FO: NV (General Discussion)

The Pipboy is the single worst RPG interface in the last 5 years, at least. It's even worse than Oblivion, in that at least that one didn't lag and flicker and jolt every other time you opened it. Seriously, it's FOUR CLICKS to turn on/off the radio, four + scroll for a stimpack. You don't even have to change the whole thing. Just let people map I to pipboy inventory, M to map, etc. Maybe Obsidian didn't have time but I can't believe some people give this one a free pass, it's like saying King's Bounty had a good story.

That's true. I haven't seen a worse interface as far as I can remember. Its lazy not to change it (completely), although its possible Bethesda wouldn't allow it.

The other major flaw of the game are the possible human companions. They suck and are not up to the usual Obsidian level.

Those are the faults (apart from the bugs and instability) that I attribute to Obsidian in FNV.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

And oh, as I thought, I just added +1 points to my Luck and I'm pretty deadly with Guns now. I don't really see why Luck should play such a huge factor in hitting/damaging a target when your actual gun skill is already so high, but ok.

It increases the critical hit percentage. Depending on the weapon, it can change odds.

For a sniper build, I use to favorise as much Luck as Perception.

my sniper had a Luck of 3 and every second hit was a critical, does this mean that *every single* hit by you is a critical then?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The only weapon that always crits is the alien blaster.

10 luck = 50% critical chance with sniper rifle or ratslayer. Note that Finesse perk corresponds with an increase of 5 in luck, raising it to 75%.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

oh, right, I had Finesse and Boone's beret.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I lost Boone, so I went back looking for him. Turns out he's stuck in an infinite reloading loop.

It looks like he's playing guitar on his shotgun lol. Wish I could make a video of that.

Edited by Pope

I lose my NPCs all the time, if it wasnt for the console I wouldnt have completed any of their quests because theyd be stuck in rocks or just plain missing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, I had ED-E lock onto a rad scorpion that had fallen through the earth except for the tip of its tail. ED-E would see that and his combat music would start but the scorpion couldnt be targeted, so ED-E would just hover over it. Every time I interfaced with ED-E and told him to follow he would follow for one second then lock back on the scorpion. *reload and lose an hour*

Usually if you move away from an enemy, your companions will follow you, albeit slowly, until they too are out of range.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think the game cheats, so if a companion gets stuck somewhere they are teleported to your location when you're not looking. I know I've never lost a companion (except for when I've told ED-E to stay still and forgot to tell him to come with me when I've moved on) and I've been extremely careless with them.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Theyre supposed to "warp" to your position if you leave them behind, but that doesnt work all the time. Just yesterday I turned around to find Boone wasnt there anymore, I used the console to teleport to his position and found that he was below the map in Freeside, so I spawned him to me instead and that worked.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

my sniper had a Luck of 3 and every second hit was a critical, does this mean that *every single* hit by you is a critical then?

It means that you're overstating how frequently you got critical hits, or have other gear.

Unless you're counting the sneak attack which is always a critical hit.

EDIT: Virumor, isn't it 1% crit chance per luck?

Edited by Thorton_AP

Let's not forget that headshots have a higher crit chance, as does VATS.

I do always aim for the head, so yeah, that's why I'm getting all the criticals, never use VATS though. the point I was trying to make: Luck is still useless, even for a sniper (who should be crouching while shooting anyway).

Walsingham said:

Luck isn't useless IMO.

It's a ton of fun and very handy at the beginning of the game especially. What weapon are you using? If you have time to crouch and pick people off in the head without VATS with ease, my guess is you're getting sneak attacks.

If you find luck useless though, then why did you take perks (and wear a helmet) that effectively improves your luck in combat? Because that's all you did.

why did you take perks (and wear a helmet) that effectively improves your luck in combat? Because that's all you did.

because I didn't see it that way :ermm: it says +5 critical chance, not +5 luck in the description.

point is, if I can get away with 3 luck, and only using one piece of gear (head, where you don't get anything useful 'til endgame anyway) can get steady criticals, what's the point of having a high luck and sacrificing END or PER?

Walsingham said:

I lose my NPCs all the time, if it wasnt for the console I wouldnt have completed any of their quests because theyd be stuck in rocks or just plain missing.

What's the command for teleporting companions next tp you?

prid (reference id) <-- to select the npc. to select Boone you would type prid 00096bce

moveto player

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_console_commands

There is also another article with FNV specific commands, for adjusting faction relations etc.

Outside of sneak attacks, Luck has a big effect on criticals, specifically with a weapon with a big critical multiplier.

You can effectively head shot and score more criticals against a close opponent.

Luck also affects all the skills and gambling luck.

To me, it's far better than agility.

Ex : you use a sniper rifle with x5 crit.

With 5 luck and the berret, you have 10 base crit, thus 50% of critical strike.

With 10 luck and the berret, that's 15 base crit and thus 75% of critical strike.

Edited by Orchomene

Agility effects weapon draw and reload speed.

Luck also affects all the skills and gambling luck.

ALL the skills? in what way? raises them like INT does science? as or the headshots in close quarters - never had a situation like this, one sneak attack is usually enough to kill or at least put an enemy in a near-death state. now, shots to limbs might be useful when fighting multiple enemies.

AGI also affects running speed, I think.

Walsingham said:

Yeah, I noticed that with Luck, the adding to all skills, when I raised it by 1 using Intense Training. It's a tiny amount tho, so if you're talking about 5 Luck vs. 7 Luck, it doesn't make a huge difference, especially if you have a high INT. But I've become a big fan of Luck myself. I have it at 8 (plus Boone's hat) and everything has felt a lot easier than when I had it atl 5. I don't even have Finesse yet. I'm not sure if it's more criticals or something harder to define, but it's been very satisfactory. It seems to help me a lot in tight spaces/close fights where it's very hard to accurately aim & shoot w/short distances (since I try very hard not to use VATS, too). Or I let Boone do it. :ermm:

As a sniper sort, I put STR at 4 because there's that Perk that lowers weapon requirements by 2, so I can still (eventually) use the Sniper Rifle, and I could raise it by 1 w/ IT if I wanted (I decided not to, yet). I have 4 END and it's been just fine.

I've heard that Agility might also affect run speed a little. Do you know if that's true, or was that for FO3 and changed to not be, in NV?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts