RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

You tap into someone's fanbase that is the definition of ridiing coattails. If you don't think CDP's tap in to the BIO audience (including Obsidianites and Codexers) didn't have a part in how successful The Witcher was, you are the one deluding yourself, my friend.

I already gave myself as an example of it, and I doubt I'm unique in that either.

There's a reason why obsidian's most popular games are sequels and NOt their original game.

NWN2. KOTOR2. FO3.5. AP.

Which one of the above does not belong?

'Nough said.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Obsidian is an example of a company you could argue as they've been handed the IP to work with and make a sequel to, the end product being quite similar to the ridee's. Getting some PR and giving some in return (Bioware must have liked someone using their tech) and using an old engine you've hacked up and down, isn't enough. But as one does.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Getting some PR and giving some in return (Bioware must have liked someone using their tech)"

The only thing BIO likely got out if it was some money they got paid for the use of their tech..

CDPG got access to a multi million sized potential customer base.

Sorry, but anyone, who thinks that CDPG didn't get a sizeable number of potential customers based on BIO's (albeit limited) involvment is silly. It's not even about quality (or lack thereof). It's about large fanbases, word of mouth, and pimpage.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I never claimed they didn't. But riding coattails is a bit heavier of an accusation. I'm not sure how sizeable that portion is anyway, it's nigh impossible to prove either way. Word of mouth for the Witcher that I've mentioned or heard has never included Bioware's name, for example. A blurb in PCG and a review for me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wait, how did we get on anti-Bioware people again ? :thumbsup:

Don't care about stupid one-upmanship, TW was pretty good and TW2 looks awesome, and that's what really matters.

NWN2. KOTOR2. FO3.5. AP.

is AP a sequel to ME in this scenario? :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

According to an e-mail I just got from THQ's store, Retribution has been moved up to the 25th.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So they sent out a detail on the 25th release of Retribution. DigitalRiver is sending out copies early to get them in time for the release on the 1st. That's all it is. False alarm.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's still impressive considering CDProjekts art department is a lot smaller than that of Beth or Bioware.

I hope the animations also live up to the high graphical standard.

Why are you mentioning Bethesda, they've achieved amazing lows in terms of graphical achievement.

Some of the worst looking animations and characters in the entire biz come from Bethesda.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm playing Risen right now and that looks nice. Also, guns and pirates!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I get an Uncharted feel from the second screenshot, which is disturbingly bright and cheerful and carefully composed to remind you of beach volleyball.

I find it hard to believe these screens are untouched, but in terms of general direction good to see they're continuing the tropical / Spanish colony feel.

the tropical / Spanish colony feel.

actually, I'd love to play an RPG set in the Andes of the 16th century. conquista, jungle, pyramids, the Lost City, overall Aguirre feel :(

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

New artwork - main character (I guess)

Google translated fact summary:

It's in german, but you can use google translate. Here's a few points:

- You will play the same nameless hero.

- The start will be more "goal driven" storywise.

- There will be several islands and they have varying climates. There will be

loading zones between the islands, but else no loading zones or invisible walls.

- There will be guns, but it may seem you do not actually aim them yourself

- motion capture is used (I think) to give better animations, like better looking jumping etc.