Mass Effect 2 Discussion

Pidesco

Yup, I only used the nuke twice, right at the end of the game.. apart from that, I always found the other heavy weapons more useful. I think I ended up using either the missile launcher or the avalanche cryo blaster most.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, I researched the Nuke-Em Cain before heading to Purgatory.. thought Yeah, I'll give it a try for that.. then ended up running through the whole mission without being able to use the dang thing because it kept flashing 62% at me.. :thumbsup:

If I'd realised that I'd just have taken the missile launcher and had a few moments a bit easier...

oh and its a bit late but that was a good review on page ~37 you posted mr.boo

i agree with pretty much all of it.

imo the game gets bonus points for the incredibly awesome opening cinematic, and the myriad C&C moments (well, we'll see how much consequence really occurs in part 3, but being able to slaughter your whole team via poor decisions and failing to secure the "loyalty" of your crew is pretty damn awesome)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

quick observation: cryo ammo strips biotic barriers

over on the bio boards and elsewhere we seen lots of complaints 'bout cryo ammo being useless. oddly enough, we found cryo ammo very useful. with heavy incinerate to takes down armour, disruption ammo for shields and synthetics, and cryo ammo to reduce asari commandos to mewling bed-wetters, Gromnir's infiltrator were never impotent in any fight. am wondering what others is seeing (or missing) in regards to cryo ammo.

am gonna test out warp ammo this weekend...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hm, I was a little disapointed with the CE... the shiny box was nice.. I did like the art book (but then I like concept art stuff)...

but the Bonus DVD was fairly crappy. about 5 of the character trailers, and the "Behind the Scenes" stuff was more like a compilation of rehashed "interviews" with the usual suspects of Producers, Lead Designers, and a few of the voice actors gushing over ME2 rather then providing any serious behind the scenes look. And I think nearly all of those "interviews" had already been shown in some of the pre-release internet teasers and such.

am gonna have to double check on the cryo and biotic barriers. Gromnir relies very heavily on heavy pistol headshots. is possible that the reason we sees biotic barriers strip away so quick is 'cause o' our weapon choice rather than ammo.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The late-game dialogue checks are... weird. My Jerk/Sap meter is as follows:

ShepStats.jpg

Miranda and Jack fight. I have access to the Intimidate option to settle it, but not the Charm option. Seems normal, given that I've got about 10% more in that column. Later, Tali and Legion fight, and I have the exact opposite-- I can charm them into standing down, but the "red" option is greyed out. There seem to be a lot of threads on the BioBoards about this-- some people with maximum Paragon (mostly xboxers, from what I've seen) aren't able to resolve the fights without picking a side. (Sidenote: the only situations so far that I recall where neither persuasive option has been open have been in resisting Morinth and in convincing the Admirals not to exile Tali in absence of the evidence.)

Is the following in fact true? If so, how can anyone possibly justify it?

After you first meet him, Garrus gets shot up (I know this is true). He goes to the hospital or whatever, and then walks out in his old armor with a big chunk missing. He spends the rest of the game in this armor. UNLESS, of course, you do his loyalty mission, which unlocks a new armor. However, the new armor still has a big hole in it.

Is the following in fact true? If so, how can anyone possibly justify it?

After you first meet him, Garrus gets shot up (I know this is true). He goes to the hospital or whatever, and then walks out in his old armor with a big chunk missing. He spends the rest of the game in this armor. UNLESS, of course, you do his loyalty mission, which unlocks a new armor. However, the new armor still has a big hole in it.

Yeah! WTF?!

How dare he go to the hospital after being shot up? You can't justify that crap.

manthing2.jpg

The late-game dialogue checks are... weird. My Jerk/Sap meter is as follows:

Miranda and Jack fight. I have access to the Intimidate option to settle it, but not the Charm option. Seems normal, given that I've got about 10% more in that column. Later, Tali and Legion fight, and I have the exact opposite-- I can charm them into standing down, but the "red" option is greyed out. There seem to be a lot of threads on the BioBoards about this-- some people with maximum Paragon (mostly xboxers, from what I've seen) aren't able to resolve the fights without picking a side. (Sidenote: the only situations so far that I recall where neither persuasive option has been open have been in resisting Morinth and in convincing the Admirals not to exile Tali in absence of the evidence.)

am playing on xbox. by level 23 our paragon points were already considerable deep into the final fifth o' the paragon meter... didn't have a problem smoothing things over with tali & legion or miranda & jack... "can't we all just get along?" have never faced a greyed-out blue dialogue option during the entirety of the game. conversely, by level 23 we had not come close to filling initial fith of renegade meter. 'course we did export a level 57 character from me1. am recollecting that we started with something close to 190 paragon points and 13 or 15 renegade points.

HA! Good Fun!

Alright, I have a question:

Why is there only one non-squid Reaper? Why is the human Reaper so special? Does it turn into s squid as it "develops"? I mean, seriously, just think about how that would look flying with the others...

Other than that, I loved every minute of it.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Why is there only one non-squid Reaper? Why is the human Reaper so special? Does it turn into s squid as it "develops"? I mean, seriously, just think about how that would look flying with the others...

Two possible speculation theories on my part

1. The Reapers are formed as the "purest" form of a species; a sort of collective conscience.

2. The Reapers are some sort of bodies snatchers.

All of this done in order to grow by sharing the experiences of an entire culture.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

'cause a flying squid makes more sense?

the impression we got were that reaper evolution is a deliberate and calculated process. based on the age of the derelict reaper, the squid reapers has been the norm for a long time, but the reapers is currently initiating the next step in their personal development plans; the reapers is trading up from squid-hybrid to human-hybrid forms.

no doubt the harbinger messages regarding salvation through destruction is genuine. am suspecting that the most successful organic species cannot hope to endure for hundreds of millions of years, but it seems that the reapers has done so. without the intervention of the reapers, humanity will eventually fade away... is inevitable. from a cold and rationale pov, a human-reaper hybrid is a big win for the human species as it insures that some essential aspect o' humanity will achieve relative immortality.

from a story development pov, the aforementioned is actually a very workable premise... save for the fact that the biowarians forgot the most important aspect of a successful crpg story: the villain. the faceless villain shtick may work in a Tolkien novel (and That is a suspect proposition,) but it just won't work in a crpg. cold, distant and enigmatic won't cut it for me3. no doubt we gets more direct reaper involvement in me3, but we thinks that the biowarians made a big mistake by not creating a recognizable villain in me2. a vague sense o' menace is simply not gonna be compelling 'nuff to stand-in for a more fully developed antagonist/villain.

HA! Good Fun!

I feel like maybe that's the role the Illusive Man was supposed to play. Maybe. You're obviously not supposed to trust him, and there was that weird split-second glimpse at the end that suggested he had a hand in the Human Reaper. I agree with you though - the last few Bioware games have had bollocks for villains, IMO. It's a shame, because villains are my favorite part of most games. Or stories of any sort.

Does anyone have a video/screenshot of this infamous split-second glimpse I keep hearing about? It sounds like it probably just a bug, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ioslNR0WiI

Between 1:47 and 1:50.

Also, like Grom I'm playing on 360 with an imported (level 60) character. By the end I had maxed out the paragon meter, only had a few renegade points and no blue options were ever greyed out for me.

Edited by Hell Kitty

'cause a flying squid makes more sense?

the impression we got were that reaper evolution is a deliberate and calculated process. based on the age of the derelict reaper, the squid reapers has been the norm for a long time, but the reapers is currently initiating the next step in their personal development plans; the reapers is trading up from squid-hybrid to human-hybrid forms.

no doubt the harbinger messages regarding salvation through destruction is genuine. am suspecting that the most successful organic species cannot hope to endure for hundreds of millions of years, but it seems that the reapers has done so. without the intervention of the reapers, humanity will eventually fade away... is inevitable. from a cold and rationale pov, a human-reaper hybrid is a big win for the human species as it insures that some essential aspect o' humanity will achieve relative immortality.

from a story development pov, the aforementioned is actually a very workable premise... save for the fact that the biowarians forgot the most important aspect of a successful crpg story: the villain. the faceless villain shtick may work in a Tolkien novel (and That is a suspect proposition,) but it just won't work in a crpg. cold, distant and enigmatic won't cut it for me3. no doubt we gets more direct reaper involvement in me3, but we thinks that the biowarians made a big mistake by not creating a recognizable villain in me2. a vague sense o' menace is simply not gonna be compelling 'nuff to stand-in for a more fully developed antagonist/villain.

HA! Good Fun!

You make a good point, as usual, Grom. I still stand by my belief that overall, Bio games get better and better every release. But creating a compelling, cognizable villain hasn't really been the focus for ME2 or DA, and perhaps something Bio could improve to make their amazing games even better. IMO, Harbiniger really didn't cut it as a lead villain, and neither did Archdemon. Both Harbie and Archie are merely pinnacle representations of the "cold, distant and enigmatic" antagonist organization that you mentioned. That being said, creating a main antagonist as cartoonish as Darth Malak would also be a step backwards. Bio's last great villain was Jon Irenicus, and I'd like to see someone in this sort of vein in the future.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg