What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

Hitman absolution.

My main complaint is that a non lethal takedown is very hard. You have to strangle them for minuites on end and risk getting into hand to hand combat which is a stupid quicktime event type of thing. Press various buttons in random order when they blink, or lose. So my playthrough on hard invariably turns into a bloodbath once my cover is blown. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I would rather not be forced into that outcome all the time. So far there are nowhere as many different approaches as in the previous games, which was what made replaying a level fun, and what's with the win button bullet time move, and since when could 47 hide a sniper rifle up his sleve and walk calmly by the cops.

Aside from all that, it's awesome.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Its funny you mention the dialog but I found it to be based on the usage of old English words and very well done

The first game also did that, but had absolutely no trouble understanding the dialogues.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Did you try the v-sync settings on/off? Just an idea since it sometimes does funny things with mouse controls in some games.

Since I usually always turn it off in games, I did look at it in the settings before starting play, but it was already off by default. I'll try turning it on I guess.

Started Walking Dead. I didn't get very far before I was already weary of the "watching/listening," somewhat awkward/stiff feeling UI/control, and countdown-bar QTE's. It does have a nice, mystery/creepy mood and animation, and I can see why, if one is into movie-game-story, that one might enjoy it quite a bit, but I'd have to be in a very mellow, patient mood to play it. My attention wanders too quickly without OCD-like things to do. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i recommend at least putting in a couple of hours on The Walking Dead, just to see if the story grabs you. think of it more as an interactive movie/book than a game (it really is worth playing to the end)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Finally finished my DA:O play through as a mage. I decided to sacrifice

Loghain

since it was the only ending I'd never done before ... and still didn't unlock the achievement for experiencing all the different endings.

What is it with seemingly every RPG deciding that the best way to end games is to throw wave after wave of enemies at you for the final hour? Does every game really have to mark its upcoming conclusion by tossing the player into basically one person horde/survival mode?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i recommend at least putting in a couple of hours on The Walking Dead, just to see if the story grabs you. think of it more as an interactive movie/book than a game (it really is worth playing to the end)

Well, that's one of my issues. If it's really largely a movie, I'd rather it just be one that I sit on the couch and watch.

I remember reading those "choose your own adventure" books when I was a kid, and they were a novelty for a while, but it wore off fast. It's kind of similar.

Edit: think I'll play some DK1 before bed. :grin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What is it with seemingly every RPG deciding that the best way to end games is to throw wave after wave of enemies at you for the final hour? Does every game really have to mark its upcoming conclusion by tossing the player into basically one person horde/survival mode?

The end hass to be climatic. I guess as a lot of players do not have the patience or attention span to go through a long dialogue driven end (and it is difficult to do for the writers), using assets that are already there (hordes of stock enemies) is the way out.

Which is why for me the most memorable game ending is and remains Arcanum, having the long chat with Kerghan.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Well, that's one of my issues. If it's really largely a movie, I'd rather it just be one that I sit on the couch and watch.

I remember reading those "choose your own adventure" books when I was a kid, and they were a novelty for a while, but it wore off fast. It's kind of similar.

Edit: think I'll play some DK1 before bed. :grin:

just wait till a nice rainy day when you feel like sinking into some fiction, you won't regret it!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That's a good point, not really limited to RPGs. In fact, I'm trying really hard to think of a game where the ending wasn't mostly "tons of the same old enemies", maybe with a big boss thrown in there or some side missions to complete in the gauntlet...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's a good point, not really limited to RPGs. In fact, I'm trying really hard to think of a game where the ending wasn't mostly "tons of the same old enemies", maybe with a big boss thrown in there or some side missions to complete in the gauntlet...

That's what's keeping me from finishing FFXII.I'm at the end of the game and its turned into a grind fest with map after map chock full of enemies and bosses inbetween. Really disappointing.

So many games destroy the good impression they went to such lengths to build towards the end. I end up feeling bad for wasting time on them.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I liked Witcher 2, but it did need serious help when it came to the combat system. I think if Cd projekt teamed up with somebody who knew how to do menus and just UI interface better, they'd have a SIGNIFICANTLY better game overall that'd earn a lot of fans.

Been Playing WoW (obviosly), Battlefield 3, Black Ops, and the new Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Most Wanted is probably the one that tickles me the most... not in terms of actual gameplay or anything, but what it represents. It's not a ultra-realistic hyper physics-tastic driving game where you zoom around and have to ensure that you break properly and downshift etc to get around a corner without spinning out, while tweaking every little thing on your car to ensure you get the best performance. It's "Here's a car... go race it. Oh, and ram the crap out of your opponents and turn them to scrap" with the physics being about as cartoony as they can without becoming Mario Kart. After all, it is made by the guys behind Burnout.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I liked Witcher 2, but it did need serious help when it came to the combat system. I think if Cd projekt teamed up with somebody who knew how to do menus and just UI interface better, they'd have a SIGNIFICANTLY better game overall that'd earn a lot of fans.

Are you speaking about layout and design or implementation?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yes.

I think for 'serious help' you need to describe your problem a bit more.

Am not picking up dishonoured until it's under $10. Tried it for half an hour at a friend's house, and I know you can't judge a game based on that long, but on Hard I just blinked up on a rooftop and shot some people with fire crossbow bolts, and people DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE DUDE just sat there having a mosey. Screw that, with that kind of AI I might as well play pretend with my invisible friends.

Yes.

Thank you for a useless response.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I think for 'serious help' you need to describe your problem a bit more.

Am not picking up dishonoured until it's under $10. Tried it for half an hour at a friend's house, and I know you can't judge a game based on that long, but on Hard I just blinked up on a rooftop and shot some people with fire crossbow bolts, and people DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE DUDE just sat there having a mosey. Screw that, with that kind of AI I might as well play pretend with my invisible friends.

Well, it's not well explained. It can be finniky and sticky. It's hard to get out of combo's once you've started them and can't break your attack to dodge. Not to mention the fact that they have clunky controls for magic, and it's habit of giving you abilities that you don't understand how to use (catching knives on your sword).

I still get a kick out of some "Game of the Year Editions". I'll use Dead Island as an example since LadyCrimson just brought it up. For a game to have a "Game of the Year Edition" doesn't it first have to be Game of the Year? I would think that would be a reasonable prerequisite. I know there are like a billion sites and publications out there, but what publication voted Dead Island GotY. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. For a game with some horrific hiccups and snafus (I'm being kind) it's strangely addicting and quite fun. Still, it wouldn't even make my top 25 for GotY 2011, and I can't think of a single site or publication that even so much as had it on their list of contenders.

It usually simply refers to a re-release of a game that sold well with all the DLC or expansions.

I'm fully aware of what a "Game of the Year Edition" is, my point is that it should be called "Complete Edition", "Ultimate Edition", "Diamond Edition", "Pink Fuzzy Sparkly Unicorn Edition", or whatever if it's not truly a "Game of the Year". I realize different publications may vote different titles as GotY, but I don't think anyone voted Dead Island GotY. A Skyrim Game of the Year Edition would make sense, as would Dark Souls Game of the Year Edition, or The Witcher 2 Game of the Year Edition, those are all games that were at the top of most lists in 2011 GotY. Dead Island Game of the Year Edition is REALLY reaching and frankly a fraudulent title is what my point is.

Anyway, sorry to stray off topic. I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights 2, I'm in Haven right now, plus I just started KotOR 2 (I was going to wait until I finished NWN2 but I couldn't help myself.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Not playing much after having finished NWN2 and Dishonored. I turn the PC on, look at the gigantic backlog and then can't decide what to play. I end up browsing the net. Then I look at the consoles and portables and I think to myself that I won't be able to finish my backlog, ever.

Since there's a pretty big shortage of modern titles I'm really enjoying (unless I missed something somewhere) I've started going through my backlog (there's some on there that I won't even admit to not having played ;)).

Having some fun being a dragon currently:

126345915-4.jpg

Though I'm playing them in reverse order, apparently Divine Divinity is isometric and pretty good now that most of the bugs have been ironed out.