FO: NV (General Discussion)

Having never played Fallout3, I did not realize GECK was essentially the same editor as the one from Morrowind. I mean, I'm sure it's somehow different, but from a user standpoint it feels pretty similar. I hope over the next six months some intrepid souls will make some interesting mods...something beyond color & stat editing and PoV/FoV & houses that most people do.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If I ever get motivated (fat chance) I'll work on a Seven Samurai ripoff.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I always wanted a 3D editor based on a shooter to be able to make a small Fallout game. and then BAM, F3's mod tool - the GECK - gets announced, and I'm all hyped up! when it came out, I downloaded it... and yeah, it's just like Morrowind's. except, I couldn't make heads or tails out of Morrowind's Construction Set :) GECK was no exception. I'm probably just too dumb, but I'll be damned if I managed to make a single house... damn, I hate it when developers don't give any easy to comprehend tutorials along with their tools.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

@sorophx I was able to make houses/caves/items w/NPC's etc. and plop them into the MW, but serious scripting for making a whole new quest area or something was beyond me. The other problem was the editor tends to be so resource-hoggy that it became frustrating. :) I'd hope that my rig could handle it better now, but I figure the editor has become more hoggy as well, so could be a wash. LOL

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well, there's also the fact that GECK wouldn't work for me. any kind of action would just make it crash.

but hey, in my eyes you're a modding god right now since you know so much more than I do, with all my motivation (been waiting for a good tool since 1999)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Toolkits like GECK are always rubbish to actually build stuff in. What you do is create a house, gun or whatever in 3Ds Max, import that into the editor and place it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

oh man, last time I touched 3dsmax was 15 years ago, when I was still into graphics, when it was new. now I just want a bunch of ready models to put on a map and populate the whole place

Walsingham said:

I'm sure I'm late to the party, but that's because I don't have F:NV yet.

1.4 million in first week USA, more UK sales than FO3?

Feargie got done slam dunk!

Wow, first week, and US only? Congrats Obsidian! Hope you guys get fat royalties so you mebbe can finance a small project on your own.

Edited by Morgoth

For a while I left the 'Kill Cam' feature on, because it could actually provide useful feedback in itself - you know that when it's triggered, you're no longer being targeted by enemies and combat is truly over.

I was happy to finally turn it off last night. Boone and ED-E, combined with a Charisma of 10*, make for one heck of a kill squad, and combat is a breeze insofar as I even notice it. I pretty much let them handle the bad guys, and pump all my skill points into the 'Good Natured' pool of skills.

*Apparently there's something called 'Nerve' in FO:NV, a Charisma-derived statistic that increases the damage or armor of companions. I couldn't find any indication of the mechanic in the manual or the interface, so who knows how it scales or whether 'Nerve' provides percentile or flat bonuses. If anyone has this information, I'd be much obliged!

A dull boy.

Rented a room at the Vault 21 hotel, went to sleep for a few hours.

Woke up to 3 men in the room, one sleeping on the other bed, the other one using the computer, and the other one just walking around.

WHAT??????

falloutnv20101028165600.png

falloutnv20101028165549.png

WHOSE ROOM DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS IS?????

Edited by taviow

Does the game "time played" clock still run even when you hit ESC/pause the game? Because there's no way I've played for over 51 hours. :ermm: Maybe 30ish at most. But I do have this habit of hitting ESC and walking away from the PC for long periods of time.

Does the game "time played" clock still run even when you hit ESC/pause the game? Because there's no way I've played for over 51 hours. :ermm: Maybe 30ish at most. But I do have this habit of hitting ESC and walking away from the PC for long periods of time.

The Steam clock should still be running, but the save file clock should not. Steam tells me that I have around 31 hours logged, but my save file shows closer to 24-25 hours.

Does Steam clock work if you're offline? I don't think I see a Steam clock number.

Anyway, strange. Had the game 7 days, a couple days I played 6-7 hours but the rest more like 4, so it shouldn't be more than 35ish.

Only 100K on PC. Shame on you pirates. But yeah, VGChartz probably has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: I wonder if that counts on-line sales anyway.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The Steam clock should still be running, but the save file clock should not. Steam tells me that I have around 31 hours logged, but my save file shows closer to 24-25 hours.

Well, I tested it. The save file clock does continue to run in ESC/pause mode. At least I know I'm not completely losing track of time, then! >_<

Loaded up the last save game (left side), immediately hit ESC, went away, came back, hit ESC to re-enter the game then saved to a new slot (right side)

falloutNV-023.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson

Oh yeah. I finally encountered the floating deputy beagle last night.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."