FO: NV (General Discussion)

The mouse and movement lag that's inherent to the damn engine is what makes real time shooting annoying. You cant strafe or move fast enough to really play it like a shooter.

Can't speak for your game but I don't have any mouse/combat lag. It's not about my own speed but rather that they move faster than my brain can even process information to direct my arm/hand. Enemies with guns usually aren't too bad even close up because they have to stand still more often to shoot/throw, but melee is tougher, in close quarters (like vaults or caves).

Uploaded video example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaSyl9dAS18

The big guy running to me, my brain is going like "ok point to the left, wait no to the right, no to the left" as he moves before I can even move the mouse. ;) That's on FRAPS enforced 40fps too, at my more average 60-80fps he moves even a tiny bit faster. If the guy had been, say, a DeathClaw, or a pack of those orange dogs w/lizard like heads, I'd be dead.

But it's generally pretty easy to one-shot-kill everything, at least on Normal/Hardcore difficulty. Ratslayer for lesser enemies, hunting rifle for radscorpions & deathclaws, and the sniper rifle/AM rifle for the really big ones.

Yeah, I started on Normal and after a bit the sniping became so easy I bumped it to Very Hard. The sniping is still fairly easy (crits don't always take them down in one or two shots unless crouched) but I can no longer survive many hits from most things of or above my level like I could in Normal. Sometimes only 2 hits. So I can't aim/shoot/kill fast enough before they're on top of me and I'm done. heh (pps...at such speeds I tend to panic after a few seconds which doesn't help, either, lol)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeehaw, Hell Yeah! ;)

Just finished my first playthrough, loved every little detail.

Can't wait to play another open-world game made by Obsidian.

Hopefully it will be Fallout, but if not, maybe New Vegas team will use their experience to create something new, possibly using Onyx.

Edited by PoetAndMadman

I like this game because it feels sand-boxy. I might miss out on quests and conversations by killing certain factions but I'm not breaking the game. I'm assaulting the correctional facility at the moment because my chaotic neutral charmer-gunslinger doesn't like the cut of the power-gangers gib. I'm killing named NPCs but... so what?

It's the antithesis of some of the stuff I had to put up with in Dragon Age.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've been noticing a lot lately that even if you target an enemy in VATS with 95% accuracy, the enemy can still move out of the way during the shooting animation, leading to a miss.

I don't remember this from FO3. Is this another intended change to VATS? It's pretty annoying when this happens when you're trying to cripple the legs of rampaging deathclaws.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Or it could be that 5%?

I can never see what's going on in VATS anyway due to the idiotic camera, so I don't know.

Or it could be that 5%?

I can never see what's going on in VATS anyway due to the idiotic camera, so I don't know.

I've usually had it when trying to target multiple enemies melee enemies. They'll get tangled up in front of me and the one I'm targeting will end up behind another causing all of my shots to hit the target in front, usually doing minimal damage. :/

Try turning on VATS just before someone disappears through a doorway. The target will keep moving and disappear while you shoot the wall instead.

Anyone knew that some songs on New Vegas Radio were performed by J.E. Sawyer?

I;m talking about Streets of New Reno and New Vegas Valley.

I just read it on The Vault and was quite suprised. :)

Pretty cool voice mr. Sawyer! :)

...wtf?

That is nice indeed!

When I get attacked by something fast moving and I am slow and tired, I turn on VATS. But sometimes it seems the creature has jumped too close to me and I miss because my enemy's model is inside my own (even though it says 95% on every part of the enemy's body)! So it looks like my rifle is sticking out of the enemy's butt and I keep shooting out into thin air. That annoys me to no end.

And I hate the hitboxes around objects. If I can see it, I should be able to shoot it. END. OF. STORY. Would it be so difficult to implement a ray traced hit calculation algorithm? Yes, there are polygons between me and my target, but they are transparent, so let me shoot the bastard.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I can see it, I should be able to shoot it. END. OF. STORY.

that annoyed the hell out of me :) I'd always have to find a spot without any obstacles between me and the target. usually it resulted in me being detected

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The mouse and movement lag that's inherent to the damn engine is what makes real time shooting annoying. You cant strafe or move fast enough to really play it like a shooter.

Can't speak for your game but I don't have any mouse/combat lag. It's not about my own speed but rather that they move faster than my brain can even process information to direct my arm/hand. Enemies with guns usually aren't too bad even close up because they have to stand still more often to shoot/throw, but melee is tougher, in close quarters (like vaults or caves).

Its not lag specifically, I can play Unreal Tournament at max speed all day and do fine - its the character and crosshairs in FNV and F3 that move too slowly and sluggishly to really target efficiently. In a good shooter you should be able to glide around and still headshot everything while staying out of reach. If I can do it fine in a hundred other games then something has to be wrong with FNV, no?

Plus aiming has to be pin point accurate at everything beyond the closest range.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I suppose this is how the game justifies having attributes that affect "accuracy" in real-time combat

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, the movement of the character is just too slow to play it as an all out shooter. I guess that has to do with the gaming engine itself? If your character, in this engine, moved as fast as real FPS, I could imagine it being very crazy and sloppy. I guess it's about the best that it can be done, without tearing it down and rebuilding the mechanics.

Anyone knew that some songs on New Vegas Radio were performed by J.E. Sawyer?

I;m talking about Streets of New Reno and New Vegas Valley.

I just read it on The Vault and was quite suprised. :)

Pretty cool voice mr. Sawyer! :)

...wtf?

That is nice indeed!

I had to go to the \Data\Sound\songs\radionv folder and listen to them manually because NVR only plays the same three or four songs over and over

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's what happens when you have Gamebryo, tack on shooting mechanics, tack on a weird "turn-based" system, break the said system in multiple ways, add slowdowns and slow-mo kills, try and balance it all, then spend 5 minutes on PC animations (I mean, just try and jump anywhere complicated). FNV fixed the invulnerability during VATS and such, but it was never going to be able to overhaul.

It's what happens when you have Gamebryo, tack on shooting mechanics, tack on a weird "turn-based" system, break the said system in multiple ways, add slowdowns and slow-mo kills, try and balance it all, then spend 5 minutes on PC animations (I mean, just try and jump anywhere complicated). FNV fixed the invulnerability during VATS and such, but it was never going to be able to overhaul.

Which is why I said from the start that most things that suck about this game are the (unfixable) flaws of Fallout 3. Really, its gameplay was about as user firendly as Tomb Raider 1.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

After experiencing Veronica's exploits during my time with her in the game, I am tempted to do an unarmed build on a next run. From the perk list for unarmed + the long list of overpowered unarmed weapons (Pushy, ballistic fist) it seems ridiculously overpowered and way more effective than guns.

Plus a combination of high STR, light armour & decent agility should make a character move much faster. Especially since you only have to carry around stimpaks (which have no weight for some reason) and no ammo.

Yeah, the movement of the character is just too slow to play it as an all out shooter. I guess that has to do with the gaming engine itself? If your character, in this engine, moved as fast as real FPS, I could imagine it being very crazy and sloppy. I guess it's about the best that it can be done, without tearing it down and rebuilding the mechanics.

Characters moved much faster in Oblivion, though stil not super fast. The slow speed is obviously a balance mechanic fo some sort, though a weird one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

In Oblivion, characters with 100 speed and 100 athletics moved very fast, actually. With 100 in heavy armour, it wouldn't even slow you down anymore. In Morrowind, I had characters with 700 Speed (game would crash around 1000 speed or so).

Armour in FO:NV slows you down so much that it's just not worth wearing, beyond looking cool. Reinforced leather already has a higher DT than pistols and a lot of energy weapons... not to mention weapons of high-level enemies like brush guns & ballistic fists can easily pierce through power armour anyway.

Edited by virumor

A decent ranged build and you don't need to run a lot in combat. So all these complaints about it being too slow (too slow for what?) boggle my mind. Heck, you can still kite melee enemies. I did that while running around in heavy armor.

And considering that a rather sizeable portion of the game's combat are firefights, the heavier armor is only a benefit. Ballistic fists are a problem, but that's about it. I tangoed with those guys while using a Thermic Lance.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A decent ranged build and you don't need to run a lot in combat. So all these complaints about it being too slow (too slow for what?) boggle my mind. Heck, you can still kite melee enemies. I did that while running around in heavy armor.

I'm not complaining per se. AT least in FO3, all npcs are equally slow so its not really a problem. ANd the speed of high level enemies is one of the biggest things that makes them dangerous. It's just an odd mechanic that makes me feel like my character is running through syrup. If you only play FO3 for a whiole, the speed becomes normalized though and I sorta stop noticing.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, it feels slow. I'll play a Scout in TF2, then load up New Vegas and it'll take 10 minutes to adjust. But it doesn't exactly hinder you.

Reinforced leather already has a higher DT than pistols and a lot of energy weapons

???

The DT of Reinforced Leather is 10, and the only energy weapons that doesn't exceed that are the recharger, gatling laser, and pulse gun. Every pistol except the .22 Silenced is able to exceed that as well.

Silenced .22 has to be the worst gun in the game. I was getting shield icons shooting at guys in clothes.