FO: NV (General Discussion)

Heh, giving ya back all the silly stuff that you miss sooo much from Fallout 3. Which means:

- a stealth suit that works like a cheat-armor

- a nucular catapult with lotta damage

- punny railway rifles

- freeze ray (I think it was kicked out of the game? Imagine!)

- every other stupid little thing that I am too lazy now to mention... huh.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Making good use of RACE, and I've got a selection of 120 songs, including Mark Morgan's FO2 remasters and the Aphex Twin ambient pieces that inspired them in the first place. Beats hearing "Jingle Jangle Jingle" for the 400th time.

I guess you can PM me if you're interested.

Only thing I can find is Revised Code of Washington, but that seems wholly irrelevant to a laser Tommygun in Vegas.

Maybe it's the initials of some setting equivalent of John T. Thompson.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Does someone know when it is effective to use a minigun? Somehow both, the normal and the Avenger are pretty weak in FNV. They weight a lot, need lots of ammo and their damage is not high enough to be any effective in late-game. Using it in the beginning of the game is way too expensive, because of the big ammounts of ammo you need.

As far as I can see, using a light machine gun is way more effective in every situation. It doesn't weight as much, doesn't need that much ammo, has a higher DAM output, etc. etc. And as far as my experience goes, you can buy a LMG, in the moment, you could buy lots of 5mm ammo... so there is absolutly no need to ever use a minigun.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Got my copy from the UK today, sent 20th October - 25th was a public holiday in NZ so considering that it's not too bad.

Run setup. Steam tries to autoupdate. Thinks it doesn't exist *after* it downloads update. Manually login. Login takes 3 minutes. Popup ad. All in all much better than the crapfest a few years ago, but we'll see.

Yeah, people whine about GfWL, but at least it continues loading the game even if it fails to login. Steam forces me to wait on their atrociously slow servers every time I want to start up my SINGLE PLAYER GAME. ****ing annoying.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Steam definitely seems better than when I tried it for the Orange Box.

If you're in offline mode it still pops up the "connecting to your account" box for several seconds before Steam window actually loads (I don't have it run at bootup) but it's really not. I've unplugged the internet cable and it still pops up. :thumbsup: There's no delay in offline mode for starting/loading actual game. But you can't talk to ppl/do steam achievements etc. then of course.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2+ hours later I'm still downloading the patch. I don't know if it's the size of the patch (which, typically, doesn't show up in Steam displays, so I don't know) or Steam being an arse. ETW did this too, but then TW patches were always ginormous.

I don't know what your connection speed is, but IIRC the patch was around 18MB, so not too big. But I could be remembering wrong.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know what your connection speed is, but IIRC the patch was around 18MB, so not too big. But I could be remembering wrong.

Yeah. It took me less than 10 seconds, so something murky's definitely afoot with Tigranes' patch.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Maybe I'm confused because it was two patches, I think I got them separately. At any rate a higher speed connection would make short work of it.

------------------

P.S. And thanks once more to Obsidian for making a game that's made me stay up late, lose sleep, and ignore my spouse again. If we get divorced in the next couple months, it's all your fault. Not mine, of course not. :thumbsup:

Edited by LadyCrimson

next couple of months? you plan to play NV for that long?

heh, reminded me of a guy I used to know, he played Daggerfall for 1 year without taking big breaks

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Fiddled with the tutorial for half an hour, I actually like what they did with the music so far. Looks good.

Oh yeah, I must say that the person recommending turning off the radio and just go with the ambient sounds was right. The game is so much better without Johnny Guitar twenty times per hour. And I've learnt to appreciate the radio so much more when the only times I hear it is when I wander upon one in the middle of the wasteland. It's kind of soothing to stop for a while to listen to the news (which is also on a two minute repeat, it seems). Once in a while they do change though.. it's nice.

next couple of months? you plan to play NV for that long?

heh, reminded me of a guy I used to know, he played Daggerfall for 1 year without taking big breaks

Well, between my slow daily pace, multiple factions/endings/companions and my silly habit of spending inordinate amounts of time goofing off with dino toys or torturing/testing companions for giggles etc. ...a couple months, yup. :)

A month is more my average for a game now, but in the old days I played many games for 4-6 months before setting aside them for a long while. I'm just one of those folk that when a game especially tickles my fancy for some reason, a couple months is nothing. I'm sure there's still a few here who remember my Kotor2 obsessions. :lol:

Oh yeah, I must say that the person recommending turning off the radio and just go with the ambient sounds was right. The game is so much better without Johnny Guitar twenty times per hour. And I've learnt to appreciate the radio so much more when the only times I hear it is when I wander upon one in the middle of the wasteland. It's kind of soothing to stop for a while to listen to the news (which is also on a two minute repeat, it seems). Once in a while they do change though.. it's nice.

So are you unable to hear those ambient sounds even with the radio volume turned really low? I can still hear them above the music. Creaky metal, footsteps, wind, and so on. To me it was like walking around with headphones around your neck instead of over your ears. But I did turn the music off simply for being repetitious. :shifty:

No, I could always hear them. But when they are the only sound you hear, you kind of focus on them a lot more. And I appreciate the multitude of sounds the wasteland offers when you really listen. I think the sound guys did a great job.

Does anyone know how to get the game to use the Fallout 1 and 2 songs? I hear they're in there somewhere and sometimes an old classic seems to pop up as ambient music(non radio)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Does anyone know how to get the game to use the Fallout 1 and 2 songs? I hear they're in there somewhere and sometimes an old classic seems to pop up as ambient music(non radio)

Huh? The game already uses plenty of them as music for various locations. I think that the music that plays at the Cathedral is played at Jacobstown for example (nice touch and appropriate...not so appropriate when it played in another locations that had no connections to the mutants).