Mass Effect 2 Discussion

Pidesco

One thing that's been a minor annoyance for me -- during dialogue with various party members, some of them speak with a very Sean Connery-esque way of pronouncing any word with the letter 'S' in it. I'm not sure if it's my television speakers, a bad Mass Effect 2 disc, or what, but it's breaking my immersion in the conversation when the character sounds like they're whistling/echoing whenever trying to pronounce the 'S' sound.

It's even more annoying since I seem to be the only one that experiences it!

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

NO

I want them to use a license that's worth a damn instead of wasting resources on building their own worlds. There are at least two decades of PnP role playing completely ignored by cRPG devs. If the want sci fi, why not Fading Suns... or a Dune RPG?

That's a negative. Dune(I don't think it would make a good RPG) I might accept, but any other PnP is a hell no. Honestly if they want to use a sci fi licence, they should go with, ST, Firefly, Battlestar, Stargate etc. Or if they are in a really kind mood Wing Commander(Which EA owns).

ME universe > overrated dune

'Nough said.

Let's not go crazy. Let's see what happening with the ME universe in 20 yrs.

I'd say it's almost exactly like Star Trek. They just needed Kaiden to wear a red shirt and it would be a dead ringer. I do think Geth sounds better than Borg.

Nah Trek is far more geeky, with far more cheese and bigger words. (And superior)Also it would be more appropriate to compare the Borg with Reapers. :ermm:

I don't hate it. I've had my fun with it, and its on a shelf now where its gonna do a good job of collecting dust.

That's the kind of fire and forget fun the game offers and I was aware of it when I bought it.

Like I said, its a very good game.

I'm bashing the undeserved legendary status that some people and the press are so keen to award it with.

Afraid it does deserve it's status, far more then say BG.

I'd rather see some other licensed material, WoD in particular.

I do not want to see that. Bio and WoD = Twilight rpg.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

reapers are a really lame villain, the necrons from warhammer 40k are the same but even they are slightly more interesting.

mass effect 2 was really damn fun anyway.

good villains where oh where have you gone....

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

They just don't make them like they used to...

zorglub.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The ignorant Americans don`t know about Zorglub.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They just don't make them like they used to...

zorglub.jpg

The ignorant Americans don`t know about Zorglub.

Hahahahahaha. +1

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I don't hate it. I've had my fun with it, and its on a shelf now where its gonna do a good job of collecting dust.

That's the kind of fire and forget fun the game offers and I was aware of it when I bought it.

Like I said, its a very good game.

I'm bashing the undeserved legendary status that some people and the press are so keen to award it with.

Afraid it does deserve it's status, far more then say BG.

If you have a case, make it. I can give ten reasons of the top of my head why BG deserves its status and ME doesn't, and not one of them has anything to do with which of the two games I prefer.

But since you don't have a case and just want to provoke a response, you might want to go to Volo and get your troll membership card first.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I sense a schism developing amongst Bioware's fans, perhaps we will witness the first game crusade. :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There are three things I do not like about ME2.

1. Thermal Clips

Can't help you with the others, but take a look:

http://www.annakie.com/me/mods.htm

^doesn't do away with thermal clips, but makes them into, well, actual functional heatsinks (what they are supposed to be), that dissipate heat and only need to be ejected if you shoot too much too fast.

That Cerberus assault armor is truly fugly... just like the other DLC armors. Bravo, Bioware.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I sense a schism developing amongst Bioware's fans, perhaps we will witness the first game crusade. :)

You missed the 16 Bit Wars back in the 90s?

I'm only 21 and I only had Internet for the last 4 years. So, yeah I missed it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Why didn't they just call them batteries?

Because discarding batteries left and right sends the wrong message to the kids about recycling.

@Oro: Woah, that like only being alive for the last 4 years. Crazy.

Edited by Purkake

Kiddin' right? Your eyes must be failing you if you think she can pass for a 'hot 20 soemthing'. 20 soemthings - espciially hot ones - don't look like her. She's not anicent but she's not young either.

take away hair color and voice and nothing 'bout chakwas would suggest older than 20s. no crow's feet or lines on face to suggest age. no saggy bosom. is visually nothing that suggest age other hair color.

as for somebody suggesting that all the burnouts and psychos is typical or reasonable for a suicide mission, am gonna have to disagree. take a look at how special forces units is screened and recruited. stable family men is much preferred as having a life beyond the unit gives those guys something tangible to fight for, and a built-in support group to keeps 'em grounded.

psychotic but brilliant

v.

competent and stable

how much you trust the psycho to have your back? build an entire unit o' unstable and untrustworthy? that is indeed a recipe for a suicide mission.

drama is important. is understandable that bio chose to populate the new normandy with characters that were to face and overcome serious personal obstacles. such characters is Dramatic characters. drama is better than boring. even so, the number o' crew members who were having to deal with a potential suicide mission AND daddy/family issues or childhood traumas were staggering. Gromnir could recruit solely from ACoA members lists and chances are we wouldn't have been able to put together a more damaged bunch o' future effexor junkies if we tried.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

take away hair color and voice and nothing 'bout chakwas would suggest older than 20s. no crow's feet or lines on face to suggest age. no saggy bosom. is visually nothing that suggest age other hair color.

The resolution on your screen must be very low, I feel for you. :)

village_idiot.gif

as for somebody suggesting that all the burnouts and psychos is typical or reasonable for a suicide mission, am gonna have to disagree. take a look at how special forces units is screened and recruited. stable family men is much preferred as having a life beyond the unit gives those guys something tangible to fight for, and a built-in support group to keeps 'em grounded.

psychotic but brilliant

v.

competent and stable

how much you trust the psycho to have your back? build an entire unit o' unstable and untrustworthy? that is indeed a recipe for a suicide mission.

drama is important. is understandable that bio chose to populate the new normandy with characters that were to face and overcome serious personal obstacles. such characters is Dramatic characters. drama is better than boring. even so, the number o' crew members who were having to deal with a potential suicide mission AND daddy/family issues or childhood traumas were staggering. Gromnir could recruit solely from ACoA members lists and chances are we wouldn't have been able to put together a more damaged bunch o' future effexor junkies if we tried.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah but the point is special forces groups , while willing to do the odd suicide mission, aren't designed for suicide missions. They're meant to do the mission and get out alive. Remaining capable of performing further missions. Unconventional warfare does not equal suicide missions..

o O (But also, throw in the whole cinematic style. How can you not see the shiney aspects of The Dirty Dozen in that? :) A bunch of competent, slightly deranged and creative, out of the box people.. )

The point wasn't so much burnouts and psychoes for the team... Just that the odds of people in that frame of "brilliantly violent, and willing to do a suicide mission" means there's going to be a few personal issues, baseline stable wasn't really a big point. Just because most of the persona issues in ME2 were family related...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

reapers are a really lame villain, the necrons from warhammer 40k are the same but even they are slightly more interesting.

mass effect 2 was really damn fun anyway.

ain't nothing wrong with reapers as a villains... but lack of development really hampered me2. a remote and enigmatic Villain is problematic in a crpg precisely because the protagonist must be written to accommodate a range of player styles. you can play shep as renegade or paragon and it not genuine alter Big Picture of me1 or me2 story. no writer of movie scripts or novels would ever seek o write a heroic story wherein the protagonist were vague. nevertheless, bio goes even further by leaving the villain vague? why?

at the end o' me1, shep faces a galaxy shaking conflict involving a rogue spectre, a geth fleet and sovereign, the forerunner of the reapers. if you not stop saren and sovereign, the reapers emerge en masse from dark space and all sentient life in the galaxy can pretty much kiss their arses goodbye. by comparison, me2 climax involves a somewhat perplexing confrontation with the collectors and a half-baked human-reaper hybrid.

harbinger, speaking through the collector general, gave us some insights into the reapers and their plan for humanity. remote and enigmatic menace. ooh... spooky.

*shrug*

particularly as we had already confronted a reaper in me1, the collector threat didn't seem near as threatening. even worse, the collectors simply existed... no personality or emotion. boring. bio spends sooooo much effort creating drama for the normandy crew but they forgets to create any drama for their me2 villains. is a mistake... a big mistake.

is not that the reapers suck... is that they were not developed.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I love how the

sounds way better than what they had in ME1's club. Not to mention the entire Afterlife area was overall really well done.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ah but the point is special forces groups , while willing to do the odd suicide mission, aren't designed for suicide missions. They're meant to do the mission and get out alive. Remaining capable of performing further missions. Unconventional warfare does not equal suicide missions..
And yet it's perfectly possible to complete the suicide mission with ZERO casualties... and it's not even that hard to pull.

TIM: "No need to recruit so many lunatics, Shepard. This isn't really Mission Impossible. More like Mission Difficult, actually"

But then again, it's TIM you get the dossiers from. For such a control freak, he sure likes to introduce unpredictable elements into his ops.

I think the designers tried a bit too hard to create a "dark and edgy" feel. Aria is dark and edgy done just right, SuZe is dark and edgy overboard. Wish I could have recruited Aria in place of Samara.

particularly as we had already confronted a reaper in me1, the collector threat didn't seem near as threatening. even worse, the collectors simply existed... no personality or emotion. boring. bio spends sooooo much effort creating drama for the normandy crew but they forgets to create any drama for their me2 villains. is a mistake... a big mistake.

is not that the reapers suck... is that they were not developed.

Yes, the villain aspect is a step back from ME1. But I'm getting the impression that Bio was simply setting the stage for the "grand finale" in ME3, hence the big focus on personal stories in 2. Which kinda makes it even worse that these stories aren't all that good, and is of course no excuse for having a mediocre central plot.

Whoever wrote Mordin needs to be made lead writer for ME3.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Miranda?

Yes, her face is extremely awkward. I can't stand looking at it, but I can't exactly tell what's wrong.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"