RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Cutscenes. It's the equivalent of splicing in segments of Atari 2800 games in the middle of Crysis.

"Fudge yeah, I'm shooting all of these guys. WHEE. And now a cutscene, I'll just put my controller down and wait."

Eh, don't complain too much about those cutscenes. 'Cause then the devs will make the cutscene long and unskippable and place it before a hard boss battle that requires a specific pattern you need to learn through trial and error. You complain about that too, then they add Quick time events! Now not only is the cutscene unskippable, but you have to tap random buttons that pop up as fast as you can, follow that by a segment of mashing a button as fast as you can giving you early carpel tunnel syndrome. Miss just one button press or you don't mash that button as furiously as you should have and start again!

Plain old cutscenes aren't that bad. :)

Why can't all game developers be like Valve? :sorcerer:

Valve are lazy... But they can afford to be.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

How?

Where's episode 3?

How?

Where's episode 3?

Probably waiting for sufficient inspiration. They tend to work on projects they have interesting ideas for.

Episode 2 was half retreading ideas that were already tired by the time Half-Life 2 ended.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I broke down and bought Shogun 2, since I'm in the US and can take advantage of cheaper prices without downloading 20gb.

...it better really feature better AI like first impressions seem to show, or I'll facepalm myself for (a) rewarding CA for crap again, (b) rewarding Steam for being a pain in the arse :sorcerer:

How?

Where's episode 3?

Probably waiting for sufficient inspiration. They tend to work on projects they have interesting ideas for.

Episode 2 was half retreading ideas that were already tired by the time Half-Life 2 ended.

You do realise I was being sarcastic? *sigh*

Valve doesn't operate in the same environment as most other developers.

Since you're being sarcastic, then you believe they've already released Episode 3?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Since you're being sarcastic, then you believe they've already released Episode 3?

well done tale. i award 6 points.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

GFY.

I broke down and bought Shogun 2, since I'm in the US and can take advantage of cheaper prices without downloading 20gb.

...it better really feature better AI like first impressions seem to show, or I'll facepalm myself for (a) rewarding CA for crap again, (b) rewarding Steam for being a pain in the arse :(

The AI is REALLY aggressive at the start. On hard or legendary guys who would regularly smash through the previous games are getting canned in 3 turns on Total War Center.

GFY.

Good For you?

Great Friends Yippee?

GodFrey Yayoi?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The AI is REALLY aggressive at the start. On hard or legendary guys who would regularly smash through the previous games are getting canned in 3 turns on Total War Center

I read it too, and it's good news, even though I'd argue that BAI improvements are even more urgent (as you can mod various advantages to AI in campaign mode). And every TW feels pretty cool the first few hours until you work out what they're stupid about. But yes, I felt confident enough to buy...

obviously Steam is taking about 8 hours to install the damn thing.

He is the best game designer of all time, who no one talks about. He was the lead in System Shock, designer and programmer in Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, and had a hand in most other LGS projects from Terra Nova to Thief.

His part in Deus Ex was minor, as far as I know.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

He is the best game designer of all time, who no one talks about. He was the lead in System Shock, designer and programmer in Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, and had a hand in most other LGS projects from Terra Nova to Thief.

He's not known because his role in various games is bit unclear. He's programmer and designer, but I guess most think he's just programmer. For example in Ultima Underword:

Producer: Warren Spector

Director: Richard Garriott

Design: Paul Neurath

Doug was one of the programmers. In Ultima Underworld II he's already leading the team with important positions.

Project Leader: Doug Church

Lead Design: Tim Stellmach

Design: Doug Church, Paul Neurath

Lead Programming: Doug Church

Director: Paul Neurath

System Shock:

Lead Programmer: Doug Church

Warren Spector might have been given credit that actually belong to Doug Church. From Thief onwards, Ken Levine (sort of) takes his place so quality stay high during his run all the way to System Shock 2. Only thing I can't figure out is DeusEX. Doug and Kenny are gone, Warren remains. Lead Designer is Harvey Smith. Then come DeusEx Invisible War and all bets are off. What really happend between those two games? Your basic consolization (that we see in every game nowadays) maybe? Or was the input from Doug so important for the DeusEx - credited Special Thanks (Additional Programming and Design Input) Doug Church - that he still played the key part in what made that game so great. In DeusEx Invisible War Doug didn't do anything, but got credit in Special Thanks.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

He's not known because his role in various games is bit unclear. He's programmer and designer, but I guess most think he's just programmer. For example in Ultima Underword:

Doug was one of the programmers. In Ultima Underworld II he's already leading the team with important positions.

System Shock:

Warren Spector might have been given credit that actually belong to Doug Church. From Thief onwards, Ken Levine (sort of) takes his place so quality stay high during his run all the way to System Shock 2. Only thing I can't figure out is DeusEX. Doug and Kenny are gone, Warren remains. Lead Designer is Harvey Smith. Then come DeusEx Invisible War and all bets are off. What really happend between those two games? Your basic consolization (that we see in every game nowadays) maybe? Or was the input from Doug so important for the DeusEx - credited Special Thanks (Additional Programming and Design Input) Doug Church - that he still played the key part in what made that game so great. In DeusEx Invisible War Doug didn't do anything, but got credit in Special Thanks.

Please... Unless you know the man STFU.

? why did you have this reaction? he wasnt saying anything negative

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

System Shock:

my_horse_is_a_motorbike.jpg

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

GodFrey Yayoi?

Ok i'm game

"and this guy was like: it feels really hot inside you Onee san, you really are a pervert for getting off on something like this"

gottfried.jpg

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Lets get back to gaming news, new news, old news, strange news etc.

More news to follow

:thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein