Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

David Lynch should direct Borderlands

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Can we, down the line, get a Traveling Wilburys movie tied into the BECU (Beatles Extended Cinematic Universe)? It could be a crossover event with the HECU (Heartbreakers Extended Cinematic Universe).

The smarter way to go would be to create the TWCU (Traveling Wilburys Cinematic Universe, colloquially known as the Wilburyverse). They could do Beatles movies, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers movies, Electric Light Orchestra movies, Bob Dylan movies, and Roy Orbison movies, all culminating in an Avengers-style Traveling Wilburys team-up movie.

This seems the natural way to keep it going.  Not sure what Phase we get to Willburys and All-Starr Band, though.  

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

13 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I'd buy it other than Cate Blanchett. Maybe she lost a bet?

thought the same thing when we first saw the galadriel temptation scene from lord of the rings.

after thor: ragnarok and pinocchio, am accepting ms. blanchett takes herself less serious than does most o' her fans.

ms. blanchett does the vo for spazzatura.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

I'd buy it other than Cate Blanchett. Maybe she lost a bet?

Or she got offered good coin.  Lady's gotta eat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Since I'm such a Borderlands fan (except the 3rd game 😖), colour me interested!!!

Crossing fingers and hoping it catches the spirit of the game

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have never played Borderlands and calling Eli Roth a hack would be an insult to hacks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've never been able to get into Borderlands and over the years I've figured out that I just can't Diablo in any form. It looks like Crazy Enough to Work: The Movie and I'll probably check it out whenever it comes to a streaming service I have.

I feel kinda bad but that's my default state for all movies nowadays and I didn't mean it as a strike against this one in particular. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I feel kinda bad but that's my default state for all movies nowadays and I didn't mean it as a strike against this one in particular. 

With so much content constantly coming out and no real shared social consciousness on what's "important" to watch so that you can participate in the current zeitgeist, there's not really any pressure to immediately watch anything anyways. Really, the same issue applies to TV, video games, books, and music as well.

The Teachers' Lounge (2023). Or, uh...

3iOjR46.jpeg

Yeah, let's just stick with the first one. Premise as quoted from Wikipedia: "A teacher [is] tasked with finding out which of her students is responsible for a series of thefts." Normally, I'm all about backhand 'complimenting' both French and German cinema even when I kind of like something, but this was an honest to god great movie from beginning to end, certainly my film of the year for 2023 until/if ever proven elsewise. This film is like...kind of an anti-thriller, insofar that it doesn't really have much of the normal traits/tropes of a thriller (even up to and including the conclusion of the film!), but you will be stressed out watching this kindhearted teacher and her classroom of normal 12-year-olds trying to navigate difficult interpersonal conflict just as if it were a thriller.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Apostrophe after and not before the "s"...
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

*watches that Borderlands trailer*

As a huge fan of the Borderlands 1 and 2 and a ... uh ... player of BL3 stuff, my reaction to chr. casting (all of it, not just Hart) and the oddly cheap looking cos-play look is still

Edit: feels like they're going for a Guardians vibe, and a younger audience.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tried the first game once in coop. Was bored like hell. Couldn't stand it at all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

^ To be fair, especially as I grew older, I try to be pretty open minded or at least neutral. I mean I'm probably one of the "few" older trekkies/trekkers/whatever who actually somewhat likes the first two Star Trek reboot films (the rest were meh) because I looked past the ST and just saw them as silly action movies, unconcerned with what they were doing to any lore.

Games into movies tho ... at least ones that aren't full blown story games (eg, Last of Us) ... it's not about lore, it's turning game graphics into live action. Never feels like it turns out right/I usually dislike it. Maybe akin to some anime vs live-action gripes a bit. Eh...maybe BL the movie will be lightly entertaining.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

An incredible small scale crime drama. It's sleazy and grimy in a way that you'd want the film to be, there are no criminal empires or masterminds, just a small gang of addicts who knock over pharmacies in order to consume and deal drugs. Because of this for me it has more heart and hits closer to home, I've known more than a few people who've gotten addicted to substances; of those more than a few have done less than legal acts to feed their addiction.

It also looks and sounds dope.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

It's a classic film that has some very beautiful scenes. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Do I think a 20-something brit showing up and showing the Arabs how to really do desert warfare is ridiculous western savior bull****? Damn right. The film serves to mythologize Lawrence's legend rather than be historically accurate, while the man himself was remarkable he certainly did not single-handedly lead the Arabs to defeat the Turks on the Arabian front and (try to) hand them democracy against the will of the British and French empires. We can go on and on about "products of the time" and "dramatization" and all that noise, but at the end of the day I think dramatized war stories (ie real events interpreted into fiction) that tend to make heroes, saviors, and/or legends out of single men end up reducing the many people who fought and died to just side characters at best so I'm inherently biased against them. It is a very good movie though.

Notably there are no lady characters at all in this movie. Women show up once to sing at the army once and otherwise are completely absent. That's to be expected from a 60s war movie but it does feel strange in 2024.

• Like 1

The Girl From Monday (2005)

If there ever was a KP movie, this would be it. A satirical sci-fi where the world filmed on a shoestring budget and early digital that makes it a headache inducing fever dream with such memorable lines such as "let's **** and increase our buying power".

Speaking of movies, I read this and thought I'd share it with @Bartimaeus so we could both hate on it.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Speaking of movies, I read this and thought I'd share it with @Bartimaeus so we could both hate on it.

giphy.gif

This guy stupid or something? No wonder all his movies are hot garbage.

. . .

Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with what he's saying. Obviously, what we value is very different, since I almost entirely remember movies by characters and what they do (and yes, especially dialogue!), but I'm not everyone, and clearly some people do like his films. This kind of thinking will probably, 999/1000 times, mean you're not going to have characters that I think are interesting or fun or pretty much anything else, which almost certainly means that at best, I'm going to be pretty neutral towards your film. So yeah, I guess it starts to make a lot of sense why I hate Denis Villaneuve films. That French Canadian bastard. It was nice they gave Ethan Hawke the last word with the obvious rebuttal to that nonsense to end the article.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

41 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

giphy.gif

This guy stupid or something? No wonder all his movies are hot garbage.

. . .

Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with what he's saying. Obviously, what we value is very different, since I almost entirely remember movies by characters and what they do (and yes, especially dialogue!), but I'm not everyone, and clearly some people do like his films. This kind of thinking will probably, 999/1000 times, mean you're not going to have characters that I think are interesting or fun or pretty much anything else, which almost certainly means that at best, I'm going to be pretty neutral towards your film. So yeah, I guess it starts to make a lot of sense why I hate Denis Villaneuve films. That French Canadian bastard. It was nice they gave Ethan Hawke the last word with the obvious rebuttal to that nonsense to end the article.

Having just watched the entire Ethan Hawke tiktok, it goes even harder than what the article quoted.

I would love to see a movie without any dialogue. But that would still require interesting characters and nothing that Villeneuve has done makes me think he can pull that off as all his major characters are flatter than Hank Hill's ass. There is no damn emotion in any of his films and as such all of the sound is noise and all the image is lifeless. Cinema is not just photography with motion and sound.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Like 2

I'm gonna rewatch Dune again before seeing the second part and see if I can spot what you guys are talking about, but yeah I don't really get what you are talking about. What do you expect to see in a desert planet, or is it mostly the color balance that ticks you off. I also thought the acting was fairly on point.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP