Mass Effect 2 Discussion

Pidesco

ME is alot more like Star Trek(and crap like babylon5) than anything else. I dont see any parallels with Dune whatsoever. Also, Dune is super-creepy with all the religious propaganda.

I'm wasn't rooting for elves I was rooting for Bioware to abandon this pedestrian universe they created after ME3 is through. No such luck.

But you wouldnt mind a pedestrian universe like forgotten realms because your dried soul is black and shriveled like a raisin?

Face it, ME is the best and deepest game BioWare have created thus far in every single aspect from setting to gameplay. It may not be wholly perfect, but its the peak of their creative history. Nothing they've released before comes close. And if you mention Baldurs Gate 2 again I will punch you in the face, because its an insult to the glory of ME to compare the two.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

ME universe > overrated dune

'Nough said.

I assume you only read Brian Herbert's expression of hate for his father?

Also, where was the propaganda in Dune ? It seems to be mentioned as more of a tool than anything else. Strange people.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ME is alot more like Star Trek(and crap like babylon5) than anything else. I dont see any parallels with Dune whatsoever. Also, Dune is super-creepy with all the religious propaganda.

The lack of parallels is what makes Dune good and ME pedestrian. I was saying that there are spades of good sci-fi they can use, beyond the lamest examples of space opera that cater to everyone's taste - or lack of it.

But you wouldnt mind a pedestrian universe like forgotten realms because your dried soul is black and shriveled like a raisin?

Forgotten Realms sucks, but it is extremely fleshed out with tons of material. Having a solid backing and a rich universe to pick what you will out of it helped BGII be the game that it was.

Face it, ME is the best and deepest game BioWare have created thus far in every single aspect from setting to gameplay.

:lol: No.

Its not deep on any level, either gameplay or plot wise. Its a very good game at best, propelled to popularity by aggressive marketing and by being available on several platforms, as well as blindly following recent console action game trends and hollywood blockbuster cliche's.

It fails on "glory" of any sort because its like a cheap hoe, trying to please absolutely everyone but most of all the teenage console crowd whose tastes are... debatable. None of this is particularly terrible but it will deny the game the sort of legendary status you seem to believe its entitled to.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

ME is alot more like Star Trek than anything else.
*screams in denial*

I'd say it's almost exactly like Star Trek. They just needed Kaiden to wear a red shirt and it would be a dead ringer. I do think Geth sounds better than Borg.

"There, there - it will all be over soon. "

Nice pic of your fave npc of all time.

"Its a very good game at best"

Yeah, ME is so horrible than even the person who bashes it calls it 'very good'. LMAO

"Face it, ME is the best and deepest game BioWare have created thus far in every single aspect from setting to gameplay. "

Jokin' right? Youa r ejust as bad as Boo is with his Bg series love.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Emo alert! Sory, she has a hero worshipping complex. No way a career military person like the doc would work for cerberus which is basically enemy #1 for the alliance just because she doesn't want to live on a planet. She does it because she was told she had a chance to work for Shepard. Not that I blame her in that regard; but it is hero worship.
Yeah, it's not like high-ranking career military personnel ever defect to the enemy for reasons other than hero-worship! Unthinkable!

She does mention that she doesn't consider herself to be working for Cerberus, but for Shep. Whatever lies she tells herself, however, are of little consequence - at the end of the day she's serving on a Cerberus boat, wearing a Cerberus uniform and working towards Cerberus' goals. Conversely, take Kaidan/Ashley as examples of "hero-worshippers" that aren't quite so casual about abandoning their military careers and going to work for a supremacist fringe organization. For now, at least.

All in all, the retcon they subjected Cerberus to between ME1 and ME2 is pretty awful, and consistency problems like this were bound to arise.

Face it, ME is the best and deepest game BioWare have created thus far in every single aspect from setting to gameplay. It may not be wholly perfect, but its the peak of their creative history.
Unfortunately, their best isn't very good, at least when it comes to shaping and solving the central, defining aspects of the setting. For one, the Reapers and some of the underlying themes related to them are conceptually fine, but the realization is terrible.

*screams in denial*
Search your feelings... you know it to be true.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

ME works as a fairly standard space-opera style universe. It doesn't really try to claim to be some groundhshaking thing in that way. The main thing Bio pushes is the voice acting and trying to do the actions and consequences. Which I think will be sort of hard to say about until you can get the "trilogy" together and played through. Then you can sit down and go "yeah , there were consequences to my actions" or "crapcrapcrap" to the tune of spam.

FR has aspects that were deep. Also that were shallow. It was immensely patchwork after 30 odd years of accumulated pen n paper supplements.. While i enjoyed many aspects of it, the whole "archmage in every town" was a touch annoying. It was like they were put in just for the "in case the GM needs a big stick to hit players with".

Personally, I tended to prefer Dark Sun and Al-Quadim (and yes, I know, technically Al-Quadim was on the same planet as FR). Hell, even Spelljamming was interesting for its little twisting around of conventions.

But I think Bio is taking a break from having to partner up with WoTC and the like at the moment, and trying to experiment with their own worlds..

They haven't said what type of other games they'd follow with in the ME setting.. sure there might be other rpg stories, but they could always try something else.. They've created a universe, let's just see what they come up with to use it..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But, Kaftan in his rant has a little bit of true in it. ME is one of the best originals IP that Bioware has created, while not on the same status as the Forgotten Realms (due to age difference) it has the potential to equate major franchises.

PS: I think Boo wants BW to stop making starship troopers and focus on BGIII. But that's like an opinion :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, ME is so horrible than even the person who bashes it calls it 'very good'. LMAO

I don't hate it. I've had my fun with it, and its on a shelf now where its gonna do a good job of collecting dust.

That's the kind of fire and forget fun the game offers and I was aware of it when I bought it.

Like I said, its a very good game.

I'm bashing the undeserved legendary status that some people and the press are so keen to award it with.

PS: I think Boo wants BW to stop making starship troopers and focus on BGIII. But that's like an opinion unsure.gif

I'd rather see some other licensed material, WoD in particular.

As for BG, I'd love to see the more popular characters rendered with ME production values, but I don't see what the point of this return would be. That story was finished, as well as it could be at the time.

But I think Bio is taking a break from having to partner up with WoTC and the like at the moment, and trying to experiment with their own worlds..

Its significantly cheaper, and the WoTC are notoriously annoying to work with. I've heard the same of White Wolf. Too much meddling... But they do offer pedigree and tons of finished content.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

*screams in denial*

I remembered there's more to ST than DS 9, so yeah, it's true.

Dunno why, but I feel like they're just looking for an excuse to spam codex entries. :lol: Why they write games instead of lexicons is beyond me.

*screams in denial*

I remembered there's more to ST than DS 9, so yeah, it's true.
Particularly, if Shep saved the Council, the similarities are much more obvious.

Which is another reason to go full Jerk in ME1 and let them burn. The police state-power vacuum feeling in ME2 that way is more satisfying, I think, but worse for explaining the Alliance (and by extension, the Council's) apparent inaction in the face of ULTIMATE THREATS OF DOOM.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"She does mention that she doesn't consider herself to be working for Cerberus, but for Shep."

Thanks for proving my point. She's there due to her ehro worshipping of Shepard. Plain, and simple. I like it when people abck it up espciially when they are trying to disprove me. L0L

"That story was finished, as well as it could be at the time."

BG series can easily continue.

"I'm bashing the undeserved legendary status that some people and the press are so keen to award it with."

Not as underserved as the pedestal you put a stupid little rodent on. L0LZ

"Its significantly cheaper, and the WoTC are notoriously annoying to work with. I've heard the same of White Wolf. Too much meddling... But they do offer pedigree and tons of finished content."

Yet, probably half the products based on D&D have bombed eitherc ritically, commercially or both. That 'pedigree' is a myth.

Edited by Volourn

Thanks for proving my point. She's there due to her ehro worshipping of Shepard. Plain, and simple. I like it when people abck it up espciially when they are trying to disprove me. L0L
I proved nothing save selective reading on your part. L0L r00fles etc

So Volourn has to be among the top five dumbest people I've encountered on the internet.

Did I make your list?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

And if you mention Baldurs Gate 2 again I will punch you in the face.

I'm happy to hold him.

"So Volourn has to be among the top five dumbest people I've encountered on the internet."

Is that the best you got Mr. Buttthurt? Are you crying again? Better do better than this as you fail much like ME2 and its dumbed down character system and combat.

Or Troika trying to run a successful game company.

Or Bethesda trying to make a worthy FO sequel.

Or, your mother trying to give birth to a respectful human being.

R00fles!

"So Volourn has to be among the top five dumbest people I've encountered on the internet."

Is that the best you got Mr. Buttthurt? Are you crying again? Better do better than this as you fail much like ME2 and its dumbed down character system and combat.

Or Troika trying to run a successful game company.

Or Bethesda trying to make a worthy FO sequel.

Or, your mother trying to give birth to a respectful human being.

R00fles!

Aram I believe this could be considered vindication?

On another note, all except Trokia running a successful company are opinions.

What you call dumbed down, I would call elegant and streamlined.

Bethesda, for many people, made a worthy successor. It is your opinion that it is not.

There are three things I do not like about ME2.

1. Thermal Clips

2. Lack of customizable armor, like what Shepherd has, for the squad.

3. The pitiful cameos of Ashley and Liara.

Beyond that it is an okay game. I prefer ME1, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire over it, but it is definitely better than NWN1 and KotOR.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"Bethesda, for many people, made a worthy successor. It is your opinion that it is not. "

Thanks for stating the obvious. OMGZ I sahred my opinmionz. Oh noes!

HEY EVERYONE SOMEONE SHARED THEIR OPINION AND THEY DID IT ON THE INTERNETZ! THE HORRORZ!

"3. The pitiful cameos of Ashley and Liara."

Agree with Ashley; but Liara wasn't too bad as she had a pretty important position and she actually gave you quests and actually interacted with you in a meangful way and she actaully made sense in her reasoning. She also showed some growth. Also, I'm sure her hate for a particular being will (or should) be further explained in ME3.

Edited by Volourn