What are you Playing Now? - What doesn't kill you, gives you XP

16 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I'm pretty sure you don't even move. In the sense that you don't get closer or further from planets.  It's basically a static background and then endless room to move. At least, that's how it feels.

That's how it works.

6 hours ago, HoonDing said:

So I landed on the exact north pole of the first planet in Starfield and there was a military base there. But considering how the game works, something different spawns for everybody else?

I dont think its different for people.  Just that the planets weren't hand crafted.  Like no man's sky procedurally creates planets in real time, starfield procedurally created planets and then used that for their game... at least thats how I understand it.

Sea of Stars demo: I've heard so much about this little rpg game, so even tho I typically don't like turn-based combat, thought I'd give the demo a whirl.

What's shown off in that is all very cute, and I like the small environment interactions. Being a demo, there are ofc a lot of "can't do that in the demo" spots/points, and it sorta felt like it maybe fast-skipped over some things to show you certain stuff earlier. Could be wrong tho. Combat in the demo wasn't all that difficult per se, but, y'know, just the demo, no clue of later game. It was nice to see that for those that are less combat oriented, there's a ring/item you can turn on that gives a huge HP boost or something, so you can focus less on tactics or whatever I guess. The usual skills, items, cooking/food, etc.

Anyway, I liked the throwback pixel (is that what you say these days?) artstyle, occasional goofiness, the demo's light "figure out how to get that thing over there" tasks, and I'd imagine if you love/d this type of rpg, it's probably a good one. Probably not something you'd play for hours and hours at a sitting, but good light fun. That said, I still don't like turn based combat in rpg's and this one didn't change my personal mind, so I'll probably skip. But I can understand the overall positive reception. Charming, is what I'd call it, perhaps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Playing some Armored Core 6. It's good, but sometimes I start to question my sanity about why I torture myself with those From Software boss battles which I suck too much to do well. So far it isn't as bad as in Elden Ring, but there's a few fights now that I had to repeat a bazillion times and it almost makes me want to just never boot up the game ever again.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Redoing Railroad Tycoon 3, the Germany scenario is still tricky for me. Funny that following it is the Great Britain one which is an absolute joke.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did more Armored Core 6. Looks like it suffers a bit from the same issue that Bloodborne had. Some fights are impossibly hard, while many of the other fights are super easy. Was stuck at the Sea Spider for a whole day until I finally managed to take that bitch down. Everything after that now was almost a cakewalk in comparison. Not sure if it's because the Sea Spider made me git gud, or if it's just a general balance issue.

In any case, my go to strategy right now is to double-gatling into everyone's faces + missile spam whenever possible. The double gatlings don't have much ammo, but they are melting almost everything if I manage to hit. And most enemies don't seem to like it if I stay close to them -- so that's what I'm doing, just hugging them as much as possible. Some enemies are too fast, and they are dodging away from my hail of bullets, in which case I jump up and go into hover mode (tetrapod legs for the win), and splatter them from top-down. Ez.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Alright, just finished AC6. As I suspected, the Sea Spider was the hardest boss in the game. Had to repeat a few of the later boss fights a few times as well, but not as extreme. Most of them I did in 2 or 3 attempts, only robot Malenia took me something around 10 maybe.

All in all a good game, despite some annoyances. Kinda tempted to try NG+ now. Especially since I don't like the ending that I got.

Oh, and since this is one of the few From Software games that I was actually able to completely finish, I'm guessing it's one of their easier titles. 😄

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Needed a break from BG3, so I fired up Enter the Gungeon. Did a Rainbow Run with the Robot, and a couple of regular Gunslinger runs.

Still missing the co-op unlocks for the Finished Gun. Probably will never get those. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm impressed with how many secrets there are in Remnant 2: Illusory walls, pressure plates, passages hidden behind breakables, cliffs that look like they have nothing but death beneath them only to reveal ledges to drop down to upon closer inspection, and so on. I sometimes go back to (rerolled versions of) areas I've been to before in adventure mode to grind for materials and scrap (scrap is currency) to upgrade newly obtained weapons and mutators and I'll find multiple secrets I missed the first (and potentially second and third) time through. It's not always items I find either, sometimes it's a boss fight. I've run into optional bosses in the darndest of places. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

TESIII: Morrowind. Watched a wizard experiencing falling damage, explored slavers' cave, talked to the locals. Also realised that I do not remember how to rest, fast travel, or sort the inventory by weight or whether it was possible at all. Still, I like the dialogue system with random NPCs (the new information becomes available to ask to elaborate) and the consistency of the replies (so I do not have to parse them only to gain the same information). While it is not what I would want from a party-based CRPG, it works well with the sandbox design of TES.
The story so far - I was told to go to Balmora and find Caius Casades.

• Like 4

Damn, I kept playing Armored Core 6 since it instantly moves you into NG+ and ... there are new missions now. Was playing one of the first missions when suddenly a popup shows up and I get a choice to betray my allies. Also some other missions later are swapped out with something else. So while the difficulty isn't that different from my first playthrough, I'm still getting new armor parts and weapons, AND there seems to be more story that unfolds.

• Like 2

Elden Ring - some build i left in the middle of nowhere, now trying to find where i am in the story and finish it.

Haven't finished a game in quite some time. I just lose interest in the middle. 😕 

• Sad 2

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I finished my AC6 playthrough in 3 days. Everything after that now feels just like bonus content if you can't get enough. So I wouldn't say it has a ridiculous size. :p

3 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

TESIII: Morrowind. Watched a wizard experiencing falling damage, explored slavers' cave, talked to the locals. Also realised that I do not remember how to rest, fast travel, or sort the inventory by weight or whether it was possible at all. Still, I like the dialogue system with random NPCs (the new information becomes available to ask to elaborate) and the consistency of the replies (so I do not have to parse them only to gain the same information). While it is not what I would want from a party-based CRPG, it works well with the sandbox design of TES.

Are you playing it through an engine reimplementation like OpenMW or are you rawdogging it? If you're rawdogging it, how does the game run on modern systems? Did you have to jump through hoops of fire to get it to run?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Majek said:

Elden Ring - some build i left in the middle of nowhere, now trying to find where i am in the story and finish it.

Haven't finished a game in quite some time. I just lose interest in the middle. 😕 

I saw this comment recently: "Starfield is like you're over 40 years old. There is a universe to explore, but you're already tired from work and it's time to sleep." ...I'm not over 40 years old (or even particularly close to it), but it still struck a chord.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Are you playing it through an engine reimplementation like OpenMW or are you rawdogging it? If you're rawdogging it, how does the game run on modern systems? Did you have to jump through hoops of fire to get it to run?

The default GOG version (GOTY, v.2.0.0.7). It did not require any additional configuration (as far as I remember - it says that I installed it on 2022/05/03) and runs reasonably well on Windows 10 (the window outlines appear if I switch between applications, disappears if I switch between resolutions).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Majek said:

Haven't finished a game in quite some time. I just lose interest in the middle

Often the same. Although usually earlier. Sometimes the initial learning process keeps me interested but after that part is over. whatever is the general game loops of most games no longer keeps me going.

I am so hoping that Death Stranding 2 is at least close to as good as the first one was, for me. It may end up as the game that'll actually push me to build a new rig by the time it reaches PC in, oh, maybe 2026.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

18 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

I replayed Morrowind about 12 months ago and I loved it, I included some good mods. I enjoyed exploring the Dwemer ruins and fighting the various Daedra 

I loved the lore found in books and also the various factions that you can join. I think Morrowind has  the best narrative of all ES games I have played...it was always creepy meeting Dagoth Ur followers and see the land decline due to the Red Mountain 

Overall Daggerfall is my favorite ES game and I still havent played Skyrim but I will be, Im just waiting any  final, final, final versions to be released because I only have 3 versions of the game and I dont want to miss out on another release 🥂

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 9/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, Theonlygarby said:

Played an hour or so of starfield.  It's fine so far.  It feels a lot like fallout 4 in space, which should not be surprising I guess.

I get the feeling ill give up on the game about 20 hours in. 

Yeah, got similar vibes. Feels like a mix of Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky. Game's "fine" so far, which means it's better than Fallout 4, which I couldn't stand until I started modding it.

So far it certainly doesn't feel like it's worth the insane asking price, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, marelooke said:

Yeah, got similar vibes. Feels like a mix of Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky. Game's "fine" so far, which means it's better than Fallout 4, which I couldn't stand until I started modding it.

So far it certainly doesn't feel like it's worth the insane asking price, as far as I'm concerned.

I've decided to (or at least try to) stop talking about starfield.  I think I'm just annoying people at this point... but yeah 10+ hours I gave it, and I'm done now.  Maybe I'll revist it eventually, but I kind of doubt it.

I think the most important thing in Morrowind is to make some item of levitation early on. Unlike Skyrim, you can float upward and pass over any obstacle.

It might take time to float up to wherever, but it is so nice not to need to run around ten hills and fight a dozen random mirelurks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).