to admit, the Intuition thing is seriously pissing me off now. You have enough to spend about 2 seconds walking past someone if you're disguised as that "type" of person. Ie; dressed as a cop and a cop walks past you. Which in a map full of a dozen cops makes it really freaking awkward. That and it takes them about a second and a half to go from "oh, I'm seeing a cop" to "this is some faker wearing a costume". >_< So when you take a step around a corner and have 5 cops looking at you, it gets a bit awkward,.

The other annoying bit is there is no save game. Just several "check points" scattered around the map that you can use once.. and they don't actually save the game per se, as if you reload one.. every single guard/enemy on the map will be respawned as they were at the very beginning when that level was first loaded. So if you're relying on having dealt with certain guards before hand.. boom. You're out of luck and might as well just reload from the start of the level.

On the plus side, so far I've had plenty of options and methods to figure out to get by various sections of the maps / guards and deal with my targets. But it does seem awkward at times the way it bounces between those sections and straight linear ones.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Managed a little more Hitman Absolution time this morning.

I said earlier I'm going to buy the game from a good enough sale. I'm starting to think even -75% wouldn't be good enough.

Doesn't sure sound like a game I'd enjoy. Shame, really liked previous Hitman games.

Just finished Walking Dead ep. 5. Not an unexpected end, but still pretty affecting. Noticed rather blatant mechanical foreshadowing of a direct sequel (they already announced a second "season," but it shows that choices made during (and especially at the end of,) the first "season" will carry over to the second.) For anyone who does play it, don't skip the credits, there is a befuddling post-credit epilogue. Not nearly as befuddling as a Metal Gear Solid game, but still.

I think the whole episode and the ending of the fourth was pretty weird/confusing.

Lee getting bitten by a zombie tha was conveniently resting underneath a sheet of...cardboard?, just in the perfect position to pounce on him, the railroading to not search for Clem's parents (and then it turns out the hotel was within spitting distance of the scuttled boats, seriously?), Ben's character arc that is so tragic it's almost hilarious and I could go on.

The post-credits ending wasn't so bad. It was weird that the last we see of Clem is her almost wetting herself, it's pretty clear that the vague walking figures are a cheap cop out on Omid+Christa looking for her, or if they're dead/not present, random passer-bys.

Edited by Oner

At the risk of getting ostracized I'll say I'm seriously considering getting the WiiU.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

At the risk of getting ostracized I'll say I'm seriously considering getting the WiiU.

Thats cool.

michael-jordan-lol.gif

I'm sure it will get many good games.

cage.gif

I'm completely serious.

LOL2.gif

Just messing with you, I've had fun times with the first Wii

What is the WiiU? All I know is that people in the ME 3 MP say the WiiU will join multiplayer.

New Nintendo console.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thats cool.

michael-jordan-lol.gif

I'm sure it will get many good games.

cage.gif

I'm completely serious.

LOL2.gif

Just messing with you, I've had fun times with the first Wii

I'm still mulling it over. I'm thinking that considering the improved hardware, Nintendo's realization that they have to cater to the core audience as well and the fact that they have a head start over the competition - that all this will lead to better games for the WiiU than the Wii.

I'm attracted to the backwards compatibility to every Nintendo console (through emulation or otherwise) since I never had one.

I'm attracted to the price, which isn't much more than a PS3 but is a newer console.

Since I'll still have a CRT tv for a while and the original Wii is standard definition I can use that intervening period before I go full HD to play over the best of the Wii games at their optimal resolution, at bargain prices.

However, I'm not sure if the WiiU works on a standard def TV, I can't seem to find explicit info about that.

The fact is that "hardcore" games in the vein of first or third persion action AAA titles turn me off at this point. They all pander to teenagers so much that I'd much rather relax with the new Super Mario. They will be the main selling points of the new XB and PS so I'm sort of indifferent towards them.

Finally there are only 3 games I wan't to play on the PS3. All of them are short titles with no replayability. That's not enough justification to buy it.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

WiiU looks to have some 3rd party titles coming to it e.g. Bayonetta 2, lots of ports of recent multi-format releases like Arkham City and Trine 2, a lot of them with additional content. I'll be interested to compare the ports, because there's been devs grumbling about the performance of it, even questioning whether it's as powerful as the xbox360 or ps3, which are 8 years old now.

I'm playing 'spend ALL the money on Black Friday Deals' and waiting for things to finish downloading.

But it's only Thursday?

GoG and Steam have started sales early... As have Amazon and a couple of other places.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm attracted to the backwards compatibility to every Nintendo console (through emulation or otherwise) since I never had one.

That's something I can relate. If I had a Wii, I would squeeze it full with NES games.

Mario Bros, Duck Tales, Double Dragon 2 and many more still really fun games.

The WiiU's poor performance is meant to be down to the CPU, the GPU is pretty powerful with Shader 4 style graphics, but it's not going to running games you find on the 360 and ps3 at 1080p like it was suggested before. CPU is more important for gameplay, so we might not be seeing any advancement in terms of console gameplay for a while, at least when it relies on performance.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I think I'm at the end of Resonance. And I am comfortable that I've predicted an up and coming twist.

Whilst there are some quite nice points to Hitman Absolution.. I really am coming to loathe the checkpoint system and Disguise/Intuition thing.

I mean literally there are moments when folks in the same costume I'm in disguise in, will go from "hey" to "You're an imposter!" before I can take a finger off the W key and try to hit the S... That is how damn fast suspicion hits. Which when combined with the checkpoint system they have.. you can spend an hour or more replaying the same damn 10 minutes of gameplay... >_<

And then of course, any guards you have previously taken care of before that checkpoint are resoawned due to checkpoint reload...

Team of 4 still can't beat Torgue's raid boss in BL2. Lone Gunzerker can. Typical.

Oh, look at that. A fireball. Never saw one of these before. Worst part of the game, bar none. *rolleyes*

Golly mister, you suuuure showed me! Hyuk-hyuk! You are not in any way comparing apples to oranges!

Edited by AGX-17

Hitman Absolution looks absolutely terrible even by AAAAA gaming standards, but if those killer nuns from the trailers are really in, I might eventually get it.

To be fair, there are some really nice bits to it as well. It's just those couple of niggly game mechanics seriously push the annoyance factor.

The WiiU's poor performance is meant to be down to the CPU, the GPU is pretty powerful with Shader 4 style graphics, but it's not going to running games you find on the 360 and ps3 at 1080p like it was suggested before. CPU is more important for gameplay, so we might not be seeing any advancement in terms of console gameplay for a while, at least when it relies on performance.

I'm reading similar things but I find them hard to believe. Nintendo might have an approach that goes more towards innovation (or gimmicks) than hardware power but they aren't that thick, to put the equivalent of a 7 year old cpu into a new console. There seems to be a lot of deliberate misinformation around, probably organized by the competition.

Specifically, the weak CPU claim came from the developer of Metro: Last Light and here is their clarification:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=191294

Regardless, isn't the Batman game and the new CoD running at 1080p without issues and looking as good or better than the PS3/XB version?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

"Golly mister, you suuuure showed me! Hyuk-hyuk! You are not in any way comparing apples to oranges!"

Looks silly when it's not you posting it? Here's an idea, don't post such silliness in the first place. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Beat Resonance. It was a neat little game. Worth it for the adjusted $2.00 from GOG's sale, but nothing to be excited over.