Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

So apparently by buying one of the pricier Diablo 4 editions, you get access to the game 4 days earlier than people who buy the regular edition.

Dunno if companies do that regularly these days, but what a stroke of genius! You get to let people in stages instead of all at once which is better for server load, AND they pay for it!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kanisatha said:

The false accusers should be doing prison time for knowingly and intentionally causing such irrepairable harm to someone.

They had to pay seven figure sum which is plenty.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

9 hours ago, kirottu said:

They had to pay seven figure sum which is plenty.

8 hours ago, Lexx said:

They have to pay it but will they pay it? Can they even pay it?

I share Lexx's skepticism. Even if they pay it, they will probably get help from their supporters to do it such that none of this ultimately truly hurts them. Meanwhile, the damage to Avellone is very real and very permanent. So totally unjust and unfair.

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

They have to pay it but will they pay it? Can they even pay it?

I think they have to, it turns into a debt that has to be managed, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I think they can just file for bankruptcy to avoid paying it?

Ah ok.  Well in that case, maybe Avellone can milk his supporters.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 3/26/2023 at 4:21 PM, MrBrown said:

So apparently by buying one of the pricier Diablo 4 editions, you get access to the game 4 days earlier than people who buy the regular edition.

Dunno if companies do that regularly these days, but what a stroke of genius! You get to let people in stages instead of all at once which is better for server load, AND they pay for it!

That's nothing new. New World did it, Lost Ark did it, Hogwarts legacy did it.

Do you think letting people in stages for no additional money will be met with understanding or do you think people will mald? No to mention, do you expect devs to randomly select people to get early access for free? On what criteria (which will be asked 100%).

Another reason for me not to buy Diablo 4. They already want 70 bucks for the game, and then still try to fleece me for more. No thanks, it's too big of a turn-off for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't mind cosmetics or this newer play a few days early stuff, if it's single-player. With the latter just being a choice of impatience over funds. There's no gameplay reason to spend extra.

But online with some element of even minor competitiveness (ladders, "battle passes", whatever), even if it's just bragging rights and cosmetic rewards, it's much more dubious because it gives a distinct advantage to play/level/familiarize early. Now, I don't know what Blizzard is doing, maybe the first season/battle pass won't begin until a week after release day or something, which would make it less of a potential issue/advantage, but eh y'all know what I'm saying.

I find pricing the seasons/battle passes more aggravating. I would occasionally do half the season progression in D3 for funsies to get/check out the season benefit/new game feature early (vs. waiting until season end and they dumped it into non-season play) then stop. I'd certainly not pay extra just to do that.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, btw, if you were interested in the RE4-RM, and you have a gpu with 8GB (or less) vram, don't put it anywhere near max settings (especially texture setting), even at 1440, maybe not even 1080. And definitely don't put on RT, unless maybe you have 16+ vram (or maybe it's just a general RT bug, could be fixed later). 😛
I will say that I had it at 2GB texture memory for a while and while I did notice a wall texture occasionally being low-res, it was very rare and often too dark for me to notice much anyway, and generally speaking it largely looks the same as when I tried higher. 3GB setting is nicer to use maybe, but I do have 11vram.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

At 17:00 - customizable difficulty via accessories (that show on-screen, can't hide you're using them). I think my lazy butt likes that way more than just an "Easy/Story" mode. So one can keep some combat elements normalized and others 1-button or slow-down/quicktime-like easy. I wasn't very interested in ff16 (even as an action game, nvm "FF game") but this video sorta makes me interested. Not just for that aspect, but overall too.

Sideline: 24:00 - yes you can pet the dog.

...still, I'm not sure. Difficulty customization doesn't mean it'll be fun to actually play through the whole game.
Also the way AAA PC releases have been going recently, I feel like I should just get a PS5 be done with it.
...to paraphrase Asmongold: "On console, smooth 3 second load times. On PC, it'll crash."  Haha, yea....

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

new lamplighters dev diary.

HA! Good Fun!

ps fixed... maybe. aside, devs says they ain't doing "camp," so am taking them at their word, but the characters sure sound and look to be humorously exaggerated while leaning heavy on the clichés. is accidental?

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

new lamplighters dev diary.

HA! Good Fun!

That link doesn't really lead anywhere for me... 🤔

Either it really doesn't lead anywhere or I'm clicking it wrong 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

more lamplighters 

Dev Diary 4#: Infiltration into Turn-Based Combat

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Nintendo has formally stated it will repair faulty Switch Joy-Con controllers - even if they are out of the standard 24-month warranty - free of charge until further notice.

This offer applies to Switch owners living in the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, and covers "responsiveness syndrome irrespective of whether this is caused by a defect or by wear and tear".

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-pledges-to-repair-switch-joy-con-free-in-uk-until-further-notice

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

2 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Broken roads is supposedly coming out this year.  Looks interesting, hopefully it's good, and can scratch that crpg itch.

https://youtu.be/2PKGXJyJjWY

If nothing else, the art style is great.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Only thing that bugs me is the single camel idle animation which seems to be playing for each critter at the same time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."