RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/16...it-dead-island/

Dawn of the Dead: The Game, done properly? I was quite impressed with the CG in that trailer, I thought they'd switched to a live-action shot part-way through. The in-game screenshots don't look much worse either.

Woah, Zombies + RPG from a non-Russkie developer?

So gonna buy this!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/16...it-dead-island/

Dawn of the Dead: The Game, done properly? I was quite impressed with the CG in that trailer, I thought they'd switched to a live-action shot part-way through. The in-game screenshots don't look much worse either.

The most beautiful trailer ever. :p

I have to agree.. really well made.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have to agree.. really well made.

This... It's very, very impressive.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

... really? Nobody else thought the fact that there were zombies ruined any drama in the trailer?

Dead Rising, Dead Space, Walking Dead, Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, can we stop making zombie franchises please? They're not getting any less silly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

so, Blizzard's secret MMO dubbed Project T or whatever is actually called Destiny?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

... really? Nobody else thought the fact that there were zombies ruined any drama in the trailer?

Dead Rising, Dead Space, Walking Dead, Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, can we stop making zombie franchises please? They're not getting any less silly.

What? Zombie games are great - stop making MMOs I say!

Fortune favors the bald.

Do you know how many people named Will there are?! Stop making them.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

hmmm, do you have something against Wills of the world, Tale?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

plus they are hella silly, wills are all clowns and you can't have a scary game with clowns in it.

wait...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I just hate how they try to add drama in a game with freaking zombies.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The same could be said about "ancient evil/empire" (Kotor/ME/any Sci-fi or fantasy game), "Alien Invasions", "Apocalypse - post and pre" etc etc?

Fortune favors the bald.

have you ever seen the original night of the living dead? It invented the modern zombie. It has drama.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

actually, it's a drama. but it happens to have zombies

Walsingham said:

Are World in Conflict and Act of War so bad?

ok, I tried both games, found demos on the web. while Act of War seems like a Command & Conquer knock-off (seriosly, it has a static camera, stupid health bars above the units, low resolution, and I think live action cut-scenes, too, and overall looks exactly like a C&C game), World in Conflict really made a good impression on me. it feels like CoH, and I remember Ground Control games being very good. I think I'll give WiC a try once I find the full game.

anyway, any other suggestions? real time tactical or strategy modern warfare games? preferably something from 2000's

Walsingham said:

Act of War was ok... it wasn't great but wasn't about to revamp the genre. And yes it did have live action cutscenes that were just as campy as those in Red Alert.

Biggest thing about it was that the game tried to keep everything as relevant as it could with the infantry being able to slip into buildings and start sniping everything out of the world. But it also tried to keep things realistic so throwing basic infantry into a building was stupid...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The same could be said about "ancient evil/empire" (Kotor/ME/any Sci-fi or fantasy game), "Alien Invasions", "Apocalypse - post and pre" etc etc?

Maybe I've just been spoiled with Dead Rising 2 and other much less serious zombie games. :thumbsup:

Trailer for the Jurassic Park game. Apparently coming in April.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusiv...710663?type=flv

It's from the company that so kindly named themselves after me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Kai didn't really leave though, he went freelance. Ok, maybe that is the same as leaving :thumbsup: Why they did not rehire him.. I don't know. But it's been known on the official forums for a while.

I don't know.. While I liked Kai's music, I also have a soft spot for Jesper Kyd. Why aren't more game companies hiring him??

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Kai didn't really leave though, he went freelance. Ok, maybe that is the same as leaving :thumbsup: Why they did not rehire him.. I don't know. But it's been known on the official forums for a while.

I don't know.. While I liked Kai's music, I also have a soft spot for Jesper Kyd. Why aren't more game companies hiring him??

Hiring Jesper Kyd would probably cost Deep Silver more than the whole development budget for Risen 2!