FO: NV (General Discussion)

it was so long ago that I had played Wasteland, I don't remember how Las Vegas was depicted in that game :p but I do remember that the game itself looked (err, sounded rather than looked I guess) very much like F1

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

the majority of players don't give a damn about companions, I didn't even realize they had quests. I see them as mules, nothing more.

You must be a lonely man in the wasteland aren't you... and to say that the majority of players would be like you...nah, I think you have no idea what the "majority" of players think.

Edited by yoomazir

Fallout is supposed to be part silly and ridicilous, its what makes it what it is. I love the Stalker games and Metro 2033 just as much but I wouldnt want that kind of dystopia in Fallout, it would kill the whole mood

And I like the companions but I dont know what triggers their quests. It would be easier if it was level-based like in BioWare games, now I dont really know if I will ever get the chance to play them

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Haha, first good looking character mod.

Fallout is supposed to be part silly and ridicilous, its what makes it what it is.

Fallout (1) never has been silly and ridiculous and never was intended to be.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All NMA lies, Fallout 1 was plenty silly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

To be honest, yeah, Fallout 1 was humorous too, but it was a different kind of humor from Fallout 2, and most of the post-apocalypse tropes were actually played straight.

That said, I'd say that Fallout New Vegas lies somewhat in between the original two, while Fallout 3 tried to recapture Fallout 1's atmosphere but ended up hampered by some really bad world building and writing.

btw, am I right to suspect, that fallout wiki completely ignores Tactics? the game's story isn't considered to be part of the canon by the community?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

btw, am I right to suspect, that fallout wiki completely ignores Tactics? the game's story isn't considered to be part of the canon by the community?

The Fallout Wiki doesn't ignore Tactics, not at all. The game has plenty of meticulously written entries, heck, even Fallout:PoS has a lot of articles there. Since the game got the aesthetic wrong and gets only minor references in Fallout 3, the Wiki's stance on it is that the main events of the game are considered canon, but not the details.

The Fallout Wiki doesn't ignore Tactics, not at all.

well, I just checked the general timeline, and not a single event from Tactics is mentioned. but events and characters from Van Buren are included.

Walsingham said:

Ok, I'm pretty far into the game, and I'm quite blown away by it. It really comes down to the choice and consequence. Obsidian is simply a master at giving me multiple choices that all seem somewhat decent. This is a far cry from the Bioware model, which is basically be good/be a jerk. I enjoy Bioware's games because I get to be a save the world hero, but Obsidian is going much deeper with choice and consequence.

They did the same thing with Alpha Protocol. If you haven't listened to the Zero Punctuation Review of AP, he basically says Obsidian is showing off with the sheer amount of consequences to every one of your actions. They continue this on an even larger scale with FO:NV.

So basically I'm saying it is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Now I am not the type who cares about gameplay or glitches or inventory management or whatever. I care about story, character development, choice, and consequences. FO:NV possesses those in spades.

If you are on the fence because of concerns over bugs, get off it. Bugs are short term, they will get fixed, and the game is worth working around them a bit. Knock on wood, I've actually had zero issues with the game. It is brilliant.

Haha, first good looking character mod.

Fallout is supposed to be part silly and ridicilous, its what makes it what it is.

Fallout (1) never has been silly and ridiculous and never was intended to be.

Fallout 1 is silly from the opening video with silly dark humor before Perlman starts talking. The leather jacket is a nod to Road Warrior, and there's even easter eggs regarding it when talking to the Raider leader.

FO1 is probably the most serious of the games, but there's no mistaking that it still had its fair share of silliness in it.

Hey, you know how everyone talks about how good games were in the old days? This game is kind of like that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Remenber back in 2010 when FNV came out? That was a proper game, not like the Farmville 3000 you youngsters are playing these days." *lights pipe*

New Vegas needs Area 51 DLC. Vault 51

New Vegas needs Area 51 DLC.

Yes. A thousand times yes. It's also so obvious, I hope you're not the first one to mention it :)

I've seen a "majority of players" and a "majority of writers" totally pulled from the ass in one day. Just thought I should mention it.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Cleveland is ideal if FO4 will be set in Chicago (which it will probably be). It's a bit too far off from NV.

Fallout New Vegas: the Top, set in Topeka, Kansas; now that would be ideal. Or hell, just take the setting to Mexico.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

actually, New Vegas gave us a new perspective on the Northern branch. this is exactly what Veronica talks about.

Walsingham said:

I just finished my first play-through of FO-NW, or rather I got to the final battle and lost interest, a lot of high points before that though. I'll give it a 8/10.

Apart from the bugs, and critical 'all save game wiping' bugs are pretty horrible to have in a final release...

I never managed to find enough cards to play caravan, at one time I even saw 4 full decks on a table and I couldn't pick 'em up.. I like poker so much more than blackjack, and why couldn't you play some of the major NPCs and let the outcome decide something important. Lost opportunity there.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Fallout 1 is silly from the opening video with silly dark humor before Perlman starts talking. The leather jacket is a nod to Road Warrior, and there's even easter eggs regarding it when talking to the Raider leader.

FO1 is probably the most serious of the games, but there's no mistaking that it still had its fair share of silliness in it.

So the opening video, a leather jacket reference and ron perlmans narration is enough to call the game "silly and ridiculous"?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Post apocalyptic zeerust is serious business.